PDA

View Full Version : Under teak ballast

sp00ky
05-24-2012, 01:53 AM
Anyone have an opinion about this ballast? Would it stress the teak too much? I am considering for my 94 205.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=WakeBOARD&postid=15916

Thanks

Brian B
05-24-2012, 01:57 AM
I think there would be too much drag on the boat to get out of the hole.

petermegan
05-24-2012, 02:47 AM
My physics is a bit stale but is this going to work? If your platform is basically touching the water when moving how can this add weight to your boat if it is only displacing the water that is under it anyway. Not saying I am 100% sure of this. Also I would not recommend trailering with it full, a recipe for disaster. Not keen on it at all hanging on the platform brackets.

hadzinak
05-24-2012, 04:50 AM
Why would you want something like that? What do you want to achieve by adding that?

sp00ky
05-24-2012, 04:58 AM
My physics is a bit stale but is this going to work? If your platform is basically touching the water when moving how can this add weight to your boat if it is only displacing the water that is under it anyway. Not saying I am 100% sure of this. Also I would not recommend trailering with it full, a recipe for disaster. Not keen on it at all hanging on the platform brackets.

That was my initial thought it wouldn't work as ballast as it would be under water. Anyway I saw it and wanted to get opinions.

SkiDog
05-24-2012, 08:42 AM
That was my initial thought it wouldn't work as ballast as it would be under water. Anyway I saw it and wanted to get opinions.

JUNK, plain JUNK!

02ProstarSammyD
05-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Seems like a government design to me. I'm in the same boat as the others..........crap

For 250 there a bunch of straight line setups on ebay that come with like 1500lbs.

CCAnderson
05-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Here are my two cents. If it works so well then why are they selling it. I like the concept of being able to add weight without messing with interior space but I am sceptical of the longterm ability of the platform brackets to hold this additional stress as well as the load on the transom. I tend to default to trusting in the engineering capability of boat manufacturers. If this is really such a good idea it would be an option available from the manufacturer.

SpOOky and Peter are somewhat correct, at idle speed and and sitting still the tank will be atleast partially submerged reducing its effective weight. However at planning speed I would expect the tank to be completely above water line thus providing its full ballast potential. Of course this all speculation without actually seeing the tank in use.

BrooksfamX2
05-24-2012, 10:56 AM
SpOOky and Peter are somewhat correct, at idle speed and and sitting still the tank will be atleast partially submerged reducing its effective weight. However at planning speed I would expect the tank to be completely above water line thus providing its full ballast potential. .....................

I concur...........:)

ttu
05-24-2012, 11:18 AM
i posted this a few years ago!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=23441

petermegan
05-24-2012, 03:21 PM
My platform isn't that far out of the water when up on the plane, I am suspicious the tank may even hang in the water far enough to be giving some uplift to the back of the boat defeating the purpose entirely. Hmm don't think I want it. :)

Sodar
05-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Hey.... I know that boat!

If you end up buying the tank, tell the owner he looks like a girl!

Granite_33
05-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Not seeing the "return to dock with the tank mostly empty" happening with this design unless you come off plane and immediately run back to the swim deck and close up the holes.

Also it looks like it could block / redirect quite a bit of the exhaust gas.

I see the potential for ballast at higher speeds but at slower speeds, it looks like it would not be effective.

Not interested in screwing anything to the bottom of my teak.

I have a couple of fat friends........think I'll keep using them instead.

sp00ky
05-24-2012, 10:26 PM
it was interesting at 1a after a couple of beers. Especially since my head is spinning with intricate ballast plans. But yes if it was so good why aren't they selling it.

SkiDog
05-25-2012, 09:06 AM
Not seeing the "return to dock with the tank mostly empty" happening with this design unless you come off plane and immediately run back to the swim deck and close up the holes.

Also it looks like it could block / redirect quite a bit of the exhaust gas.

I see the potential for ballast at higher speeds but at slower speeds, it looks like it would not be effective.

Not interested in screwing anything to the bottom of my teak.

I have a couple of fat friends........think I'll keep using them instead.

Yea, they like boating too! You shouldn't have been embarrassed to post a pic of them on the back of your truck though!:D:D:D

Sodar
05-25-2012, 10:31 AM
it was interesting at 1a after a couple of beers. Especially since my head is spinning with intricate ballast plans. But yes if it was so good why aren't they selling it.

Because pRic is a slalom skier and a chick. 8p

CCAnderson
05-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks TTU.

What an ugly contraption.

BrooksfamX2
05-25-2012, 12:51 PM
OK, that picture should dissapear...............CantRepeat, where are you...........

Granite_33
05-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Yea, they like boating too! You shouldn't have been embarrassed to post a pic of them on the back of your truck though!:D:D:D

In the boat they are great ballast. Out of the boat, I use them for floating islands to set my cooler and gas grill on!! :D

Ric
07-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Anyone have an opinion about this ballast? Would it stress the teak too much? I am considering for my 94 205.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=WakeBOARD&postid=15916

Thanks

These are all good questions , well except for Dog! 8p

Thats my listing. I cannot speak to the wakeboarding performance of the tank. I removed the tank when I bought the boat because we don't run ballast. No serious wakeboarders in the family.
I do know that it fit quite well on the 205's platform, and I do know that it does fill and drain as described..
Yes, you can cap it when you stop and it will be mostly dry. You can also simply leave it uncapped when you get back to the dock and let it drain as you pull the boat up the ramp, but I didnt like that idea.
It didnt seem to overstress the transom or the platform. The previous owner used this configuration for many years and the boat shows no stress damage.
I dont want to throw this tank away, but it's hard to sell since nobody's seen them AND it's complicated to ship.
I've changed the listing to $50, but the buyer needs to be able to pickup the tank here in Houston.
"That's all I've got to say about that"

jschildm
08-21-2012, 01:20 PM
There was one on my '98 PS 205 when I bought it. There didn't seem to be any additional stress on the hull from it. I wasn't very good at wakeboarding and took it off after 1 trip out, but never took the caps off of it to try it out. It was out of the water at speed, and I am sure would provide decent ballast (might need some up front to off-set). I like the idea of ballast without taking up space, but couldn't justify it at my skill level, at least at that time. Mine is still sitting in the garage leaning against the wall; if anyone wants to come get it from southeast Iowa they can have it, haha.