PDA

View Full Version : baked battery

willyt
05-24-2012, 02:50 PM
so...
accidently overcharged my optima blue top. was working on the boat with the tower lights on and the charger (which is suppose to have an auto-trickle when the battery becomes fully charged) overcharged it. definitely smelled the rotten eggs in the boat and immediately disconnected the charger.

after that, made sure the battery wasnt leaking, and figured it had vented everything. kept working for another hour, all seemed fine.

That battery toast? should i just go ahead and replace it or is it ok to keep in there?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-24-2012, 03:32 PM
I would take it to get load tested and then you'll know for sure, most auto parts will do this for you...

cpr05xtr
05-24-2012, 04:49 PM
One of my blue tops was toast and i went to interstate batteries picked up 2 group 27 dual purpose for $193 and sold my other blue top for $150. Plus the interstates will return on warranty easier.

helton333
05-24-2012, 05:29 PM
hate blue tops, tried them in 2 MC's - too much hassle. Got the Platinum Marine Die Hard that was spec'd out of US military - $200 each but great warranty and you can flat out drop them on concrete and they say they will not break.

mzimme
05-25-2012, 08:28 AM
What's too much hassle about a blue top? Just charging it? I'll take that hassle for the hours of loud music it provides. I was out for 6 hours the other day with the music playing very loud. Brought the battery home and stuck it on the charger... charger read 85% battery left. Not bad....

bturner2
05-25-2012, 03:29 PM
A lot of Optima haters out there for whatever reason. Most have had what appeared to be a bad battery. AGM is not for everyone. Technically you need a fairly recent and high end charger to charge them correctly. A lot of the "bad batteries" could have been brought back with the correct charging hardware or technique. I'm now on my fourth season and waiting for the failure that has been predicted. Who knows maybe they're right. We'll see.