PDA

View Full Version : Hydrofoil wanted

skibrain
05-25-2012, 11:57 PM
I'm thinking about getting a hydrofoil. I've never tried one, don't know anyone with one (Minneapolis area) and can't get a demo on one. Something I think would be fun to have up at the cabin for occasional use when too choppy to ski.

I would love to keep the price around $250-$300. I've seen a couple on ski-it-again recently. Missed one and the other one I can't get any reply. Any opions? Any one know of one for sale?

I've dug around here http://www.hydrofoil.org/Hydrolinks.html and on eBay and it looks like I can get one for $800 to $1400. I just don't want one THAT bad. I don't care if it is the original AirChair. Don't plan on doing any aerials, just would like to have for occasional cruising around.

Thanks.

Skyskiguy
05-26-2012, 02:36 AM
I'm thinking about getting a hydrofoil. I've never tried one, don't know anyone with one (Minneapolis area) and can't get a demo on one. Something I think would be fun to have up at the cabin for occasional use when too choppy to ski.

I would love to keep the price around $250-$300. I've seen a couple on ski-it-again recently. Missed one and the other one I can't get any reply. Any opions? Any one know of one for sale?

I've dug around here http://www.hydrofoil.org/Hydrolinks.html and on eBay and it looks like I can get one for $800 to $1400. I just don't want one THAT bad. I don't care if it is the original AirChair. Don't plan on doing any aerials, just would like to have for occasional cruising around.

Thanks.

I'll be surprised if you can find anything worth riding in that price range. Plan on spending at least $1000.

SkiDog
05-26-2012, 07:59 AM

Thanks.

Sadly, you'll never find one worth riding for that kinda money. Hydrofoils are expensive, as there is a lot to them. 99% of the people that buy them, usually keep pretty good care of them so even finding an old beat up one is damn near impossible. Bite the bullet and get a decent one, probably $750-1000 is about what you'll spend. Then once you ride it a summer or two, I pretty much guarentee you'll be looking for a better one thats easier to ride and do tricks on. You say you don't wanna do any aerials or anything but just ride above the water, but again, you'll get so bored with just doing that, that you'll start pushing the envelope and try jumping, skidders, and inverts, before ya know it. It's as addicting as Crack!:D

FrankSchwab
05-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Even an ancient first-gen AirChair will give you a taste of hydrofoiling - and it's pretty darned cool. The nice thing about having to buy a 10-year old hydrofoil for $1000 is that you'll be able to sell it for the same amount after a season of playing with it - there really isn't any depreciation to worry about.

Before you take it out for the first ride, ask for some pointers. It can be tough to learn on your own without some help. A good forum like http://www.foilforum.com/forums/forum.php or here would be a good place to ask questions or find riders in your area.
/frank

Drodey
05-28-2012, 05:53 PM
I see them all the time here in Georgia for $500 -$700. I have an original airchair that I will be selling as I am upgrading. If your interested send me a PM.

Cloaked
05-28-2012, 07:03 PM
I see them all the time here in Georgia for $500 -$700. .Link? ................

SkiDog
05-28-2012, 08:39 PM
Link? ................

Yea, Where?

Drodey
05-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Okay, for the non-believers....Several have sold but these two are still listed. I looked at a newer version of the air chair last week that was local but listed on ebay that sold for just under $600 before shipping.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/rvs/2989606330.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/spo/3011330473.html

These two put the average price in my area at around $522.50. Well within range that I quoted. :D

SkiDog
05-29-2012, 02:59 PM
Well, I guess you were right.;) Although, having had and still have, a higher end ski, I just wouldn't have thought that there would be any on that price range that were actually ride-able. My bad.

Kyle
05-29-2012, 03:34 PM
My best advice is to get one that is worth something because you will start throwing tricks. Like Skidog said. It is like crack. I ride with some friends that have higher end skyskis and I am fortunate to either ride or borrow theirs. During the first week ever riding one I threw my first invert and landed it, Then the adiction started. I am waiting to buy one of my own just because I dont know what set up I want yet or how much I will spend.

Drodey
05-29-2012, 04:56 PM
No problem SkiDog. The market here does seem soft but it is what it is as they say. I do agree if you can afford to go with the higher end SkySki or newer Air Chair you are better off. My original Airchair is fine but it does take more work to look good on it! :headbang:

SkiDog
05-29-2012, 08:26 PM
No problem SkiDog. The market here does seem soft but it is what it is as they say. I do agree if you can afford to go with the higher end SkySki or newer Air Chair you are better off. My original Airchair is fine but it does take more work to look good on it! :headbang:

BTW, Where in Ga. Are you located?

Drodey
05-29-2012, 10:40 PM
Central Georgia Macon\Warner Robins

skibrain
06-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Thanks for replies. About what I expected.

I saw an ancient, but like-new airchair for $200. That's all I want to put into it at this point.
If I'm in love with it I may upgrade. No issue spending money on my slalom gear but even there I tend to buy closeouts or used and end up with top of the line stuff.