PDA

View Full Version : How often do you change trans fluid

imracin68j
05-23-2012, 02:11 PM
I haven't changed mine in a long time. The fluid still looks red. When you think of the amount of time we put on a boat compared to a car its far less and I haven't changed my trans fluid in my Avalanche in a long time. How do you know when it's time to change it? How do you get to the filter? Isn't under the trans. 88 mc prostar btw.

Kyle
05-23-2012, 02:20 PM
I change mine every 100 hours or once a year

ricford
05-23-2012, 02:44 PM
88 prostar probably doesn't have a filter.

Kyle
05-23-2012, 03:38 PM
The filter is in the bottom hose that returns back to the cooler. I have been inside many velvet drive trannys and have seen how nasty they can get. That being said I would just change the fluid.

To change the filter that may or may not be there, remove the bottom tranny line from the transmission. Stick your finger into the casing of the tranny and a filter could be in were the threads are. You have to finger it or dig it out. Then spray it off with brake cleaner and put it back in. It is a plastic screen basicly.

If you have low hours then just replace the fluid. It is much easier and cleaner. When you remove the bottom hose you will have tranny fluid drip into your bilge.

My 2 cents

Dino Don
05-23-2012, 04:55 PM
I just take a suction hand pump and pull out all I can and replace it. Any better ways?

bturner2
05-24-2012, 07:24 AM
I do mine every year at lay up. Doesn't take long and is cheap to do. I use a suction pump then measure the amount I've taken out. I then replace the old with the same amount taken out. This gets my level real close. I check in the spring and call it done.

mayo93prostar
05-24-2012, 07:33 AM
I do the same as bturner2, change each year at layup. it is cheap and easy to do as a preventative maintenance.

Panda Cub
05-24-2012, 07:34 AM
Yearly