PDA

View Full Version : Towing with a new Durango?

toolz
05-24-2012, 02:02 AM
After working at home for 20 years, my wife's job was outsourced, so now she has a real drive-to-work job. We live out in the sticks, so the Charger R/T isn't going to cut it in the winter. Considering trading it for a '12 Durango R/T, Hemi (of course) and tow package. Boat is a '98 Maristar 200. I have a '08 Ford diesel dually, and it was a necessity when pulling the Fountain, but clumsy on vaca with the MC. We've looked at Explorers (too small) and we've had 4 Expeditions, but the wife doesn't want something that big this time. I don't buy GMs. Anybody towing with a late model Durango/Grand Cherokee? How's it working for you?

CruisinGA
05-24-2012, 08:14 AM
Sounds like you need a 4runner to me...

snork
05-24-2012, 10:17 AM
I have a 04 Durango with the Hemi pulls the XStar like a charm
make sure you get the tow package

dummy
05-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Another '04 Hemi Durango owner here. Tows my 230VRS or my 4,000-5,500lb Jeeps just fine when I'm not using the Cummins pickup. With almost 140K on the clock, it's actually been one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned. I've aside from regular maintenance (oil, tranny, fluids, plugs) the only repair I've had to do is replace a weepy rear pinion seal. New ones aren't body-on-frame, tough. They're Unitbody like all the Grand Cherokees from '93-onward, but that shouldn't be an issue unless you're bashing it off-road...which you wouldn't be doing with an R/T.

I've towed with plenty of Grand Cherokees, but not the new Durango. Just make sure you get the full-time-4WD one (AWD in Chrysler terminology). Having the front tires pulling during towing helps with stability and tracking tremendously. Only downside I ever found with the Grand Cherokees (4.7L, Hemi, CRD diesel) wasn't power but load carrying in the rear. With a lot of tongue weight the headlights will be pointing at the sky at night. The new Durangos have an available load-leveling suspension. I'd go for that option in addition to the tow package.

TRBenj
05-24-2012, 10:36 AM
I love my V8 4Runner, but the new ones top out with the V6. The new JGC/Durango (same platform) are one of the few mid-size SUV's left with a true 4wd system and a V8. The platform is based on the Mercedes M-class, I believe... both trucks are getting good reviews. Will be interesting to see how they hold up, but they'd be on my short list if I were shopping for a new tow vehicle in that size.

QBhater
05-24-2012, 10:45 AM
I just bought a 2012 Durango with the AWD and the Hemi. I have not towed my prostar yet but I bought it because it states it can tow over 7000 pounds. I bought the Tow Group it comes with rear load leveling suspension. I will hook it up this weekend and report back.

Yes photos will be sent!

Whisky
05-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Have brand new Grand Cherokee with the big Hemi and the 4wd. Haven't tested it yet with the boat, but pulled a covered four snowmoible trailer (totaly weight about 6,000lbs) in the deep snow incredibly well. Comes with electronic brake control. Traded in the 2006 V8 4Runner on the Jeep. No comparison. Jeep tows better, has more power, and gets much better mpg towing.

scott023
05-24-2012, 10:54 AM
After working at home for 20 years, my wife's job was outsourced, so now she has a real drive-to-work job. We live out in the sticks, so the Charger R/T isn't going to cut it in the winter. Considering trading it for a '12 Durango R/T, Hemi (of course) and tow package. Boat is a '98 Maristar 200. I have a '08 Ford diesel dually, and it was a necessity when pulling the Fountain, but clumsy on vaca with the MC. We've looked at Explorers (too small) and we've had 4 Expeditions, but the wife doesn't want something that big this time. I don't buy GMs. Anybody towing with a late model Durango/Grand Cherokee? How's it working for you?

There's your first problem... :D

mzimme
05-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Get her an F150 with the Ecoboost motor in it, and tell her to stop complaining about size :D

GT500 MC
05-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Towed the x14v (approx. 5k lbs w/trailer, gear) for two years with an '08 Durango w/Hemi and it was awesome. No lack of power or stopping power. But different chassis than the new Durangos.

madcityskier
05-24-2012, 12:21 PM
Buddy has the new Durango, hemi and tow package. Tows his 21 ft Supra very well. Brought a buddies new 25 footer at about 6,200 lbs. home Sunday. 3 hour drive, said it towed great. Definitely rides much better than the older body style and doesn't feel as big as it is.

JMCDONALD505
05-24-2012, 06:55 PM
I pull a 06 X2 with a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with a hemi and it pulls just fine! NO PROBLEMS what so ever.

ttu
05-24-2012, 07:02 PM
I pull a 06 X2 with a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with a hemi and it pulls just fine! NO PROBLEMS what so ever.

what type of mpg's are you getting towing with the jeep?

snork
05-24-2012, 08:11 PM
my durango gets 12 mpg pull'n the XStar 22-23 mpg without

X25John
05-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Just traded 11 GC Overland w Hemi for F150 Platinum w ecoboost. I towed a 2004 X10 and now have an X25. GC towed both just fine. Needed a little more room and a vehicle that didn't get pushed around. The truck is BIG.

toolz
05-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Thanks for all the replies and opinions. I called the dealer today and told him to find a Durango R/T in white. He made me a solid offer right out of the box, but he'll do better before it's over. My trade is mint with real low miles, so I have some leverage. I'll post some pics (with the MC) if we get it bought.

Lars
05-25-2012, 01:33 AM
Get a sedan and save some $$ for boat gas :)

JMCDONALD505
05-26-2012, 12:22 PM
what type of mpg's are you getting towing with the jeep?

About 13mpg

toolz
05-27-2012, 12:40 AM
Brought home a dark blue Durango R/T tonight. Kinda wanted white, but fell in love with dark blue. We drove 3 hours one way to get it, but the deal was just too good to pass up. Left at 11am, got back home at 10pm. Spent over 4 hours at the dealership. We ended up with a lot of options we didn't need, but considering the deal, we really didn't pay for them, and hopefully the car will be worth a bit more at trade-in time. The adaptive cruise control is way cool. Very impressed so far- will see how it tows soon. Thanks for all the positive comments- made me feel more confident about the buy.