PDA

View Full Version : Another Drowning - Tubing accident

bjames
05-28-2012, 12:23 PM
We arrived at the boat launch on Saturday afternoon and saw 4 police cars fire rescue and a helicopter in the distance. Apparaently one of the three tubers (29 years old) who was not wearing a life jacket was ejected from the tube and didnt surface. Just another reason why we all need to take proper safety precausions when boating and recreating. I overheard someone say that the boat driver did not have a spotter on board and lost track of where the guy fell out.

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/search+for+missing+boater+at+wabamun+lake+now+a+re covery+mission/6442649225/story.html

All this happended in the vacinity that I wakeboard, Ive been in the water 3 times since May 18th and when I see boats leaving the dock with a tube/wakeboards and no wet suits, I cant help to cringe. The water temp has been hovering between 57 - 60F.

The resuce was called off and has not turned into a recover effort. I assume that at this point they are waiting the 7-10 days for the body to resurface. They have asked people to be on the lookout and call 911 if they happen to find the body.

Mistakes aside, I feel for the family.

scott023
05-28-2012, 01:43 PM
This is horrible to hear.

BrianT
05-28-2012, 01:48 PM
I saw that on Global last night. Same thing happened at Chestermere last summer. No lifejackets and the driver ripping around like a fool.

Feel bad for all involved.

SkiDog
05-28-2012, 02:16 PM
I saw that on Global last night. Same thing happened at Chestermere last summer. No lifejackets and the driver ripping around like a fool.

Feel bad for all involved.

I don't. Harsh to say, but i wish tubes were outlawed! I will NEVER pull a tuber!:mad:

pram
05-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Eddie that is an absurd statement IMO. We tube all the time and have had no issues.

Would you way the same thing if the moron was out there skyskiing without a life jacket and drowned?

No offense to the family, and this is a tragic incident, but you're an idiot for doing any water sport without a flotation device on

scott023
05-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Eddie that is an absurd statement IMO. We tube all the time and have had no issues.

Would you way the same thing if the moron was out there skyskiing without a life jacket and drowned?

No offense to the family, and this is a tragic incident, but you're an idiot for doing any water sport without a flotation device on

DING DING DING

BrianT
05-28-2012, 02:43 PM

I agree 100%, BUT I have seen countless pictures of surfers with no floatation devices on. I wear mine no matter what when I go in the water. We have a rule for our 2 kids. No lifejacket and they can't even get near a dock. They have to wear them 100% of the time no questions asked and same goes for any of their friends that come.

pram
05-28-2012, 02:49 PM
We do not surf without a jacket, nor tube, nor ski, nor wake board

If my boat is underway, all the kids have a jacket on regardless if they are mine or not.

If we are floating no jackets required

SkiDog
05-28-2012, 03:25 PM

Ok, MAYBE that was a little harsh. To me, and maybe its just cause I'm getting older, but riding a tube in which you have NO control over is just plain STUPID! My across the street neighbor's son crashed while riding double or triple, and cracked his skull pretty bad that he had to stay a few days in the hospital. Wearing a life jacket, but still, crashing bodies @ high speed is a recipe for disaster. I meant no disrespect to the family in the above post, but every time I hear about this kinda thing happening, it just pisses me off! The either the rider or driver should have had better sense. But you can't fix stupid, especially if rider wasn't wearing a PFD.:(

bjames
05-28-2012, 03:58 PM
I even purchased a helmet for wakeboarding on the weekend as i never wore one before. I am more worried about a ruptured ear drums then a head injury, as I have been taking some pretty good falls and thought its time to protect the noggen :)

pram
05-28-2012, 04:10 PM
I put a hole in my ear drum 3 or 4 years ago wake boarding and it still isn't the same, the helmet is a great idea

pram
05-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Ok, MAYBE that was a little harsh. To me, and maybe its just cause I'm getting older, but riding a tube in which you have NO control over is just plain STUPID! My across the street neighbor's son crashed while riding double or triple, and cracked his skull pretty bad that he had to stay a few days in the hospital. Wearing a life jacket, but still, crashing bodies @ high speed is a recipe for disaster. I meant no disrespect to the family in the above post, but every time I hear about this kinda thing happening, it just pisses me off! The either the rider or driver should have had better sense. But you can't fix stupid, especially if rider wasn't wearing a PFD.:(

We tube pretty hard, 3, 4 tubes at a time trying to knock each other off. I have been hurt way worse wake boarding than I have ever been hurt tubing

SkiDog
05-28-2012, 04:19 PM
We tube pretty hard, 3, 4 tubes at a time trying to knock each other off. I have been hurt way worse wake boarding than I have ever been hurt tubing

Maybe you should try Skyskiing then.:D

pram
05-28-2012, 04:23 PM
LOL

I have given that a shot also, it was fun

scott023
05-28-2012, 04:31 PM
We do not surf without a jacket, nor tube, nor ski, nor wake board

If my boat is underway, all the kids have a jacket on regardless if they are mine or not.

If we are floating no jackets required

We have similar rules, but when underway mine don't have to have jackets on. Unless, of course, Paul is driving. He's been know to do power turns and has been extremely successful in his attempts to bring a lot of water onto my boat. :D

scott023
05-28-2012, 04:32 PM

This explains a lot.... :uglyhamme

pram
05-28-2012, 04:42 PM
We have similar rules, but when underway mine don't have to have jackets on. Unless, of course, Paul is driving. He's been know to do power turns and has been extremely successful in his attempts to bring a lot of water onto my boat. :D

I does what I can to wash that boat

Someones gotta clean it :rolleyes:

scott023
05-28-2012, 04:49 PM
I does what I can to wash that boat

Someones gotta clean it :rolleyes:

Right, cause one needs three thousand liters in the interior to clean it... :D

pram
05-28-2012, 05:03 PM
well with your cleaning schedule that was only a start of what was needed :D

scott023
05-28-2012, 05:05 PM
well with your cleaning schedule that was only a start of what was needed :D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BrooksfamX2
05-28-2012, 06:33 PM
I don't. Harsh to say, but i wish tubes were outlawed! I will NEVER pull a tuber!:mad:

We have been tubing for 30 years........gotten not more that a bruse. I have been shaken up much more on a ski and a wakeboard.........it just takes some common sense which not everyone has.

BrooksfamX2
05-28-2012, 06:36 PM
Ok, MAYBE that was a little harsh. To me, and maybe its just cause I'm getting older, but riding a tube in which you have NO control over is just plain STUPID! ...........(

Its the driver that has all the control. He should be the one to make it safe. If the driver is not a tuber, then he is not likely to be a good tube pulling driver as he does not know whats going on back there to the tuber. I am on the north side of 50 and still love to tube and pull tubers.

19_Skier
05-28-2012, 08:18 PM
We have been tubing for 30 years........gotten not more that a bruse. I have been shaken up much more on a ski and a wakeboard.........it just takes some common sense which not everyone has.

It seems like some of the tube designs are getting out of control - there was one on our lake this weekend that actually catches air. The guy was a good 10 feet in the air behind the boat, which IMO, was going way too fast. I was waiting for a sudden crosswind to flip him, nothing like hitting water from 10 feet up doing 40 mph.

like you said, common sense....

Nick911
05-28-2012, 08:29 PM
I even purchased a helmet for wakeboarding on the weekend as i never wore one before. I am more worried about a ruptured ear drums then a head injury, as I have been taking some pretty good falls and thought its time to protect the noggen :)

Off topic but good call I ruptured my ear drum last year wakeboarding.

toolz
05-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Back in my college years (a looong time ago) I witnessed a new boat owner get killed on a tube behind his own boat. The drunk driver swung him into a bass boat and he landed in the boat with a broken neck. It happened about 30 feet from us. It made a lasting impression on me, but I have no problem pulling tubers, so long as safety is observed. Flotation has to be used, and no drinkers get to participate.

mzimme
05-29-2012, 08:46 AM
I was out cruising on the lake at probably 30mph this weekend when a runabout came flying past me pulling a tuber not older than 10 years old. That driver must have been doing a solid 40+ mph pulling a little kid on the tube. Idiot....

scott023
05-29-2012, 09:41 AM
I was out cruising on the lake at probably 30mph this weekend when a runabout came flying past me pulling a tuber not older than 10 years old. That driver must have been doing a solid 40+ mph pulling a little kid on the tube. Idiot....

We see this all too often. Scary as heck.

madcityskier
05-29-2012, 09:59 AM
It seems like some of the tube designs are getting out of control - there was one on our lake this weekend that actually catches air. The guy was a good 10 feet in the air behind the boat, which IMO, was going way too fast. I was waiting for a sudden crosswind to flip him, nothing like hitting water from 10 feet up doing 40 mph.

like you said, common sense....

Most of these tubes were recalled for that very thing. There are some scary videos on youtube of kite tubes flipping people off from great heights at high rates of speed. To me this all falls under the category of any product not used in a responsible manner can be dangerous. Nothing on the water replaces good judgement.
PFD's, reasonable speed, being aware of others and other forms of common sense save lives. But as with most things, there is still a risk involved.
The most you can do is try to be careful as you're having your fun.

2RLAKE
05-29-2012, 12:57 PM
we saw a tuber this weekend without a life jacket ... complete incompetence on his behalf and that of the driver .... you cant force common sense!

SkiDog
05-29-2012, 01:45 PM

I rest my case.:(

BrooksfamX2
05-29-2012, 01:57 PM
I rest my case.:(

It's not the tubes that are the issue, it's the users...just like guns...........:mad:

mzimme
05-29-2012, 02:25 PM
It's not the tubes that are the issue, it's the users...just like guns...........:mad:

Agreed... there's a lot of fun you can have on a tube. Throwing 2 or 3 tubes off the back and having "tube wars" has been some of the most fun I've had behind a boat. The problem comes when the driver starts making it dangerous for the people behind the boat. 20mph... good. 40mph... bad.

19_Skier
05-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Most of these tubes were recalled for that very thing. There are some scary videos on youtube of kite tubes flipping people off from great heights at high rates of speed. To me this all falls under the category of any product not used in a responsible manner can be dangerous. Nothing on the water replaces good judgement.
PFD's, reasonable speed, being aware of others and other forms of common sense save lives. But as with most things, there is still a risk involved.
The most you can do is try to be careful as you're having your fun.

I can see why those tubes were recalled but who was the genius who thought they were a good idea in the first place :confused: Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say it is the manufacturers fault - I completely agree with you that the responsibility is on those who are on the tube and in the boat.

lettmeknow
05-29-2012, 03:11 PM

We should outlaw idiots, not tubing!

SkiDog
05-29-2012, 03:14 PM
We should outlaw idiots, not tubing!

Good luck with that! It'd be easier to make Obama a great president!:D

mzimme
05-29-2012, 03:15 PM
I can see why those tubes were recalled but who was the genius who thought they were a good idea in the first place :confused: Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say it is the manufacturers fault - I completely agree with you that the responsibility is on those who are on the tube and in the boat.

People started putting ropes that were WAY too long behind the boats and going 30-60 ft in the air. People also drove way too fast. The idea was to be about 10ft off the water... not 30+.

lettmeknow
05-29-2012, 03:19 PM

Very true! Tough call though

pram
05-29-2012, 03:31 PM

Am I hearing that you are regretting voting for him now :confused:

:D:D:D:D:D

bjames
05-30-2012, 01:24 PM
The few times I pulled a tube last year, the maximum speed we pull is around 20mph. Tubing puts a lot of force on the pylon.

pram
05-30-2012, 03:04 PM
The few times I pulled a tube last year, the maximum speed we pull is around 20mph. Tubing puts a lot of force on the pylon.

I have pulled 5 tubes at a time with 5 guys in the 175lb range with no issues

a person who doesn't know how to get up on a ski will put more force on the pylon than a tuber will

when the kids are on the tubes I quite often will pull the rope, just to mess with them as they think I am going to unhook them from the pylon and let them float

thatsmrmastercraft
05-30-2012, 03:19 PM
I have pulled 5 tubes at a time with 5 guys in the 175lb range with no issues

a person who doesn't know how to get up on a ski will put more force on the pylon than a tuber will

when the kids are on the tubes I quite often will pull the rope, just to mess with them as they think I am going to unhook them from the pylon and let them float

I have seen some darn big pyramids pulled by ski boats from the pylon before all the clubs had Dyna-skis with 18" thick transoms.

BARE5
05-30-2012, 03:30 PM
I've seen a pylon ripped out of a MC pulling 7 bare footers. Not pretty and it was reinforced underneath the floor.