PDA

View Full Version : Did I kill my ballast pump?

Duane D
05-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Today while cruising with the wife, kids and in-laws in my '06 X2 I turned in the starboard ballast pump to level out the boat. I've never done that before, but I thought it would be easier than asking someone to move to make the boat more level.

I filled the starboard tank plus about 50 lbs or so in my fly high sac and the boat was planing flat. When I got close to my dock I flipped the switch to empty the tank and nothing happened. The light comes on when I flipped the switch, but the pump does nothing.

I am wondering if I harmed my pump by filling it while under way at about 22 miles an hour.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

mcxfan
05-27-2012, 12:38 AM
sometimes they get stuck in one direction. Try toggling it back and forth to see if that works. Also you have a breaker below your rear left seat. Lift the seat and see if it popped.

Duane D
05-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks MCXfan. I toggled a couple of times and checked the breakers. My plan today is to take the impeller cover off and see if there is any noticeable damage on the inside. I appreciate your input!

swatguy
05-28-2012, 01:21 AM
As mentioned check impellar for blockage or worn parts. Filling while running at 22mph will not harm your pumps in any way whatsoever.

NeilM
05-28-2012, 02:48 AM
I don't know if the Plumbing has changed a whole bunch, but I cannot fill my 02 at anything over about 1500 rpm.

Duane D
05-28-2012, 09:26 AM
I guess it was just time for it to go. I can't see any blockage or damage with the cover removed. I flipped the switch on and off with the cover off and the shaft wouldn't move. The haft would turn manually but not under it's own power. I went ahead and ordered up a new pump from wakemakers.com last night.

Thanks for the input all!

CantRepeat
05-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Is the pump mounted with the impeller facing up or down?

Duane D
05-28-2012, 09:49 AM
The impeller is on top with the bod of the pump hanging down below it.

CantRepeat
05-28-2012, 10:48 AM
The impeller is on top with the bod of the pump hanging down below it.

Yeah, what happens when they are mounted that way is water leaks into the motor and corrodes the contacts.

Some where on here is a post about cleaning and rebuilding the motors. If you can find it you might be able to save that pump.

You might also look at turn the pump over so it wont happen again.

Duane D
05-28-2012, 11:29 AM
That's a great idea, Cantrepeat. I will go ahead and install the new pump and try to rebuild the old one for a spare. Does the pump run backwards if I mount it upside down?

prostar205
05-28-2012, 12:34 PM
That's a great idea, Cantrepeat. I will go ahead and install the new pump and try to rebuild the old one for a spare. Does the pump run backwards if I mount it upside down?

Yes it will run backwards. You'll either need to flip the head of the new pump or change the wiring the switch. It's much easier to flip the head (or impeller housing) on the pump.

Duane D
06-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Update...

I bought a new ballast pump and installed it tonight. When I flipped the switch to test it, nothing. I then took the black box loose on the port side that houses all the relays to the pumps. If I tap the second relay, the pump start working.

1. Does this mean my old pump was most likely ok and now I need a relay?
2. The new pump came with an orange and a black wire, which is the same as the oem one, but it was working backwards (switching to fill would empty the tank and switching to empty would fill the tank) after I tapped the relay. The new pump didn't come with the oem connector on the end, so I painstakingly disassembled the old one and put the connector on te new one. Did I just get the two wires switched? Would I be better off changing the position of the two wires or would it be better to leave the wires and mount the pump upside down so my switch will still be in the correct orientation?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate everyone on this board and their willingness to offer advice.

BrooksfamX2
06-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Well, not sure about the relay, but sounds like it may have issues. As far as the wiring goes, you can swap the wires or rotate the switch 180 on the panel to make it right. To check the old pump, just apply 12volts directly to it to see if it works.