PDA

View Full Version : How do you get this off?

kycat2007
05-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Studs sheeted off. Had boat towed to house. Now trying to get fender off but the trailer brackets are ripped and the fender is against the boat? Any ideas? Also is it best to buy a new fender?

snork
05-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Don't know

gweaver
05-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Hard to tell exactly what you're dealing with from the photo, but if you want to cut the fender off, something like a cut off wheel on a grinder would make quick work of that. Put a piece of cardboard or an old blanket down between the hull and fender to protect the boat. Heck, you could probably do it with a Dremel tool, but it'd take a while.
G

kycat2007
05-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Was hoping to fix the fender burnout sure. May need to cut it off then see if it can be fixed.

kycat2007
05-26-2012, 06:56 PM

kycat2007
05-26-2012, 06:56 PM

kycat2007
05-26-2012, 06:57 PM

Jerseydave
05-26-2012, 07:27 PM
Can you bend the fender bracket enough to access the bolts and remove it? Maybe a couple heavy guys to push it back down? Take boat off trailer and use the bucket of a front end loader to push it down? (just an idea.....) :D

I would price out a new fender from MC, may not be much more than trying to repair that one.
Yours looks like it needs a lot of work, very labor intensive.
Perhaps you can salvage the brackets and straighten them?

ncsone
05-26-2012, 07:56 PM
rip the pads off and you will find some #3 Phillips head screws under there. Take a screwdriver or a bit socket and use a socket on the underside of the fender/support and the fender will come right off. If I recall correctly, there are 3 screws forward of the wheel(s) and 4 aft. You might get lucky and just be able to bend the metal support back down into position, they are not very heavy duty - 1/8" steel if I remember right. If you can do that, re-weld it to the trailer frame, bolt on a new fender, order some new traction pads (or cut some from Seadek) and you are ready to go.

Good luck.

mikeg205
05-27-2012, 12:41 PM
rip the pads off and you will find some #3 Phillips head screws under there. Take a screwdriver or a bit socket and use a socket on the underside of the fender/support and the fender will come right off. If I recall correctly, there are 3 screws forward of the wheel(s) and 4 aft. You might get lucky and just be able to bend the metal support back down into position, they are not very heavy duty - 1/8" steel if I remember right. If you can do that, re-weld it to the trailer frame, bolt on a new fender, order some new traction pads (or cut some from Seadek) and you are ready to go.

Good luck.

^^^+1 - can you fix the wheel enough to get boat to a location and get boat off trailer. this way you will have access to everything and not face the possibility of damaging the gel coat on trailer.

This way you can work from both sides...and then you can go to the water when you're board of working on the trailer..good luck.