PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Mastercraft Bilge Pump

mjdavis
05-28-2012, 04:17 PM
My bilge pump quit working this weekend. Its happened before and the reset button on the dash has always fixed it but not this time. Where is the pump located? It seems like it might be under the drivers seat?? Do I have to take the floor apart to service it? Any hints would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

pram
05-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Is there an opening in the floor beside the drivers seat? plastic cover that screws in and out of the floor?

mjdavis
05-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Pram, thanks for your reply. There is no opening or cutout around my drivers seat. I've always wondered about this pump as I heard/felt the pump run... How am I ever going to get to that? Perhaps an opening was put in in later years to accomodate this issue??

eurosysytem0
05-28-2012, 04:35 PM
I agree with Pram. Ive just sold an 89 prostar. There was a circular Panel adjacent to the Drivers seat. On mine it was under the passenger lift up seat near the battery well. Once you find the pump select "On" and lift the float. The pump should run. If not, its probably busted- especially if your circuit breaker has been tripping: a sure sign its shorting. Not difficult to change. only two wires.
good Luck

mjdavis
05-28-2012, 04:43 PM
I love you guys! The round opening was right next to the battery under my jumper cables. I've opened it until now. I always thought the pump was located more starboard and wondered why it wasn't centerline (which it actually is!).

Is skidim the best place to order a new pump?

pram
05-28-2012, 04:49 PM
ski dim has great prices on their stuff for sure

that is the pump that I just replaced in my boat this spring, I ended up have to order it in. I didn't want to drill any new holes in the bottom of my boat to mount a different base

mjdavis
05-28-2012, 04:54 PM
One more question, am I going to be cutting the old wires and splicing the new connections? I can't find a disconnect between the pump and a cable bundle that the wires go into. I don't really want to disrupt that bundle if I don't have to.

pram
05-28-2012, 05:02 PM
if it is the original pump, there should be a 2 way plug in that bundle. Just cut the zap strap holding it all together and it at it

you will need to solder the old plug onto the new pump though