PDA

View Full Version : Packing leak and possible ballast leak (video)

Brian B
05-22-2012, 07:33 PM
Here's a video of the water coming in from my drive shaft packing. I have never looked at this before and I'm assuming this is a lot of water, or more than acceptable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lglm5PJehK4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I was told by a wakeboat tech that I should just be able to tighten the packing nut. Any truth to this?

Also, I'm taking in water in the back corner of the port ski locker. (See photo) The water spot you see on the carpet was from about 5 minutes in the water and after filling the port ballast tank. The water began seeping from the rear towards the transom. If the tank itself is leaking it would have had to run down the floorboard and settled near the transom before soaking into the carpet. It was not visible at or near the ballast tank. I'm 40 minutes from the lake and would have to wait for this to dry before going back and NOT filling ballast to determine if the water was in fact coming from the tank. No hoses or pumps have any signs of leakage.... There are no cracks, holes, or any visible signs of damage to the hull in this area......

Thoughts please!

ricford
05-23-2012, 12:18 AM
You can tighten the packing nut. Loosen the jam nut, then tighten the packing nut an eighth of a turn at a time. It should drip 8 drips or so a minute when under way, none when stopped. If you get the leak to stop make sure it's not getting too hot when under way. If you can't get it to stop by tightening you'll have to change the packing material. Lots of threads on here to help with that. Fairly simple to do.

Brian B
05-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks!

Any input on the locker leak? Anyone seen the transom tie down eye leak?