PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Kids to Ski

DJ 50
05-25-2012, 04:53 PM
So I bought a barefoot boom mainly to teach my daughter how to ski. She will be turning 5 next month. By the end of last year she was able to deep water start on her own on one of those U shaped skis. This year we will have her on the skis that tie together. What is the earliest people are putting their kids on actual set of skis? Since I control the rope with the U shape ski and skis that tie together, what's a good way to use the boom and control the rope? And please feel free to post pic of your kids skiing

madcityskier
05-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Generally start on the boom by holding directly to it. When they are stable and riding in a good stance even as they go over waves advance to a five foot section. From there put them behind the boat. If possible I've used a tower or extended pylon and shorter rope. This provides extra upward pull to help them out of the water, and allows you to sit on the back of the boat to coach them more easily. Also, they'll tend to look to rather than looking down at the water, which will shift their weight forward causing them to fall.
My daughter rode in my arms around 5mos, on my skis at one, skied on the boom with rope holding the skis together at 3, and behind the boat at four. Now she mostly likes to kneeboard, wakeboard and tube.
There's an entire thread of kid pics here

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=4620

ahhudgins
05-30-2012, 10:42 PM
It all depends on the child and how fast they want to advance. I've had some kids off of the boom and behind the boat in the same day with trainers, others not so much luck. I believe that my niece is 10 and she has refused to go behind the boat for the past two summers...until this weekend. The only reason why she decided to give it a try was because my oldest son brought his new girlfriend to the lake and I taught her to come up behind the boat and never used the boom. My niece didn't want to be outdone so she skied behind the boat for about 30 seconds and then quit. That was enough for her.
I think I talked her into with the wetsuit shorts.

ahhudgins
05-30-2012, 10:52 PM
I've never used a rope connected to the skis. I've used the trainer skis that are tied together and let the kids hold onto the boom. Once I've gotten them used to being pulled up directly on the boom, I will attach and handle section to the boom but I wrap the rope around the boom several times to shorten it. If they do ok that way, I will let the handle all the way out. This is when it starts to get harder.

I almost don't like using the boom sometimes because kids want to stay on it because "It's too hard behind the boat":mad:

BrooksfamX2
05-30-2012, 11:15 PM
Man, we are old skool. No boom, kids learned from shallow water and a parent holding on to them until they got going. They are so small, they can almost ski at an idle. Kinda like learning to ride a bike, no boom was used........

madcityskier
05-30-2012, 11:29 PM
My younger brother learned at about three on some old Cypress Gardens trick skis behind my older brother and I running in shallow water. I learned behind a john boat with a 3.9 Merc, also at 3. It all comes down to what's available, and what you're comfortable with.

pram
05-31-2012, 01:22 PM
So I bought a barefoot boom mainly to teach my daughter how to ski. She will be turning 5 next month. By the end of last year she was able to deep water start on her own on one of those U shaped skis. This year we will have her on the skis that tie together. What is the earliest people are putting their kids on actual set of skis? Since I control the rope with the U shape ski and skis that tie together, what's a good way to use the boom and control the rope? And please feel free to post pic of your kids skiing

My daughter was 5 when she started skiing off of the boom, behind the boat at 7, she just turned 11 and last year (10) was able to deep start on her Slalom ski

My son was 3 when he started skiing off the boom, 5 behind the boat, just turned 7 and told me he is going to learn to slalom this year, we will see how he does :)

both kids were on skis tied together

my daughter was able to drop a ski at 9 but could never get out of the water on the slalom from half of a set of O'Brien doubles. I picked her up a new HO with Double Wileys and 3rd shot out she came.

PA Prostar
05-31-2012, 05:03 PM
So I have a dumb question. I had only about five minutes last week to have my just turned 6 son give a try off the boom with a set of skis tied together. I was trying to drag him at first, just so he could get used to it. We tried a couple of true starts with no success. It seemed like he couldn't keep the skis in front of him - they would just go off to a side, catch the current and he would spin around. I'm hoping to have more substantial time next week to try again. What can I try telling him to help?

92 190 PS
05-31-2012, 05:09 PM
Tell him he needs to sit on the back of the ski's like he's sitting in a chair. He needs to stay in that position with the skis in front of his knees and keep pointing the skis straight ahead and stay in the seated position until well after the boat has pulled him out of the water and he is comfortable. Most kids want to put too much weight on the skis to early and straighten their legs out causing what you described. They have to do the sitting in a chair position until they realize they can stay in that position for as long as necessary until they're comfortable. Once they get comfortable they can stand up.

One say to encourage this is to get in the water and hold the back of the skis under him until he's comfortable. Sometimes it just takes some time to relax and figure out how to keep the skis where he wants them and someone helping keep the skis under him will give him that confidence.

Lastly boom height is one of the keys, make sure it's low enough for him to comfortably keep the tip of the skis out of the water, but high enough that he won't have to completely bend over once he's up.

Good luck.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-31-2012, 05:27 PM
Man, we are old skool. No boom, kids learned from shallow water and a parent holding on to them until they got going. They are so small, they can almost ski at an idle. Kinda like learning to ride a bike, no boom was used........

Same here. I remember pulling my eight year old nephew behind the fishing boat with a 9 1/2 Evinrude and having way too much power.

gatorguy
05-31-2012, 05:37 PM
The way I've worked with my 7yo twins last year and this year was off of the swim platform. I have the beginer skis with the bar hooking the tips together. They put them on while standing on the swim deck. The then hold the ski handle, and I hold the rope. My son drives the boat and I sit on the transom facing the skier (I know, very wrong/bad/CO2 etc...). He starts driving and when we are going fast enough I slowly lower out the skier like a fish on a line. When they are done, I just pull them back in untill the skis are again on the swim deck and we stop the boat. They boys ski without getting more than their feet wet. If something bad happens I can let go of the rope and they are no longer hooked to the boat.

Since I don't have a boom it's a way for them to have fun skiing even though they can't deep water start yet, without all the frustration and disapointment of failed deep water starts. Although they are working on their deep water starts, and one of them did get up for a few seconds the other day. I was a proud dad. Now I just need to figure out how to get my 15yo in the water more often. You would think I was forcing him to do hard physical labor everytime I "make" him come drive for me at 0600. In fact he didn't even bring a swim suit monday morning when we went. What a spoiled brat. (he is actually a really good kid, just drives me nuts sometimes)

ahhudgins
05-31-2012, 06:04 PM
Since my V-drive boom is a PITA to install and remove, I only use it for very small kids and total noobs. I give kids some instructions in the water while we are at the dock, and if I think they are pretty coordinated I will start them off behind the boat. There are some kids who really have no desire to get behind a boat. My niece did it for only 30 seconds and my "Poopy pants" nephew won't even try it behind the boat.

I know it's odd, but somehow my kids and I learned to ski without a boom and we are still alive to talk about it. Well, I learned to barefoot by stepping off a ski in the 80s and that was a "little" painful. ;)

Heelgrad
05-31-2012, 11:19 PM
Well, I guess I'll brag on my 6 year old. We were out this weekend and he wanted to give skiing a shot. I was a little skeptical but we had a long talk in the boat about the fundamentals and what he needed to focus on. I didn't really want to try a start off the platform and don't have a boom so a deep water start it was. I was 8 when I first conquered this so I figured the odds were slim he'd figure this out without me in the water with him (my wife isn't willing to drive the boat).

Much to my surprise he got up on his 2nd try and skied for at least 5 minutes without falling. I was a very proud papa. Here he is in all his glory. He's fired up to go again this weekend!!!:):):)

ahhudgins
06-01-2012, 12:04 AM
Well, I guess I'll brag on my 6 year old. We were out this weekend and he wanted to give skiing a shot. I was a little skeptical but we had a long talk in the boat about the fundamentals and what he needed to focus on. I didn't really want to try a start off the platform and don't have a boom so a deep water start it was. I was 8 when I first conquered this so I figured the odds were slim he'd figure this out without me in the water with him (my wife isn't willing to drive the boat).

Much to my surprise he got up on his 2nd try and skied for at least 5 minutes without falling. I was a very proud papa. Here he is in all his glory. He's fired up to go again this weekend!!!:):):)

I think it's the easiest way to teach: Give them pointers on the dock and then in the water. After that put them behind the boat. He will be barefooting before you know it.

03 35th Anniversary
06-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Using that Barefoot Boom to slowly stairstep to barefooting (my kiddo is chicken little so these are big steps) ;)

98Prostar205
06-04-2012, 04:53 PM
My aunt and uncle adopted 2 children from the Ukraine almost 2 yrs ago. I bought my prostar 205 at the end of the summer last year. They both got up on the kneeboard last year the only time we were able to go out. We went out on the lake this past weekend and they both got up on skis behind the boat! My nephew got up on his first try and my niece got up on her 3rd or 4th!

BrooksfamX2
06-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Boom?? We dont need no stinkin' boom.........;)

JohnnyB
06-05-2012, 07:06 AM
Using that Barefoot Boom to slowly stairstep to barefooting (my kiddo is chicken little so these are big steps) ;)

I have been thinking about rigging up the swing. Am concerned about safety in a fall in the position you show but also when planting feet and when planted and footing.....can you help with some tips on this...

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

03 35th Anniversary
06-05-2012, 09:26 AM
I have been thinking about rigging up the swing. Am concerned about safety in a fall in the position you show but also when planting feet and when planted and footing.....can you help with some tips on this...

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Right now I'm trying to keep her feet up high enough she can't get them in the water for that reason. I'm just getting her used to the speed and being out there.

US Gear makes a Swing that I am waiting on before i start having her put her feet down. Only trick/tip to the way it is rigged up here is to make a sharp right turn when you stop so it lifts them out of the water while the boat comes to a stop.

I learned this swing trick from Keith StOnge. I'm sure if you call him (like I have planned to do) he can give you some good pointers.

JohnnyB
06-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Good point on calling Keith. He is a super guy!!! He was up at footstock last year walking around and talking to people -- a great ambassador of the sport.

jwroblew
06-05-2012, 10:10 AM
My daughter started riding a knee board off the swim platform when she was 3. We taught her the correct position while on the knee board, shoulders back arms straight hips up, etc. Moved to 2 skies tied together, her holding on to the rope, when she was 4, with an adult in shallow water. I think she got up on her second or third try. Her form was good right from the start. When she was 5 we had her get up on a slalom ski with my buddy on a set of jump skis around her to teach balance, below is a photo of April Coble Eller doing the same. She is 8 now and is working on running the course at 23 mph, and trick skiing.

As said before make sure your kid is looking up when trying a deep water start, stand up in the boat and wave at them and have them look at your hand. Also try to keep them from standing up to early. And pulling from a tower at 28 off works real good to, if you don't have a tower, and your kid is small and light, stand up in the back of the boat and brace your legs against the seat with the rope over your shoulder. Good luck.

madcityskier
06-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Right now I'm trying to keep her feet up high enough she can't get them in the water for that reason. I'm just getting her used to the speed and being out there.

US Gear makes a Swing that I am waiting on before i start having her put her feet down. Only trick/tip to the way it is rigged up here is to make a sharp right turn when you stop so it lifts them out of the water while the boat comes to a stop.

I learned this swing trick from Keith StOnge. I'm sure if you call him (like I have planned to do) he can give you some good pointers.

On a sharp right turn the back of your boat will swing out to the left. Saw a guy get hit by the side of the hull once. Id let them get dunked and call it part of the fun rather than have the prop headed in their direction. You could always have someone move to the drivers side as you slow to keep them up if you want.

DJ 50
07-04-2012, 04:32 AM
Ok, so we have moved on to the trainer skis that are tied together. My 5 year old was able to get up on the second try with someone in the water helping her hold the back of the skis down. We tried to do it with nobody helping her and we ran into a probelm. The skis float so well and she is so light, that she can't keep the skis from going to the side of her and then flipping her over. It's usually just the 3 of us at the lake so we can't be in the water to help her most the time. We thought of getting this but it just seems that this would take to much away from learning. Any one have this problem or have any thought?

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Junior_Combo_Water_Skis/Rave_Aqua_Buddy_TY8262/index.asp

madcityskier
07-04-2012, 08:01 AM
Ok, so we have moved on to the trainer skis that are tied together. My 5 year old was able to get up on the second try with someone in the water helping her hold the back of the skis down. We tried to do it with nobody helping her and we ran into a probelm. The skis float so well and she is so light, that she can't keep the skis from going to the side of her and then flipping her over. It's usually just the 3 of us at the lake so we can't be in the water to help her most the time. We thought of getting this but it just seems that this would take to much away from learning. Any one have this problem or have any thought?

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Junior_Combo_Water_Skis/Rave_Aqua_Buddy_TY8262/index.asp

Try weighting the backs of the skis. Works like a charm. It'll help get the kids more control as they're floating and kept the tips pointed up.