PDA

View Full Version : 2012 piggy back ballast fix

Diver14
05-23-2012, 05:54 PM
After experiencing the same issues that many of you have mentioned regarding the 2012 models not being able to fill past the factory ballast I thought I would share my fix. There are other fixes on this board some more complex than others. This cost me about 500 bucks and could have been about 300 cheaper had I opted to just use a polarity reversing switch instead of the timers but this was a pretty easy fix and fairly inexpensive.

Here is what I did...

I don't have a power tower or tower lights so I ordered three Ballast switches from mastercraft and put them in the factory mounting for the power tower switch and the tower lights switches so that all looks factory. Then I purchased three Jabsco ballast timers from wakemakers and ran them in parallel with the factory system. I use the switches to turn on the timers and the timers to turn on the existing pumps. SO once the Big has filled everything factory up I simply flip the new switches to continue filling the bags that I added using the existing pumps. With the timers I can set it to fill the bags perfectly prior to shutting off. Then when I drain I simply revers the process. Drain with my switches until the timers end which drains the piggy back system then I drain using the big. None of the plug and play parts were needed.

I piggy backed my bags and they are vented. IMPORTANT!!! Keep in mind that if you do this you will want to be careful about having the factory draining and the added switches filling. (not that you would ever do this on purpose) This is the only potential problem and could create a direct short. The timers would go into protection mode if this happend but you still want to be mindful of that. I added a switch that is somewhat hidden that is a main power switch that provides power to the added switches so that someone who doesn't know what they are doing wont accidentally turn both on at the same time.

I looked into software changes etc for the big and considered trying to trick the system however medallion and Mastercraft are on the rocks so no luck there and didnt fill like messing with tricking the system. Seemed like a lot of bugs to work through. This was a fairly easy upgrade and pretty straight forward.

Diver14
05-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Update... On the water this interferes with the big so I am going to just order three pumps and use them in addition to the factory. Basically a second ballast system. Still under 1k for everything and will look factory at the switches and my BIG will work.

bcd
05-25-2012, 05:48 AM
You could wire in 2 single pole double throw relays into each circuit that would switch between the Jabsco timer and the factory controller. Check out the bottom schematic on this post: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=46151&page=2. The 2 relays on the right side are an example of what I'm talking about. Then under normal operation, the factory system wouldn't know your aftermarket additions are there.

Diver14
05-25-2012, 07:14 AM
I thought about it but at this point I just want to seperate the systems 100%. Since the timers are allready installed all I have to do is mount the pumps and t into the intake lines so it should be a fairly basic change. This will also allow me to fill faster for surfing. I will run the aux port pump to the starboard side and the aux starboard pump to the port side so i could for instance run both pumps to fill the port side for surfing at the same time since they wont be sharing an an intake line.