PDA

View Full Version : Boat House Music Question

Iskidaily
05-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Looking for the right music solution for the boat house area and would really appreciate your insights, experience and ideas.

What I have: Power and wireless on a permanent dock about 100' from the house

What I want: Amplified music and a couple of speakers in the dock area with the ability to play iPod and Pandora. I would prefer that the device include Pandora capability without an iPod or iPhone.

The boathouse is enclosed and "dry" but no air conditioning and its full of chairs, skis, boards and fishing equipment, so not a very friendly place for delicate equipment.

I got a pass from the wife to buy what I need, but the budget is not unlimited.

Experience? Links? Want to come install it? I'll share beer and offer a pull if you're willing to help!:D

Thanks guys

zamboniman
05-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Sonos. Life changing stuff.

mzimme
05-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Pics of the boathouse would help.

jafo9
05-23-2012, 10:57 AM
you could do this fairly inexpensively with a cheap receiver and an AirPort Express (AE) from Apple. Connect the AE to the receiver. You can then use AirPlay to stream music from your iPhone or iPod touch to the AE. You can also stream content from an iTunes device in your house and control it from the Remote App on your iPhone/iPod/iPad. I'm not sure about pandora streaming as i've never tried it. our "boathouse" is really just a large closet on the dock that we use for storage. I've gone through 3 iPods and i'm on the 3rd receiver. the first receiver/ipod combo gave out from old age and the heat. they lasted a few summers but both were really old. the next set got fried in a lightning strike. this is where i learned that there is a special light on most surge protectors that tell you if they are actually protecting the gear. the current receiver is a used model i picked up on ebay and the iPod is a refurb i got off the apple site. i try to keep as little money invested in the outdoor gear and thus i don't get too upset when it dies. it stays in the heat all summer and i only take it inside during winter.

Iskidaily
05-23-2012, 11:23 AM
ask and ye shall receive

mzimme
05-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Is the ceiling under that roof open, or is it finished off? If it's open that makes wiring easy. Get a few outdoor speakers (4 or so) and aim two at that little round white table area, and two towards your sundeck area. Grab a receiver with A and B speaker controls, so you can turn the speaker zones off and on as needed. Like the jafo said, you could go the airport route, or just run an RCA cable with headphone adapter to someplace that you will store the music source (computer, phone, ipod, etc.) You can plug almost anything in with a headphone jack these days. If you bought a laptop only for the boat house, you could browse to any of your favorite internet radio sites... pandora, slacker, audiogalaxy, etc and stream whatever music you wanted there. A dedicated ipod touch with wifi access would accomplish the same feat.

Just some ideas, but that's how I'd hook it up given your setup.

Nice place by the way!

Iskidaily
05-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks mzimme- I think thats the direction I'm headed, but was hoping someone knows about a rugged, cheap and versatile receiver that has the integrated pandora / internet capability so I can skip the iPod or laptop. Now - where to buy it cheap and fast!

frosty
05-23-2012, 11:37 AM
you could do this fairly inexpensively with a cheap receiver and an AirPort Express (AE) from Apple. Connect the AE to the receiver. You can then use AirPlay to stream music from your iPhone or iPod touch to the AE. You can also stream content from an iTunes device in your house and control it from the Remote App on your iPhone/iPod/iPad

I would agree with Jafo9, the Airport Extreme is $99 new, I picked up a refurb for about $55, and it will also stream Pandora direct from the iPhone, etc.
Other benefit is your buddies can bring their own iPhone & play it thru your speakers.

I like the idea of leaving a desktop / notebook inside the house, and controlling it all with the remote app on the iDevice.
Bring your phone inside when done, and the only stuff outside is the speakers, amp, and AE!

kskonn
05-23-2012, 11:42 AM
I use Sonos. It is great, everything in one, amp, and all the various internet streaming you could desire. Not cheap but also not off the chart expensive.

mzimme
05-23-2012, 11:47 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR414-5-1-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B0077V88YU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1337784271&sr=8-8

That receiver will allow you to connect to your home network, stream music from your home computer, play pandora or other internet streaming devices, and also allow you to control all of the functions via an app on the iphone/android.

That's a pretty solid receiver to do what you need it to do, and it's pretty all inclusive. No extra perhiperals that you'd need to buy other than speakers.

Ski-me
05-23-2012, 12:52 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR414-5-1-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B0077V88YU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1337784271&sr=8-8

That receiver will allow you to connect to your home network, stream music from your home computer, play pandora or other internet streaming devices, and also allow you to control all of the functions via an app on the iphone/android.

That's a pretty solid receiver to do what you need it to do, and it's pretty all inclusive. No extra perhiperals that you'd need to buy other than speakers.

OK that's a pretty cool unit and it looks to be very flexible! I am just about ready to wire our whole house with speakers and Cat6 Cable and that Onkyo looks to solve a few of my problems. Especially if I can have some sort of IR receiver in each room that would feed down to the reciever.....all my my Android phone. Thanks!

mzimme
05-23-2012, 12:58 PM
OK that's a pretty cool unit and it looks to be very flexible! I am just about ready to wire our whole house with speakers and Cat6 Cable and that Onkyo looks to solve a few of my problems. Especially if I can have some sort of IR receiver in each room that would feed down to the reciever.....all my my Android phone. Thanks!

If you're going to do your whole house, I'd look into one of the higher up models with more HDMI ports, and that sort of thing. Onkyo makes a very good entry level receiver for the price. I've been very happy with mine that I bought about 8 years ago. Still works great.

zamboniman
05-23-2012, 01:21 PM
I'll say it again... sonos. Not the cheapest entry although much better now that you can use something like an iphone as a free controller.. and you can use their cheap bridge instead of a dedicated music zone if you aren't looking for music at the first connection point to the network. Once you have it in your house the way you listen to music will forever change, you'll wish you had it sooner, and you won't think it was so expensive.

Also regarding whole house... SONOS! Forget about a receiver that supports multiple zones.. and having IR receivers in various rooms.. That is a ridiculous implementation once you understand and experience what a sonos can do with ease.

I often hear the airplay does the same thing.... it does not. The sonos is an airplay on steroids from a music perspective. And it runs stand alone assuming network connectivity somewhere. No aipod necessary, no computer necessary, no technical nohow, simple interface.

not to be a fan boy but after having it in our home for many years it's the single piece of technology that I think I've gotten far more than what I've paid out of it. And my one year old daughter can start it up and play music.

park190
05-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Sonos. Life changing stuff.

SONOS all the way!! Couldn't agree more. We have never looked back!

Ski-me
05-23-2012, 03:26 PM
SONOS all the way!! Couldn't agree more. We have never looked back!

OK, so if I want to have 5-6 different zones, would I need to buy 6 different Sonos Amps at $500 each?

jafo9
05-23-2012, 03:41 PM
i don't know much about sonos stuff, but you can use a speaker selector switch to safely create multiple zones. in our full time house i've got a 6 speaker pair switch with independent volume control hooked to the "zone 2" on my denon receiver. "zone 1" runs the 5.1 system and the 2 extra amps are dedicated to "zone 2". with this setup, i don't even bother using the "zone 3" on my AVR. i think the switch was only $300-$400 bucks.

kskonn
05-23-2012, 03:59 PM
OK, so if I want to have 5-6 different zones, would I need to buy 6 different Sonos Amps at $500 each?

Not necesarrily, you should go to a magnolia best buy or a high end Home audio place and look at the full product line. You can use an amp and still incorporate sonos etc... I ended up buying different sonos amps, one for outdoors, one for living room, one for game room etc... It is just so much better than my system I had before. You can run the same music or different music in each room, you can control from your phone or a really nice touch screen remote that they have. you can independently control volume in each room and it takes very little time to set up. as long as the components are within range of each other(200ft) i believe you can run them all wirelesly. I spent a total of about 4k on my whole house, about 10 of my buddies have switched their whole house to Sonos after checking my house out.

Just like we say with the boats go check the stuff out in person and see what works best.

brucemac
05-23-2012, 05:31 PM
+1 for Sonos. the mobile app is awesome. i wish i would have bought it a long time ago. not sure if your wifi signal reaches down there to the boat house or not, but i'd definitely at least check it out. kind of depends on what you're after i suppose, but we've been super happy with ours. the biggest thing for me and one that most people overlook (or maybe don't care about as much as I do) is that it allows you to play the same source (or different source) on multiple units without sync issues. think of trying to sync up two different receivers in different rooms so that they're playing each note at the same time. Sonos does this. they've also got an amp that will drive in-walls or other smaller speakers. it does get costly though. my only real beef with them is that they charge $349 for the unit that hooks up your receiver and makes it its own zone. anyway, good luck. wish i had your problems. ;)

target and best buy are now carrying them by the way if you want to go give them a look.

tomwilli2025
05-23-2012, 05:50 PM
+1 on Sonos. It's a really great system.

Iskidaily
05-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Thanks to all for the fast help and advice. 2 more days 'til Memorial day weekend!

park190
05-23-2012, 08:49 PM

We have one amp for our Sonos in the main family room and wireless Sonos speakers for all others. I have to say both the 3 and the 5 put out high quality sound. We also have a Bose sound dock for the iPods and I have to say the Sonos almost sounds better, especially at higher volume. We love the flexibility of moving the speakers around as well. It may be an up front out of pocket expense but you will enjoy! I have no affiliation with Sonos; just think they have great products. My two cents

Iskidaily
07-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Following up to tell you what I did... I ended up putting a shelf up high in the boathouse to hold a receiver that I got cheap on amazon.com. It was an older model that they still had new, model so at $127.00, it was 1/3 the original price. I then got two Polk Audio outdoor speakers and put them under the roof. The speakers came with brackets that made it easy to point them exactly where I wanted, which was a real plus, because while I like my music, I don't presume the entire lake shares my passions. Finally, by hooking a wireless device (iphone, itouch or ipad) to the receiver, we now have all the music we want using our own stored music, Iheart radio and Pandora.

It passed the test. Once the family figured out how to use it, they are now in love. My sister in law is a lake skeptic, but with the the music on the dock, it is now her favorite place.

Verdict: If you don't have music on your dock today, go get it!

jafo9
07-01-2012, 10:14 AM
how does the "wireless" device connect?