PDA

View Full Version : In hull transducer

cjprostar
05-23-2012, 07:22 AM
What should I use to glue in my transducer? I am thinking silicone caulking in case I ever need to remove it.
Thanks,
C J

CantRepeat
05-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Either slow cure epoxy or 3M 5200.

Here's a good write up on installing a through hull.

http://midlandsstriperclub.homestead.com/Installing_A_Shoot-thru.pdf

Oh and:

Transducers need a solid material to resonate the signal through. Using silicon to attach the transducers is like putting a rubber mat between the hull and the transducer. Ain't going to work worth a darn.

02ProstarSammyD
05-23-2012, 08:23 AM
in hull or thru hull?

hewlett6621
05-23-2012, 08:24 AM
You need to use slow drying epoxy ,so there is no air bubbles traped underneath the transducer.

Barefooter92
05-23-2012, 08:31 AM
^^^x2 (What he said) I used 3m marine epoxy. I get what your saying about futrue removal but just clip the wires and leave it if it fails sometime down the road. If you have a void (ie air bubble) it will effect the unit and give you either an inaccurate reading or void.

mwg
05-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Not to sound like I do things half a$$ but if you are worried about removing it or are just trying to find the perfect spot, try a piece of a toilet wax ring (tear off a piece and kneed t to get all the air bubbles out of it). I know guys who have had traducers held in place for years this way.

cjprostar
05-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Thanks guys, I read the link and just could not glue down the sender without testing it first. I'll never admit to doing things half *** either but I used the wax to secure the sender until I test it this weekend. Then, if everything is OK, we might test the wax to see how long it works. Thanks for the advice and I'll share the results.
C J