PDA

View Full Version : Home Security System?

shepherd
05-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Looking for ideas for a relatively cheap security system to prevent or discourage break-ins at a vacation cottage. We don't have a phone line or cable hook-up there, but might invest in one if necessary. Any experts out there? I was told that just mounting a few fake security cameras on the exterior of the house would scare most burglars away to the next house.

DooSPX
05-23-2012, 12:18 PM
I would say that is correct for an extent. Most low lifes are punk kids, but a serious burglar, who sells on the black market may not be fooled if he studies the place for a little bit.

I am going to be setting up IP camera's at my parents house soon, hooked up to a server w/ a web interface.

gts-20
05-23-2012, 12:35 PM
I have a suggestion for the "type" of camera you may want to mount. At least this is how we do it in Texas, lol.

Sorry, I couldn't help it.....;-)

russlars
05-23-2012, 12:49 PM
We have the same situation with our lake house. My friend installed an ADT system at his home and I begged a few stickers off of him that I put on my door and windows. Not sure how much of a deterrent that this is but I figure that it can't hurt.

shepherd
05-23-2012, 01:11 PM
I have a suggestion for the "type" of camera you may want to mount. At least this is how we do it in Texas, lol.

Sorry, I couldn't help it.....;-)

LOL, that would be great! Unfortunately, I see some potential liability issues with that system. :(

JohnE
05-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Shep I've installed hundreds of burglar alarms. There are complete wireless systems and partial wireless systems. If you don't have it monitored it won't be very effective. There are now cellular dialers that cost about $150 to buy. (no service to suscribe to aside from the monthly monitoring cost) I also have the warning stickers I can send you.;)

shepherd
05-23-2012, 02:23 PM
I was wondering if there was some kind of cellular phone system. I'll do some Google research, but can you recommend a specific system? Also, what do you mean by monthly monitoring cost? Is that just the monthly cost of the cell phone service?

Thanks John.

02ProstarSammyD
05-23-2012, 02:32 PM
I have 2 pit bulls and enough weapons to fight off a zombie army(which will eventually happen). They may only lick you to death but the bark is big.

Looking for ideas for a relatively cheap security system to prevent or discourage break-ins at a vacation cottage. We don't have a phone line or cable hook-up there, but might invest in one if necessary. Any experts out there? I was told that just mounting a few fake security cameras on the exterior of the house would scare most burglars away to the next house.

they sell "fake" cameras with a recording light. If I recall some are even solar so you just mount them up and instant "fake" protection. Agree that most thiefs are teenagers. make them think someone else is an easier target.

Ski-me
05-23-2012, 02:39 PM
I was wondering if there was some kind of cellular phone system. I'll do some Google research, but can you recommend a specific system? Also, what do you mean by monthly monitoring cost? Is that just the monthly cost of the cell phone service?

Thanks John.

Don't know if this works (but I'm hoping for my personal home)..... we added another "home line" on Verizon Wireless family plan and now we have our home phone system running via cellular vs. traditional Qwest phone lines.

It has only cost us $10 per month additional and it works just like a regular phone. We get a dial tone, 911 works and it comes with a backup battery if power goes down. Also saved me a lot compared to Qwest.

In our new home we are having an entire system installed next week and I'm hoping I can just use my Verizon home phone as their "phone connection".

ctjahn
05-23-2012, 02:59 PM
My garage is detached from my house and I worry about break ins... I have a fake keypad, video, and alarm stickers from Northern Tool (or was it Harbor Freight?)

My folks have a nosey neighbor at thier vacation place who they pay off with food, beer, sausage, and other stuff. He watches the place like a hawk and checks in from time to time to make sure the furnace is running in winter and the dehumidifier is running in summer.

I also have a video cam that allows me to check on stuff but never hooked it up. Internet enabled (actually bought it for my wife. to check on the dogs)...

For those unfamilar, this may work for boats: http://www.trailer-alarms.com/ (and or other stuff that moves using a cheap cell with GPS enabled (Used by lots of racers). (some people wired their trailers to 110 with a hidden switch but that also has liability issues...

Based upon experience criminals go for the easiest target unless you make them interested and/or give them an big excuse to check things out... and risk the penalties.

Best of luck.
Cj

east tx skier
05-23-2012, 05:24 PM
You can pick up 4 camera systems with dvrs for a few hundred bucks. After a few auto break ins in our drive way, we installed one. That with lighting overkill is a pretty strong deterrent, at least for our local low life types.

charrison327
05-23-2012, 05:46 PM
IMO a monitored system is a waste of money. get a system that has contacts on your doors, interior motion, and a few windows maybe. have the loudest horn you can run and that's all you need. to pay a monitoring system (IMO) is a waste. by the time the alarm goes off, the company attempts to call you, you don't answer, they call local law enforcement, it gets routed to a dispatcher, and then to an officer. most of the time, the response is so delayed, you've wasted your money. if it makes you feel better, their our kits that you can get that dial your cell phone or whatever number you choose, but just loud horns seem to do the job. as a law enforcement officer, this is just my suggestion.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-23-2012, 05:52 PM
I have a wireless cellular based alarm system from Vivant. Great company and I have been very happy with it. I sold commercial ADT systems for a bunch of years a long time ago, and I had the same ADT system until 2 years ago. When I had a new land-line phone wired and the phone was disconnected for about 15 minutes, ADT never responded. They used to advertise that they would call/respond for a cut phone line. Now all you have to do is cut the phone line and the system is disabled. I would be happy to give a referral, and discount, to anyone going with these guys. The system is much more effective and has a live voice system for verification. http://www.vivint.com/

DJ 50
05-23-2012, 10:27 PM
IMO a monitored system is a waste of money. get a system that has contacts on your doors, interior motion, and a few windows maybe. have the loudest horn you can run and that's all you need. to pay a monitoring system (IMO) is a waste. by the time the alarm goes off, the company attempts to call you, you don't answer, they call local law enforcement, it gets routed to a dispatcher, and then to an officer. most of the time, the response is so delayed, you've wasted your money. if it makes you feel better, their our kits that you can get that dial your cell phone or whatever number you choose, but just loud horns seem to do the job. as a law enforcement officer, this is just my suggestion.

X2. Also a cop and it's sometimes several hours before we ever respond to an alarm call. An audible alarm is best no need to pay for a monitored system.

charrison327
05-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by charrison327
IMO a monitored system is a waste of money. get a system that has contacts on your doors, interior motion, and a few windows maybe. have the loudest horn you can run and that's all you need. to pay a monitoring system (IMO) is a waste. by the time the alarm goes off, the company attempts to call you, you don't answer, they call local law enforcement, it gets routed to a dispatcher, and then to an officer. most of the time, the response is so delayed, you've wasted your money. if it makes you feel better, there are kits that you can get that dial your cell phone or whatever number you choose, but just loud horns seem to do the job. as a law enforcement officer, this is just my suggestion.

Sorry, had to fix a few grammatical errors.....there are probably more, but the "thier our" from my first post was killing me

thatsmrmastercraft
05-24-2012, 09:54 AM
The average person is way more likely to have a fire in their house than to have a break in. Any decent alarm system will include a smoke detector that will cause the fire dept to respond. A monitored security system is worth it just for that feature.

Ski-me
05-24-2012, 12:26 PM
The average person is way more likely to have a fire in their house than to have a break in. Any decent alarm system will include a smoke detector that will cause the fire dept to respond. A monitored security system is worth it just for that feature.

Valid point. I am also getting a flood sensor in both basements as well as the heat/smoke alarms.

It also eases my spouse and kid's minds (3 girls). We could argue if it's worth it or not, but it does give my wife some comfort having it monitored.......so that's what we are doing. I did check into the prices for a monthly fee and paid attention to that.

$29/month.......worth it for me. :cool:

thatsmrmastercraft
05-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Valid point. I am also getting a flood sensor in both basements as well as the heat/smoke alarms.

It also eases my spouse and kid's minds (3 girls). We could argue if it's worth it or not but it does give my wife some comfort having it monitored.......so that's what we are doing. I did check into the prices for a monthly fee and paid attention to that. $29/month.......worth it for me. :cool:

With all the competition, most everyone is giving a discount with a referral. Take a look at whatever company you are going with.

I have gotten a lot of discounts with my Direct TV from referrals.....$100 discount per person.