PDA

View Full Version : wakeboard ropes & handles

Hogwild
05-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Just curious as to what you guys use. I want a good quality rope and handle that will last me a long while. Is there a specific brand out there that you would recommend without it having to break my bank?

Jerseydave
05-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Accurate makes some great lines.

The handle I use is a Ronix North, going on 4 years now. Great handle, nice thick grip chamois handle. Try evowake.com or grizzleysports.com for good deals. You can also try wakeside.com and buywake.com too. Or better yet, search them all and go to your local board shop and ask if they will match the price!

Hogwild
05-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Thanks Jersey. I'll give those sites a look and see if I can find one. I'd be happy if it lasted 4 years for sure.

Hogwild
05-28-2012, 11:38 AM
Have you ever used one of the lines that has almost a gel or rubber overcoat like these?

http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboard-handles-and-ropes/proline-mx-handle-w/80ft-vapor-mainline.aspx#image=42002.Color.Hardgoods_Blue_Ima ge.jpg

http://www.sunandski.com/Straight_Line_Flat_Line_Wake_Rope_80_p/0856065051120.htm

TOO-TALL
05-28-2012, 01:33 PM
i like the striaght line handles with the B2i changeable bar.If the bar pad wears out you just replace it for like 15.00.

73blue
05-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Have you ever used one of the lines that has almost a gel or rubber overcoat like these?

http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboard-handles-and-ropes/proline-mx-handle-w/80ft-vapor-mainline.aspx#image=42002.Color.Hardgoods_Blue_Ima ge.jpg

http://www.sunandski.com/Straight_Line_Flat_Line_Wake_Rope_80_p/0856065051120.htm

I have used one, and won't buy another. Doesnt seem to help anything, and started hardening, cracking and peeling in year 2, making it almost impossible to coil.

Hogwild
05-28-2012, 10:31 PM
I have used one, and won't buy another. Doesnt seem to help anything, and started hardening, cracking and peeling in year 2, making it almost impossible to coil.

That sucks! Thanks for the heads up.

Hogwild
05-29-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm going to be doing a little waterskiing as well, but I will never get above just recreational use in this area. Would it be okay to buy another wakeboarding rope and use it for waterskiing? That way I wouldn't have to buy a separate waterskiing line and I would have a backup in case something happened to my good wakeboarding setup. Thoughts?

michiganTristar
05-29-2012, 11:26 AM
Hogwild-

Here is my 2 cents from experience-

Wakeboarding ropes and ski ropes are different for a reason, including everything from handle size to stretch of the rope.

The rope you were refering to earlier with the coating on it, has worked great for me, the rope is super strong and it had virtually no stretch which is exactly what you want when wakeboarding, its hard to load the line with a rope that stretches. Had mine for a year and as long as you dont knot it it will not crack the plastic. Also wakeboarding handles are a lot wider than ski handles to be able to easily pass the handle.

My opinion, buy a spectra type rope and detachable wakeboard handle. You can find them on sale for a very good price on ebay. ski ropes are a dime a dozen and way cheaper than wakeboard line, just find a cheap one if your not serious about it and use the wakeboard handle on the end of it.

73blue
05-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Hogwild-

Here is my 2 cents from experience-

Wakeboarding ropes and ski ropes are different for a reason, including everything from handle size to stretch of the rope.

The rope you were refering to earlier with the coating on it, has worked great for me, the rope is super strong and it had virtually no stretch which is exactly what you want when wakeboarding, its hard to load the line with a rope that stretches. Had mine for a year and as long as you dont knot it it will not crack the plastic. Also wakeboarding handles are a lot wider than ski handles to be able to easily pass the handle.

My opinion, buy a spectra type rope and detachable wakeboard handle. You can find them on sale for a very good price on ebay. ski ropes are a dime a dozen and way cheaper than wakeboard line, just find a cheap one if your not serious about it and use the wakeboard handle on the end of it.

But you can buy a 0-stretch dyneema line without the coating for wakeboarding. IMO, the coating adds nothing to the performance, and IME, it doesnt hold up past a year or two.

I agree that you need a different line for skiing. I don't have enough experience with those to recommend a certain type. I'm sure you could find someone around here that does though.

TheWoons
05-29-2012, 11:50 AM
We've been using the coat lines for years with no issues. I'd never use anything but the coated ones.

kgrove
05-29-2012, 12:10 PM
I'm not good enough I could tell you a performance difference between coated and uncoated lines, but I like the coated lines better for purely practical reasons. The coated line slips through my hands much easier when the boat circles around me after a crash where the uncoated lines are rougher on my hands. The coated lines also coil and uncoil better without kinking or tangling. I love them - wouldn't go back.

wrobins1
05-29-2012, 01:29 PM
I'm not good enough I could tell you a performance difference between coated and uncoated lines, but I like the coated lines better for purely practical reasons. The coated line slips through my hands much easier when the boat circles around me after a crash where the uncoated lines are rougher on my hands. The coated lines also coil and uncoil better without kinking or tangling. I love them - wouldn't go back.

x2 (My thoughts exactly)

swatguy
06-01-2012, 12:46 AM
I love the coated lines as well. Helium lines are thin light and bombproof for me. Got 2 on their 3 rd seasons.

The Accurate a line is also super durable if u want a non coated, but won't coil at all for me. My wife who's a left yup has no problem getting that a line to coil.

As far as handles......the Byerly chamoi style sticks to my hand like glue. Love it. It going on season 3 as well. My older style Eva grips only lasted a season tops.

You def don't ant to use a wakeboard rope to ski. Your shoulders n forearms will thank you trust me.

Hogwild
06-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks everyone. I ended up going with the A-line and the Ronix North handle based upon the recommendations. I'll let you know how it goes at the end of the season :-)

Hogwild
06-11-2012, 03:17 PM
What do you guys use for boot lube? Any particular brand that works but is cheaper than the others?

snork
06-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Dish soap

BrooksfamX2
06-11-2012, 03:32 PM
10% Dawn-75% water in a squirt bottle.......

mcparadise
06-11-2012, 03:45 PM
As long as we are talking ropes/handles--When I was a kid (circa 1966) my Dad had a Single/Double Handle Ski Rope. It had a special locking mechanism. I realize double handles are not commonly used among serious skiers, etc., but I had a couple tricks with them though...behind the back to rest your arms and pretending I dropped one was another.

My sisters still like/use double handles...Does anyone know of such a critter nowadays? I searched the web and found a patent but that's all.

76S&S
06-11-2012, 03:48 PM
I recently ordered the Proline LG. Hope to be testing it out this weekend.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251058904603&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

Hogwild
06-11-2012, 05:21 PM
10% Dawn-75% water in a squirt bottle.......

Should I be scared to know what the other 15% is?

G-Star
06-11-2012, 05:26 PM
I recently ordered the Proline LG. Hope to be testing it out this weekend.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251058904603&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

I've got the same rope & handle. Used it for 1 season now, and we really like it.

swatguy
06-11-2012, 07:48 PM
I qwould highly advise against the dishsoap. The degreasing agents in there will dry out your gear and make it crack and brittle over time. It also never really leaves you skin as easily as u want. I assume we are talking older bindings for the lube as most newer models don't require it. A good alternative is shaving cream. Wash away easier off your foot and isn't so harsh on the bindings.

MasterKraftS&S
06-11-2012, 08:21 PM
As long as we are talking ropes/handles--

My sisters still like/use double handles...Does anyone know of such a critter nowadays? I searched the web and found a patent but that's all.

YOU MEAN SOMETHING LIKE this ON EBAY

- TAPERFLEX DOUBLE WATERSKI HANDLE W/ BRIDAL RED/WHITE - $9.95 - ONLY 13 AVAILABLE!

snork
06-11-2012, 10:22 PM
I qwould highly advise against the dishsoap. The degreasing agents in there will dry out your gear and make it crack and brittle over time. It also never really leaves you skin as easily as u want. I assume we are talking older bindings for the lube as most newer models don't require it. A good alternative is shaving cream. Wash away easier off your foot and isn't so harsh on the bindings.

maybe some shaving gel with aloe

Hogwild
06-11-2012, 11:20 PM

No, I was under the impression the new bindings needed lube as well. Good to know that's not the case.

michiganTristar
06-12-2012, 08:50 AM
100% agree, dishsoap is basically a mild stripping agent for bindings. If you read your owners manual when you buy them new I know for sure the RONIX has this specific thing in bold. DO NOT USE DISH SOAP AS THIS WILL PREMATURELY WEAR OUT THE BINDINGS AND FOAM.

76S&S
06-12-2012, 08:59 AM
I've got the same rope & handle. Used it for 1 season now, and we really like it.

That's good to know, thanks.

Oh, and it looks like we have the same boat as well.:D

G-Star
06-12-2012, 10:14 AM
That's good to know, thanks.

Oh, and it looks like we have the same boat as well.:D

Right you are. I hope you got the yellow rope to match :cool:

swatguy
06-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Most bindings rolling out these days are combinations of a ton of different materials and stitching. Almost all bindings in the last 4-5 years have gone to a lubless design as they no longer are just rubber. While I know a few guys still use some lube these newer bindings get eaten up twice as fast with the dishsoap as there trade off for comfort and performance is a little less durable material.

Also there are some riders on the tour that prefer to wear a pair of socks in their closed toe bindings. I don't get it, but there is enough people rocking the socks these days to not let it be a fashion statement. Shaun Murry being kind of thought as the guy who started it. That would also ease entry if you have issues. Myself I ride Ronix and have since their inception. Switched between the cell to the now One. I have found that for me not dunking my board/ bindings first and just getting my foot wet works best for me. My riding buddies are split on that some dunk some don't.

swatguy
06-12-2012, 10:31 AM
maybe some shaving gel with aloe

Ha yea I guess it may have came off as its giving dry skin cuz it never really gets off your foot. I meant it really never washes clean away like the shave cream and it leaves your foot slippery inside causing you foot to slide around a bit. And when I did use cream Aloe all the way tho hahahaha love that smell in the am

CCAnderson
06-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Every water sport uses a rope and handle designed for that sport Use the rope for you sport and it will be more enjoyable.

Wakeboard ropes are low stretch so the rider doesn't get yanked off axis when jumping the wake. Imagine popping off the wake and all the stretch loaded into the line immediately yanking you forward. The low stretch rope material tend to snag on themselves, the coating is there to make the rope easier to coil and avoid snags, knots etc.

Slalom ropes have a certain amount of stretch and have the segments to for sorter line lengths when skiing the course. Shortline skiers put a lot of shock in the rope when they turn around the bouy. The little bit of stretch really saves the shoulders, elbows, hands, and back.

Tubes need a strong robe but have some stretch so you don rip the thing to shreds.

Trick ropes are shorter and low stretch.

Barefoot ropes are longer than standard and low stretch to avoid recoil on deep water starts.

The way to keep you rope from being a mess every time you uncoil it is to learn how to coil it the right way. Don't get upset with me just yet. Very few people know how to coil a rope so there is no twist. It took me until my thirties to learn the "right" way. Most people continue to make lopes in one direction which puts a twist in the rope. Using the over under method removes the twist there are several videos on the web such as the following

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yPcJD7RVuY&feature=player_embedded

GT500 MC
08-17-2012, 04:14 PM
bump....anyone out there using a Proline Response wakeboard rope/handle combo? It's got the no-stretch Spectra line and looks to be a decent, lightweight handle. Found a good deal ($52) and was just curious. Simply for beginner/intermediate use. Thx.