PDA

View Full Version : Calibrate Speed on 2012 BIG

501s
05-27-2012, 04:53 PM
While on the lake and getting our first rides in we noticed the speed is off by about 2mph. I read the maunal of course but can't find the place where I can calibrate the speed on the 2012 BIG (menu's are different then 2010/2011). Anyone know how to do this?

EA2010
05-27-2012, 08:06 PM
Your smart phone should have a map or GPS app that will give you your actual speed using GPS. Try that route ...

I assume you did not take the Zero Off option for cruise control? I did - and it still took a little playing around to get to know the system. I have a thread going on this topic:

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=47701

501s
05-27-2012, 10:10 PM
Hi EA, and thanks. I know the speed is off by my Iphone, the problem I have is I can't find any place on the Big or in the settings to actually adjust the speed calibration.

I don't have zero off, just PP.

Thanks.

EA2010
05-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Ahhhh, gotcha. The speed of a mechanical device will always be off relative to GPS. You can see how Zero Off shows you both speeds in my thread above.

You may wish to use RPM's for cruising with your PP. That sounds like a more consistent option from some other posts I've read on the subject ...

501s
05-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Hi EA, the problem that I am having is my BIG will say I am going 20 MPH but when I GPS the speed it is actually 22MPH, so I need to calibrate the speedo on the BIG to match my actual spped. In the manual it shows how to calibrate it but I don't find that option on the 2012 BIG system. The PP works fine too.

AZX45OD
05-28-2012, 12:32 AM
I have the same issue with my X45. GPS speed and PP speed on the BIG differ by 2 mph at wakeboard speeds, but 4 mph at cruising speeds. Dealer isn't sure how to calibrate. I'll see how it looks tomorrow.

AZX45OD
05-28-2012, 12:33 AM
The speed of a mechanical device will always be off relative to GPS.

Why is that? Even so, we should be able to calibrate the BIG so that it matches the GPS, right?

501s
05-28-2012, 12:49 AM
I had PP on my 08 Moomba and you could calibrate it. Also on the 2010/2011 VDIG you could calibrate the speed. There better be a way to calibrate the speed of my new boat :p

501s
05-28-2012, 12:15 PM
I sure hope someone see's this post in the refurbishing area. I just called my dealer and they can't even fit me in for service for almost 3 weeks!!!!!! That's half the summer right there. Does ANYONE know how to calibrate the speed on a 2012?

bjames
05-28-2012, 02:41 PM
You may wish to use RPM's for cruising with your PP. That sounds like a more consistent option from some other posts I've read on the subject ...

The only draw back in using RPM mode is that you will notice a considerable reduction in speed while corning. In Speed mode, PP will increase RPMs in corners to maintain the set speed. IMO RPM mode is best for straight slalom courses.

Cant remember all the settings, but if you go into the "Help" menu on your BIG, you can adjust your Cruise settings.

EA2010
05-30-2012, 07:06 PM
Why is that? Even so, we should be able to calibrate the BIG so that it matches the GPS, right?

Think about the mechanical speedometer on a boat as being the same as the wheels on your car. If you add larger tires, your car's speedometer will be off (unless you re-calibrate).

Now that I understand what you are trying to achieve (ie. calibrating the speedometer of the boat to match GPS), this will be an ongoing exercise ... AND it will change if you get any drift from the water (ie. a river) where the boat's speedo will be affected by the pace of the moving water.

Not sure I've been much help here ! :rolleyes:

malibu-dale
05-31-2012, 09:03 AM
While on the lake and getting our first rides in we noticed the speed is off by about 2mph. I read the maunal of course but can't find the place where I can calibrate the speed on the 2012 BIG (menu's are different then 2010/2011). Anyone know how to do this?

I had the same issue. We finally found a way to callibrate it. It's not in the touch screen. Scroll through your screens in the round gauge in the dash. Cant remember exactly where we found it,,but go into "settings",,,and then into "diagnostics"...dont have it in front of me,,but somewhere in that area there is a speedo callibration. The screen only stays up for a bit,,so kinda have to be up to speed and have your gps on ready to callibrate it.

Alan-S
05-31-2012, 01:16 PM
Correct. I calibrate every new boat that comes through our shop. Even if you have BIG it is still in the G-Dig setup screen. I find it works best to activate PP, set to 20 MPH. Then go to the calibrate page and match "Actual" to your GPS speed, wait a few seconds and it will accept the change, done.

Heelgrad
05-31-2012, 01:32 PM
How do you get to the Gdig setup screen? Noone ever went over that with me during delivery. Thanks.

Alan-S
05-31-2012, 01:39 PM
Using the up/down arrows on the right side of the steering wheel.

Heelgrad
05-31-2012, 05:42 PM
Thanks! Haven't messed with those yet. Something else to play around with.