PDA

View Full Version : Blown/burnt Channel amp on my JL 6450 ?!

Fab
05-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Hey guys !

I need some advices from you stereo gurus...

I've been boating all day long today and everything was fine until i noticed at the end of the day that the left front speaker wasn't working anymore on my '08 X2 (no sound or some crackling/popping noises)...I checked the speakers and wires it's working if i switch with the front right speaker so speaker is OK...I then tried to switch some RCA cables and it appears that the channel 1 (which is powering that left front speaker) on my JL 6-450 isn't working properly no matter what RCA cable i plug in...

Another strange thing, I tried to play with the Input Sens. and when i touched the knob with a screwdriver it triggered a lound popping noise from the speaker, same if i switch from HP to Off, the speaker is going mad !!

What do guys think ? Any possibility of repair ? Brand new amp ? ($$$)

EarmarkMarine
05-26-2012, 10:45 PM
An input pot costs a couple of dollars. An output transistor costs under $10. The flat rate for parts plus labor to fix most amplifiers, if there is no water damage, is around $100. An equal replacement, same honest power and quality, will cost three times that at minimum. So the cost points in one direction. Repair it. It's a matter of; can you tolerate several weeks at this time of year.
First, try spraying some tuner wash in that pot.

David
Earmark Marine

JimN
05-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Hey guys !

I need some advices from you stereo gurus...

I've been boating all day long today and everything was fine until i noticed at the end of the day that the left front speaker wasn't working anymore on my '08 X2 (no sound or some crackling/popping noises)...I checked the speakers and wires it's working if i switch with the front right speaker so speaker is OK...I then tried to switch some RCA cables and it appears that the channel 1 (which is powering that left front speaker) on my JL 6-450 isn't working properly no matter what RCA cable i plug in...

Another strange thing, I tried to play with the Input Sens. and when i touched the knob with a screwdriver it triggered a lound popping noise from the speaker, same if i switch from HP to Off, the speaker is going mad !!

What do guys think ? Any possibility of repair ? Brand new amp ? ($$$)

When you touched the control with the screwdriver, did the music play,or just the popping noise? If you got music, I would think about opening the amp and looking for bad solder joints on the controls and input jacks. You'll need a magnifying glass, loupe, or something like that but a lot of times, you'll see a tiny circle around the wire if the joint is bad. You'll want to pull the fuses when you do this but you shouldn't need to disconnect the wires if you're careful. While you're in there, it's a good time to clean the controls/switches, as David posted.

You didn't use Monster Cables, did you? They have a tendency to be too tight and if the plugs are removed frequently, the jacks can be damaged. It wouldn't be the first time a Monster Cable caused this kind of damage.

Fab
05-27-2012, 04:55 AM
Yep first time I touched the input sens. knob the music was back again with some distortion or really LOUD for a few seconds, then no sound or just some some popping sounds etc...

The amp and cockpit speakers are pure stock from factory, wires and RCA look fine, no water damage either !

Fab
05-28-2012, 05:54 AM
Got some fresh news...Channel 1 still not working but I tried to plug the front left and right speaker in bridged mode on CH 1(+)& 2(-) and now it works fine...That way it seems i have no powerloss, right ?

How come it's working ? I really don't get how amps work sometimes... ;)

JimN
05-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Got some fresh news...Channel 1 still not working but I tried to plug the front left and right speaker in bridged mode on CH 1(+)& 2(-) and now it works fine...That way it seems i have no powerloss, right ?

How come it's working ? I really don't get how amps work sometimes... ;)

If you touch the control and the music plays, it's not a problem with the output transistors.

Dan_Lorenze
05-30-2012, 08:17 AM
Same thing is going on with mine. My amp has a broken switch on it. I can usually get it going again by tapping on it. It's annoying.

iPhone Tapatalk

shunra
05-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Hey Guys, I've got a M6450 that is looking for a new home. It came out of my 2006 X15. If your interested let me know.