PDA

View Full Version : Non-ethanol gas vs 130 mile tow....

d2jp
05-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Headed to lake for the long weekend. I can buy ethanol-free gas in my hometown (87 octane, sometimes 90), but it's a 130 mile tow to the lake. Between here and there, nothing but 10% ethanol and of course on the lake, fuel is much more expensive and also 10% ethanol.

I usually try and tow with as little fuel on board a possible, but I'm thinking of filling up with ethanol-free 87 before I hit the road. 100 or so extra pounds, but probably worth it?

Thoughts?

AZX9
05-23-2012, 01:28 AM
I doubt the six pounds per gallon will cause any noticeable difference in MPG but would weigh more than 100 lbs. Buy the gas and tow. Or the way I see it, buy it in whichever location sells the fuel the cheapest regardless of Ethanol. I really don't trust that stations carry ethanol free gas, especially since I have never seen pumps that touted that they don't have ethanol in their gas. Most fuel comes from the same tank farm and most likely all gets blended with ethanol. If that station doesn't advertise it as 100% you may want to question it. just because there is not a sticker on the pump saying in contains ethanol doesn't mean it doesn't have it.

Cobra Rob
05-23-2012, 05:38 AM
I don't think the weight makes any difference really. I usually tow full tank just not to deal with it but I have also never towed a long distance yet.

CruisinGA
05-23-2012, 08:47 AM
Lots of "ethanol free" gas stations here in the SouthEast

If you are going to burn that entire tank of gas this coming weekend, I would not sweat it. Just go back to ethanol free when you get back.

jbkriss
05-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Lots of "ethanol free" gas stations here in the SouthEast

If you are going to burn that entire tank of gas this coming weekend, I would not sweat it. Just go back to ethanol free when you get back.

I agree. If you're going to go through it on a long weekend, the ethanol is not a big deal, I think. The problem with ethanol in the gas is when it sits in the tank for an extended period of time and draws water to it.

CruisinGA
05-23-2012, 03:46 PM
I agree. If you're going to go through it on a long weekend, the ethanol is not a big deal, I think. The problem with ethanol in the gas is when it sits in the tank for an extended period of time and draws water to it.

Bingo.

tommyadrian5
05-23-2012, 04:30 PM
In that case some gas water absorber prior to running takes care of the issue.

d2jp
05-23-2012, 04:39 PM

Good information all, and thanks for the feedback. I will burn up this tank over the weekend, and tow back close to empty - so no gas sitting around in boat for extended period of time.

Gas is much cheaper in VA than in NC (where I'm going) so I will fill up the Suburban and boat at Kroger (cheapest gas around and points go to my kids HS band program, also saving me money).