PDA

View Full Version : Dry suit advice...

bigmac
08-20-2005, 02:12 PM
It will get cold here soon, and I want to get a dry suit. My use will be primarily hydrofoiling (Air Chair), so I don't think drag is a big issue. Water temps down to about 60 F, I suspect. I'm not hard core, and I don't want to spend a lot of money on the thing.

Overtons...I'm torn between nylon and neoprene...

http://www.overtons.com/graphics/products/medium/18098M.jpg versus http://www.overtons.com/graphics/products/medium/17275M.jpg

I'd appreciate insights into one vs the other concept.

erkoehler
08-20-2005, 03:14 PM
All the guys that I foot with have the nylon "bag" style suit. That is what I will be buying in September or early October. Probably from www.barefootcentral.com

erkoehler
08-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Here is the link to the one that I plan to buy:

http://store.barefootcentral.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=115

AirJunky
08-20-2005, 03:56 PM
A neoprene suit is definitely more comfortable & should be fine for air temps down to 40 & water temps down to like 50.

Baggys are best for cold temps when you need to layer up to keep warm. We'll see air temps in the 20s & water temps in the 30s & be warm (relatively speaking) & dry. Plus when you shed the suit, your still dressed. I've skied with my wallet & my cell phone in my pocket more than a few times & not had a problem. The suits with the feet, barefoot cuffs & non-skid butt are sold at: Wiley's (http://wileyski.com/cgi-bin/dmagic/dmagic.cgi?user=wiley&dm_form_name=viewitem&dbi_field=record&dbi_operator=is_equal_to&dbi_string=30%7C1101928178%7CDrysuit%7CDrysuit%7C2 005%20Hydrofoiling%20Drysuit%7C$339%7C%7CStaydry%7 CStay%20Dry%20and%20Warm%20%21%7Cjakesuit%7CHorizo ntal%7CThis%20is%20it%21%20Designed%20by%20the%20A ir%20Junky%20Team%20specifically%20for%20Hydrofoil ing.%20The%20suit%20features%20built%20in%20latex% 20feet,%20wrist%20cuff%20protectors%20and%20a%20co rdura%20butt%20panel%20for%20extra%20stick%20to%20 your%20seat%20pad.%20Available%20in%20stock%20Red/Black,%20or%20Yellow/Black.%20%3Cfont%20face=Arial%20color=#000080%3E%2 03%20week%20lead%20time-%20for%20special%20orders.%3Cbr%3E%7CNo) and Adrenaline Watersports (http://www.adrenalinewatersports.com/ProdDetl.aspx?ID=295&CatID=8&SubID=17) .

We always called the neo suits "semi-dry suits" because thats about how dry they will keep ya after a year or two. Plus it's a drag to change clothes in the boat when it's 35 degrees out!

Some more items to help extend your season......
Heatercraft boat heaters (http://www.heatercraft.com/)
Hot Wrap Blankets (http://www.skyski.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=104)

Another option is a hot water shower, also made by Heatercraft, and easily mocked with parts from Home Depot. But frankly using a baggy suit with the feet in it & a good boat heater, your set.

Hope that helps!!

-edit- interesting little side note...... most all baggy suits are made in a factory in Oregon. USIA, OS Systems, Staydry, Adrenaline, Bare, etc. For the most part the materials & seals are the same. The only difference is the pattern itself.

bigmac
08-20-2005, 04:26 PM
Plus when you shed the suit, your still dressed. I've skied with my wallet & my cell phone in my pocket more than a few times & not had a problem.

That cracks me up... :D

My MC does have the heater.

I think I'm going to go baggy. I know that that will disappoint my wife - I think she was thinking that if I got the neoprene, I'd look like the guy in the ad...
http://www.overtons.com/graphics/products/medium/17275M.jpg

erkoehler
08-20-2005, 04:48 PM
Can you guys recommend any specific heater? It would be going in a 96 MC PS 190 and would be used by driver area and possibly oberserver. Not to go to the rear of the boat.

I looked at the link that is posted above, but it has a bunch of heaters on there, which one would be specific and good for use in the MC?

AirJunky
08-20-2005, 04:59 PM
I have 300HSD Super Duty with 2 snorkels, 2 dash vents & one at the driver's feet & it flat rocks.
But most MCs have the 200-H2 with 1 snorkel and 1 at the driver's feet.

erkoehler
08-20-2005, 05:02 PM
I have 300HSD Super Duty with 2 snorkels, 2 dash vents & one at the driver's feet & it flat rocks.
But most MCs have the 200-H2 with 1 snorkel and 1 at the driver's feet.

Do you mind me asking how much that runs? I can't find anything pertaining to pricing or ordering on the website.

How is the install? Did you do it yourself or have the dealer do it?

AirJunky
08-20-2005, 05:11 PM
You'll probably have to order it thru a dealer anyway. I'm not sure if Heatercraft does any direct sales.
SkiDIM carries them here (http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1020\)

And be sure to get the Y fitting to install your heater intake at the raw water pump in your bilge. This pump is a higher volume pump than the one on your engine & you'll get heat at lower RPMs.

The install was pretty easy. The hardest part was removing the windshield to get the dash vents installed. But if your only doing the 2 vent, thats a moot point.

Also, seems like Brad's list group is doing a group buy. Maybe thru Wakeside? Might be a way to get a few bucks off.

erkoehler
08-20-2005, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the info! I will probably go with the 300 series as it gets pretty chilly up here :D

Also plan to add a hot water shower before Oct.

bigmac
08-20-2005, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the info! I will probably go with the 300 series as it gets pretty chilly up here :D

Heaters, showers....boy this MasterCraft stuff is a whole different level of boating, isn't it?

erkoehler
08-20-2005, 05:36 PM
If I put on a bimini, I could move in :D

AirJunky
08-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Heaters, showers....boy this MasterCraft stuff is a whole different level of boating, isn't it?
Yea, I guess so. Although I had a heater in my old Searay too.
Never understood the point of a shower if you have a descent suit & heater. Just made my hands ache till they warmed up...... and the heater does about the same thing!
BTW, nice spread Big Mac!

jimmer2880
08-22-2005, 05:46 AM
I have a 300-H in my '95 PS190. Workes great now that I added the "Y" adapter.

BrianM
08-22-2005, 09:22 AM

Erk and others, Wakeside is running a 'special' ;) from the Wakesiderides board on heaters and showers. You will have to register on the site if you havent been before but it is a good resource also.

http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16298&hl=

erkoehler
08-22-2005, 09:39 AM
Erk and others, Wakeside is running a 'special' ;) from the Wakesiderides board on heaters and showers. You will have to register on the site if you havent been before but it is a good resource also.

http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16298&hl=

I have been over there before, thanks for showing me the thread I must have missed that one.

PeteS
08-22-2005, 11:08 AM
How about the 1/2 and 1/2 dry suits, with baggy tops and tight fitting neo bottoms? Any experience out there with that style?

In regards to the bag style, for which I'm leaning towards to this point, when you take a good fall, how much water enters through the neck and leg seals? Does it get to the point where all of your clothing underneath are wet from the falls? Just curious.

sizzler
08-22-2005, 11:15 AM
my barefoot dry-siut has double-neck seals ..and cuffs around the wrists and ankles to offer even greater water resistance.....not cheap...but good

http://www.hammond-drysuits.co.uk/view_category.asp?cat=34

my kids have got them as well....when they grow he just adds to the suit

Cary K.
08-22-2005, 11:21 AM
I have the Barefoot Int'l suit that is in Erk's link on the 1st page. I have had it for several years without any problems. Keeps me completely dry, even on hard falls. It has neoprene cinching cuffs over all of the seals to help prevent water entry and the seals getting nicked, etc... Best suit out there IMO.

Buy a decent suit, take care of the seals properly, and the payback will be way more than the initial cost. You can't put a price on being on a deserted lake anyway, and that is certainly what happens when the water gets cold.

bigmac
08-22-2005, 12:41 PM
How about the 1/2 and 1/2 dry suits, with baggy tops and tight fitting neo bottoms? Any experience out there with that style?

In regards to the bag style, for which I'm leaning towards to this point, when you take a good fall, how much water enters through the neck and leg seals? Does it get to the point where all of your clothing underneath are wet from the falls? Just curious.

The impression I get from questions I put on other boards as well as a google newsgroup search is that the baggy suits stay the driest. Next is the neoprene suits, and a distant last for no-leak is the two-piece suits.

AirJunky
08-22-2005, 12:56 PM
I have feet & velcro barefoot wrist cuffs in my StayDry suit & never get anything up there. Occasionally I'll take a header & get a little water in the neck seal. But it amounts to what looks like you've been sweating in the suit..... so not much at all. The neck seal takes a little getting used to wearing though. The tighter the better. And they work best when you shave. Some people have a hard time with that being around their neck. I don't wear it while I'm hangin around the boat but it doesn't bother me when I'm riding.

The biggest problem I've had with any of the neo suits, full or 1/2, is I can't bundle up underneath. Long johns, polar fleece or just some Levis under the suit will keep you a lot warmer in colder conditions. We did our AirSanta (http://airjunky.com/airsanta04/airsanta04.wmv)
on Lake Coeur d'Alene in Idaho on Dec. 24th. Air temp around 40, water temp in upper 30s. I rode for like 30 min., crashed 1/2 dozen times, peeled the suit off & was bone dry underneath...... even the phone & wallet. :D

PeteS
08-22-2005, 01:01 PM
The impression I get from questions I put on other boards as well as a google newsgroup search is that the baggy suits stay the driest. Next is the neoprene suits, and a distant last for no-leak is the two-piece suits.
That confirms what I thought regarding the bag-style suit. I'd guess that a two piece suit leaks significantly, but what about the suit below. It is a half and half, but they are connected (leakproof) in the middle. What would your thoughts be on something like this:

http://www.oneill.com/mens-products.php?sport=wake&categoryID=1&typeID=15&seriesID=41&id=129

AirJunky
08-22-2005, 01:06 PM
That confirms what I thought regarding the bag-style suit. I'd guess that a two piece suit leaks significantly, but what about the suit below. It is a half nad half, but they are connected (leakproof) in the middle. What would your thoughts be on something like this:
You'll get water up the ankles, especially your back foot when slalom skiing. You can get velcro ankle wraps to put around them that will certainly help.
Another issue you might see after a year or two is they tend to leak from the tapes seams. This is why we called them "semi-dry suits". Not a huge amount, and usually so slow you don't notice till you peel it off. Usually you wear them with just shorts on so it's not much of an issue....... till you peel it off in the cold air temps & get into something dry & warm. It's a PIA.

PeteS
08-22-2005, 01:12 PM
You'll get water up the ankles, especially your back foot when slalom skiing. You can get velcro ankle wraps to put around them that will certainly help.
Another issue you might see after a year or two is they tend to leak from the tapes seams. This is why we called them "semi-dry suits". Not a huge amount, and usually so slow you don't notice till you peel it off. Usually you wear them with just shorts on so it's not much of an issue....... till you peel it off in the cold air temps & get into something dry & warm. It's a PIA.
You got that right, Bill. I have an Ski Limited GOBI "dry" suit that I bought just 2 seasons ago, and seriously as I ease into the water now with it on, water enters as if there is no seals whatsoever. I wouldn't reccomened an all neo again to anyone, and now after listening to you, I'd most likly run into the same thing with the hybrid?

I'm a slalom skier, who runs the course late into the year and early spring. I fall a good amount when I'm getting after it, and I'd rather stay dry if possible. Does the neck seal bother you at all? How about iritation, I have relatively sensitve skin, and would be curious as to how it would be affected.

AirJunky
08-22-2005, 01:18 PM
How about iritation, I have relatively sensitve skin, and would be curious as to how it would be affected.
I don't have much of a problem with the rubber seals. Not sure if they would be an irritant or not. Most guys just don't care for the strangling feeling from the tight seal. You can prestretch them so their not so tight by storing it with a football or a 2 liter bottle stuffed in the seal for a day or two. Or there are ribs inside that you can cut with scissors to make them a lot larger (be very careful with scissors around these things).
But the bottom line is the tighter the seal on clean shaven skin, the better the seal will be.
And not goin out the front definitely helps! :o

erkoehler
08-23-2005, 11:21 PM

The ones that I posted a link to do not let any water in. I know people who have used them for footing, skiing, and wakeboarding.

Rockman
08-24-2005, 02:14 PM
You'll get water up the ankles, especially your back foot when slalom skiing. You can get velcro ankle wraps to put around them that will certainly help... It's a PIA.

I agree, the cheaper suits will allow some water to get in at the ankles.

The barefoot International suits that we have do not get any water in them. They actually are over-tight. We had to stretch ours ankles and wrists out a bit. These are really good for cold-cold weather.

The other suit I have is not as heavy-duty as the BFI. I did get some water in when I first used it. Instead of using the doubel velcro straps but then they sometimes prohibit you from getting your feet in high bindings. We have used plain athletic tape around the ankle and wrists and that works great.

Anyway, drysuits are PITAs but it really depends if you are slaloming, footing or wakeboarding and in what type of conditions.

We did a "Millenium" run on 1/9/00 in Lake Geneva, WI. The water temp was around 28 degrees at the time and the air was 22. The BFI suits kept us nice and toasty...as well as the hot water shower off the block at 160 degrees. :D

rodltg2
08-24-2005, 02:38 PM
neil pryde makes a great neoprene suit, great for slalom. the baggy creates too much drag for me and weights alot when you where clothes underneath

PeteS
08-24-2005, 02:52 PM
neil pryde makes a great neoprene suit, great for slalom. the baggy creates too much drag for me and weights alot when you where clothes underneath
That's the only thing that I've heard a few times, and is alarming. I slalom daily, and foot occasionally, and I'm concerned about all of the drag, both in the water and in the air, resulting from the bag style. Is it something that is complained about often? So your reccomending a neo suite, correct Rod?

rodltg2
08-24-2005, 03:01 PM
i prefer the neo suit , but its tough call because while having less drag and keeping you warm with out wearing clothes it does restrict your movement more.

PeteS
08-24-2005, 03:08 PM
i prefer the neo suit , but its tough call because while having less drag and keeping you warm with out wearing clothes it does restrict your movement more.
In my orginal post, I was leaning towards a half-and-half style suit. Baggy top, and neo bottom. I may be back at that point now after reading your info.

Someone stated that those get very wet on the inside, but I can imagine that's the case -- the technology is still the same on both the neo and the nylon, they are just mated.

bigmac
09-04-2005, 01:44 PM
I don't have much of a problem with the rubber seals. Not sure if they would be an irritant or not. Most guys just don't care for the strangling feeling from the tight seal. You can prestretch them so their not so tight by storing it with a football or a 2 liter bottle stuffed in the seal for a day or two. Or there are ribs inside that you can cut with scissors to make them a lot larger (be very careful with scissors around these things).
But the bottom line is the tighter the seal on clean shaven skin, the better the seal will be.
And not goin out the front definitely helps! :o

Heh..I've been playing around with that cheap Overton's baggy suit. It's completely dry, but what's the best way to keep from losing circulation to your feet, hands, and brain? I presume that carotid artery compression is not a specific goal of the seals?

bigmac
09-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Heh..I've been playing around with that cheap Overton's baggy suit. It's completely dry, but what's the best way to keep from losing circulation to your feet, hands, and brain? I presume that carotid artery compression is not a specific goal of the seals?

Never mind. I was out on the foil for about an hour with it early this morning. I didn't pass out once. ;)

I took some pretty good falls and that suit worked very well. Completely dry. A little chilly in just a T-shirt underneath, though.

6ballsisall
09-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Never mind. I was out on the foil for about an hour with it early this morning. I didn't pass out once. ;)

I took some pretty good falls and that suit worked very well. Completely dry. A little chilly in just a T-shirt underneath, though.

how late in the year are you planning to ride mac?

bigmac
09-05-2005, 01:57 PM
how late in the year are you planning to ride mac?

I'm guessing early to mid-October I'll winterize the boat and put it away. Same with my buddy and his X-10, but he also has a twin-engine Sea Doo that is apparently easy to drain and I pulled him on our lake a few days before Christmas 2003.

AirJunky
09-05-2005, 02:00 PM

Cool..... keep it up! The little lake I live on will be frozen but we'll ride on nearby Coeur d'Alene through the winter whenever we decide to. The baggy is the way to go if you are in very cold temps, ie; 40s, 30s or worse!

bigmac
09-18-2005, 11:27 PM

Heh...OK, I bought the $229 special baggy suit from Overton's. It looked pretty good - flat seams, taped, all that stuff. I wore it hydrofoiling the other day and it worked great. I was out Thursday and it leaked, spent a lot of time in the water today and it leaked again. It's on its way back to Overtons for a refund.

I called Wiley's and Adrenaline, but that Airjunky suit is 3-4 weeks out, they both told me, and there seemed to be a lot of confusion on the sizing. I opted for the Barefoot International suit that Erkoehler mentions above.

erkoehler
09-24-2005, 01:16 PM
Heh...OK, I bought the $229 special baggy suit from Overton's. It looked pretty good - flat seams, taped, all that stuff. I wore it hydrofoiling the other day and it worked great. I was out Thursday and it leaked, spent a lot of time in the water today and it leaked again. It's on its way back to Overtons for a refund.

I called Wiley's and Adrenaline, but that Airjunky suit is 3-4 weeks out, they both told me, and there seemed to be a lot of confusion on the sizing. I opted for the Barefoot International suit that Erkoehler mentions above.

Did you order it from barefootcentral????

bigmac
09-24-2005, 01:44 PM
Did you order it from barefootcentral????

Yes. They seem like nice people. They don't stock the suits - it's being shipped to me directly from the factory in Wisconsin.

erkoehler
09-24-2005, 02:40 PM
Great people, and you will probably get the suit in 1-2 days even with the ground shipping.

Are you now a BFC member? You can save 20-30% on all items if you sign up to be a member. Costs $50 a year.

jpattigr
09-24-2005, 02:51 PM
I also have a Neil Pryde Neo Drysuit, It keeps me very warm in all conditions and only leaks when I crash. It is very comfrtable to wear all the time in the water. :twocents:

erkoehler
09-24-2005, 03:37 PM
The BFC member price is $280.99 so that almost makes it worth the membership.

Holtrodj
09-24-2005, 06:20 PM
Do you wear your bearfoot suit under it when footin' then?

bigmac
09-27-2005, 12:21 PM
Great people, and you will probably get the suit in 1-2 days even with the ground shipping.

Are you now a BFC member? You can save 20-30% on all items if you sign up to be a member. Costs $50 a year.

Yep. It only took a couple of days. It's interesting to note that, as AJ mentioned, this suit was made by the same people that made the Overton's baggy that I sent back for leakage. It has the same tags, same stitching method, however this is substantially different material, as well as a different design. Looks like a great suit - I'm anxious to get it in the water.

AirJunky
09-27-2005, 01:15 PM
............ as AJ mentioned, this suit was made by the same people that made the Overton's baggy that I sent back for leakage. It has the same tags, same stitching method, however this is substantially different material, as well as a different design. Looks like a great suit - I'm anxious to get it in the water.
Yep, small number of people making suits these days. Most are are from the same Oregon factory, same seals, slightly different patterns, just relabeled. In my own experience, there is only 2 different materials used for the suit itself, one a bit lighter duty, the other heavier & stiffer & more durable. Wiley's & Adrenaline Watersports will build your suit to your specs if you ask. And prices have been very reasonable, >$400, for a custom suit.

BuoyChaser
09-27-2005, 01:26 PM
check out Jet Pilot's Alpha & Capsule suits, they're made from neoprene material and are waterproof...they're not as bulky as the "Bag Style" drysuits and certainly provide more flexibility and they're CHEAPER in comparison and the arm/ankle/neck seals aren't so tight and last longer...they've been making/using them for surfers for awhile now http://www.jetpilot.com/

bigmac
09-30-2005, 06:17 PM

Erk, that's the suit I ended up getting. I went foiling in it this afternoon and it works great. The quality of construction is well above that of its Overton's $229 counterpart.

My only complaint is that the wrist and ankle seals are thicker and a harder to slide in and out of. I ended up using a little Boot Butter, which worked great. It has neoprene cuffs with straps at the wrist and ankles that cover the latex seals. Not important for foiling, but I can see how they could work well for skiing.

AirJunky
09-30-2005, 06:58 PM
........... It has neoprene cuffs with straps at the wrist and ankles that cover the latex seals. Not important for foiling, but I can see how they could work well for skiing.
I like them on the wrists..... put the suit on, then the gloves, then cinch up the cuffs outside the gloves. Your not gonna get ANY water up your sleeves, guarenteed!

bigmac
10-02-2005, 09:27 AM
Say Erk....one thing to be aware of on that Barefoot International dry suit....they assume that you are going to use it for barefooting, so there is only a 1 year warranty on the suit, and no warranty at all on the seals because of the assumed "increased stress" on the suit.

It's a really well-made suit, although a little bit painful to put on and take off because of the seals. They really aren't any tighter than others IMHO, but they are thicker and not as distendable. One needs to lube up one's wrists and ankles a little bit with something like Seal Tech or Seal Saver to make the donning process easier. The boot butter or other detergent lubes doesn't work well because it drys out too fast - might help in putting it on, but makes getting it off that much harder.

scott88prostar
10-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Big Mac you can cut those seals back a little ...stick a pop can in the seals when your not using it to stretch em...that will help loosen it up with out cutting it back..a buddy uses baby powder to get in...I just use soap...its not hard to replace the ankle and wrist seals....I need to cut mine way back to fit over the cast...ordered replacement ankle seal then on tuesday I broke my leg going for one ball on Wednesday...six weeks :eek: normally we ski till ice.... get yourself a hood and booties for the great white north.

erkoehler
10-12-2005, 07:34 PM
I just ordered the barefoot international dry suit and dry socks to go with it from www.barefootcentral.com

sizzler
10-13-2005, 03:36 AM
i use these.........http://www.hammond-drysuits.co.uk/home.asp

great durability...i still have my suit from 1990 and use it loads during the winter.......me,the missus and the kids are a walking advertisment

erkoehler
10-13-2005, 03:41 AM
:) Those prices don't seem to bad either! I bet the shipping to the states would be killer though. :eek:

sizzler
10-13-2005, 03:55 AM
thats the prob......i've got some friends holidaying in florida...just had barefoot central send a ton of stuff to their hotel to bring home for me :dance:

MarkP
10-20-2005, 08:42 AM
Well,

I finally got up off of my wallet and ordered a dry suit. :banana: Cant wait to try it. From what I hear/read on this thread, Iím goin to like it.. Couldnít help myself and went ahead and paid for the expedited shipping too. I couldnít see the good in being WET this weekend knowing a dry suit was on the way..

Cary K.
10-20-2005, 09:06 AM
I didn't read back through here to see if it was mentioned, but it is worth repeating.

Everyone that has a suit or has ordered a suit; Get some Seal Saver silicone and use it religiously. Your suit will last forever, and it will be easier to get on/off.

I also have the contact info for seal replacements for the BFI suits. Most places won't mess with BFI suits, so you need to go back to the mfg for replacements. Their customer service, prices, and turnaround times are great though. Hopefully you will never need it :)

MarkP
10-20-2005, 09:32 AM
"Seal Saver" ??

Do you have a link??

Iím giving the Bare Ultra Dry a shot. Hope itís a good one cause its on the way??

Cary K.
10-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Here is a link to the product itself. I know Overtons carries it too, but maybe you can find it locally at board or dive shop. Although I don't buy gear there, only general stuff, Overton's Headquarters is my "local" shop.

Here is also another post with lots of useful info from TMC member RobertT:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/259611.html?1129310270

I think the Bare and the BFI are the two most recommended suits out there.

MarkP
10-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Thanks Cary..

Cary K.
10-20-2005, 10:34 AM
No problem. But here is the link I forgot to add from my first sentence:

http://www.mcnett.com/page.cfm?pageID=536

MarkP
10-21-2005, 09:45 AM
Ok man,

Iím just crawlin out of my skin waiting for this UPS guy. Both the dry suit and my new DSL modem are ďon the truck for local deliveryď..

Cant wait to see me later today, walkin around the house with the new dry suit on tryin to hook up the new modem..

Dam, I got to get out more

MarkP
10-21-2005, 03:19 PM
Well,

I like it! It fits, and it came with the ďseal saverĒ and some kind of zipper stuff.. Good thing skiing is more important to me than circulation in my hands feet and head..:purplaugh

erkoehler
10-21-2005, 03:23 PM
I got alittle piece of advice from Rockman:

"Put pop cans in the wrist and ankle seals to stretch them out slightly."

It won't stretch them so much that they will leak, but it will make them oh so much more comfortable! :D

BuoyChaser
10-21-2005, 03:25 PM
also to slip your feet/hands in easier, put plastic grocery bags on first then pull them through the seals and unpeel the bags...

works great, especially when you put the bag over your head!!!JUST KIDDIN', don't try that at home!!!

AirJunky
10-21-2005, 03:28 PM
Well,

I like it! It fits, and it came with the ďseal saverĒ and some kind of zipper stuff.. Good thing skiing is more important to me than circulation in my hands feet and head..:purplaugh

Circulation better be a little important to ya..... your gonna get cold as &%(#$ without it!
Stretch those seals out so their more comfortable. They don't have to be strangling you to seal the water out.

MarkP
10-21-2005, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the tip erk. I may give it go like it is. Iím just 5í11 and 170, so it may work out like it is for now. I probably wont get out but 2/3 times this year.

Now, when spring hits, I expect to be bulked way up to about 178. So I may need to use that tip then..;)

MarkP
10-21-2005, 03:32 PM
Circulation better be a little important to ya..... your gonna get cold as &%(#$ without it!
Stretch those seals out so their more comfortable. They don't have to be strangling you to seal the water out.
Its actually not that bad.. (I was being dramatic).. As a mater of fact, I think its good ..

MarkP
10-21-2005, 03:33 PM
also to slip your feet/hands in easier, put plastic grocery bags on first then pull them through the seals and unpeel the bags...

works great, especially when you put the bag over your head!!!JUST KIDDIN', don't try that at home!!!LOL!!!

Good tips!!

EDIT:<Disclaimer: I wasnít post hoin. I just saw the tips one at a time>

ski_king
10-21-2005, 03:39 PM
Ok man,

Iím just crawlin out of my skin waiting for this UPS guy. Both the dry suit and my new DSL modem are ďon the truck for local deliveryď..

Mark, why are you giving up on cable? Price?

erkoehler
10-21-2005, 03:40 PM
Just wait until your sitting in the boat wearing it for the first time and you can't figure out why you keep catching a toe when you try barefooting.

Feet are numb and u can't point the toes up!

MarkP
10-21-2005, 03:45 PM
Mark, why are you giving up on cable? Price?
I thought I would give the DSL a try because they tell me it is faster, cheaper, and they are sending /sent me a modem with the wireless router built in.. I do love the cable, but what the heck.. Maybe Iíll love the DSL??

AirJunky
10-21-2005, 03:53 PM
I thought I would give the DSL a try because they tell me it is faster, cheaper, and they are sending /sent me a modem with the wireless router built in.. I do love the cable, but what the heck.. Maybe Iíll love the DSL??

Just to continue the threadjack......... I went the other way. Used DSL for 4 yrs. Then dumped the DSL & the phone line for cable & VOIP. No way I'd go back....performance & price are way better! Definitely the way of the future!

MarkP
10-21-2005, 04:26 PM
They both came today on the brown truck.. (modem and dry suit) The guy tried to drive away with only one box on my porch..

I stopped him and he went back in his truck to get the dry suit..

30 day free trial? Iím not even having the cable shut off.. LOL I may end up with both..

east tx skier
10-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Mark, if you end up liking DSL (it's been fast enough for me). Lose the cable and go with a dish. I've been an extremely satisfied Dish Network customer for 6 years and counting (subscribe to every channel known to man).

PointTaken
10-21-2005, 04:54 PM
Mark, if you end up liking DSL (it's been fast enough for me). Lose the cable and go with a dish. I've been an extremely satisfied Dish Network customer for 6 years and counting (subscribe to every channel known to man).
Agree with East on that Dish is nice we've had it for years, BUT, we do lose the signal alot during storms and the bad part about that is when you have small kids, when it rains they want to come inside and watch TV. Only downside, but a big enough one for us that will dump dish as soon as we move.

MarkP
10-23-2005, 12:47 PM
Ok, after today I can offer one little bit of advice on the dry suit topic. BUY ONE!!:headbang:

mitch
10-24-2005, 09:52 AM
Agree with East on that Dish is nice we've had it for years, BUT, we do lose the signal alot during storms and the bad part about that is when you have small kids, when it rains they want to come inside and watch TV. Only downside, but a big enough one for us that will dump dish as soon as we move.

I lose DTV signal very rarely during storms, only when the blackest cloud is right above us. Advice, get Tivo, that way when you do lose the signal, you've got 40 or 80 hours of programming just waiting for you.

mitch
10-24-2005, 09:53 AM
Ok, after today I can offer one little bit of advice on the dry suit topic. BUY ONE!!:headbang:

They are the best. Rode in 45 degree air this weekend and the only think that was cold.....very cold were my hands. :toast:

BuoyChaser
10-24-2005, 10:44 AM
They are the best. Rode in 45 degree air this weekend and the only think that was cold.....very cold were my hands. :toast:

a lot of my buddies keep a cooler filled with hot water to warm hands/feet between sets...

heard that malibu is now offering HEATED SEATS, is this true???i though MC was always first...also a heated floor mat and steering wheel would be great!!! check it out http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/255754.html?1128973052

the company that makes the heated seat for Malibu is Check Corp. http://www.checkcorp.com/seat_heater/specialized_apps_marine.asp

CHECK SEAT HEATERS ARE NOW AVAILABLE FOR MARINE APPLICATIONS

The comfort and pleasure of a heated seat is now available for boaters. A Seat Heater from the Check Corporation quickly provides comforting warmth through the seat's cushion on those cool damp mornings or anytime the temperature drops. Check Corporation seat heaters are thoroughly tested and manufactured to meet strict government and vehicle manufacturer standards for safety, durability and performance.

The thin peel and stick seat heater elements fit under the seat cover without detection and all wiring and hardware is installed out of sight.

The waterproof, illuminated on-off switch can be installed for easy access or hidden from view. Once the desired temperature is reached, the seat heater can be turned off. The seat heater also has an automatic thermostat shut off for safety.

The Check seat heater kits are available for Malibu Ski Boats and many other types of boats. Each seat heater is individually fused and safety wired into the boat's electrical system.

Heats up in seconds
Automatic temperature control
Low power consumption, 1.5 amps
Built durable and tested safe
Backed by a 3 year / 36,000 Miles limited warranty

ski_king
10-24-2005, 10:54 AM
I am not sure I like the idea of being soaking wet and sitting on an electrical heated seat. :eek3:

Cary K.
10-24-2005, 11:07 AM
I am planning on installing at least one of these after the first of the year. I will take pics and give details as to how it works out. My buddy has this on his Bu and I have wanted one since the first time I used it. Not only is it great when it is cold out, but if I ride alot in the same day, my lower back starts to hurt and the heat does wonders for it.

BuoyChaser
10-24-2005, 11:32 AM
hate to ruin my BRAND NEW '05 interior, but would love to have a factory install of these in both the passenger and driver's seat...if these were in the driver's seat, every guy's wife on here would have their wives in the boat as much as they want to ski!!!

SHOULD START A NEW THREAD - Heated Seats!!!

AirJunky
10-24-2005, 11:41 AM
.......................heard that malibu is now offering HEATED SEATS, is this true???i though MC was always first...also a heated floor mat and steering wheel would be great!!! check it out http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/255754.html?1128973052

Hot Johnsons have been available for any boat for years. It's a thin pad that sits on your seat & has hot water plumbed thru it. I've only seen a few guys open the upholstry up & install the pad underneath. They always made me feel like I'd just wet my pants.
We skied with a guy a few years ago that had them on Nautique. They were a few years old & had begun to leak.

erkoehler
10-24-2005, 11:49 AM
I will pass on the heated seats.....give them some time to work the kinks/connections out.

MarkP
11-13-2005, 12:15 AM
Hey,

I got a lot out of this thread. Thanks!! Actually my third got a lot out of this thread too, (like my old Scuba suit)

erkoehler
11-13-2005, 12:56 AM
Hey,

I got a lot out of this thread. Thanks!! Actually my third got a lot out of this thread too, (like my old Scuba suit)

Is that like a semi dry suit that you gave him? What was the water temp?

bigmac
11-13-2005, 08:00 AM
Is that like a semi dry suit that you gave him? What was the water temp?

Looked like some Farmer Johns. I've spent some time under the ice in those things. Damn cold.

MarkP
11-13-2005, 09:07 AM
Thatís what they are bigmac.

That shot was from a couple weeks ago. Didnít really pay attention to the water temps. That was the first time out with the new dry suit. I ended up buying the Bare Ultra Dry at Grizzlys water sports and it rocks!!

bigmac
11-13-2005, 09:21 AM
Thatís what they are bigmac.

That shot was from a couple weeks ago. Didnít really pay attention to the water temps. That was the first time out with the new dry suit. I ended up buying the Bare Ultra Dry at Grizzlys water sports and it rocks!!

Polar Fleece...Great stuff under a dry suit. I also got some latex booties and wear wool socks under them (cut the wool socks down to the ankle). It usually (but not always) keeps the feet dry, depending on how much care you take in getting them over the ankle seals. I also have a pair of Chota gloves, which aren't dry, but very warm. They're pre-curved, but even so they're thick enough that you can get a little arm pump on long or vigorous rides. That may get better as they wear.

I believe that you could have one of suit fabricators add a low pressure valve and an exhaust valve if you wanted to scuba dive in the thing.

MarkP
11-13-2005, 09:33 AM
The fleece, the booties, better gloves and better hood are next for sure. Still a big, no huge improvement over that diver. No big rush on that other stuff right now, (my season ended yesterday).

erkoehler
11-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Polar Fleece...Great stuff under a dry suit. I also got some latex booties and wear wool socks under them (cut the wool socks down to the ankle). It usually (but not always) keeps the feet dry, depending on how much care you take in getting them over the ankle seals. I also have a pair of Chota gloves, which aren't dry, but very warm. They're pre-curved, but even so they're thick enough that you can get a little arm pump on long or vigorous rides. That may get better as they wear.

I believe that you could have one of suit fabricators add a low pressure valve and an exhaust valve if you wanted to scuba dive in the thing.

I have those same gloves, and they sure are THICK, and a pain to get a feel for the rope. Oh, and don't try to handle anything with them on. However, they sure are warm!!!!!

BuoyChaser
11-13-2005, 07:52 PM
Hey,

is that the Ohio River you're skiin' on???use to love my days runnin' the river, some great conditions 24-7!!!

AirJunky
11-13-2005, 09:35 PM

Same gloves here too. Usually only get the arm pump the first ride or two with them though.
I liked the polar fleece too until I figured out that where I was slipping so badly. Sitting down, I was sliding all over the place inside the suit. Wearing something like Levis I didn't have nearly as much movement, which is absolutely necessary on the Sky Ski. The attached feet on the Wiley's suit is the best. Just shed my shoes & jacket & jump in the suit, socks, Levis & all. 1/2 the time I still have my wallet & car keys in my pocket.

erkoehler
11-14-2005, 12:30 AM
Airjunky,

Just for my information, are the suits with that attached feet still using the rubber dry socks that fit tightly over your feet? I know I have a terrible time getting my seals to match up so I stay 100% dry with the non-footed suit and the dry socks.

bigmac
11-14-2005, 08:27 AM
I bought some of the glue used for repairing the latex seals, and I briefly considered gluing and taping the dry socks to the ankle seals, but the seals on that BFI suit are thick enough that I perceive difficulties in getting into the feet through them if the feet were attached.

Anyway, terminal winterizing is a must here, and timing can be problematic. We winterize in mid-to-late October....later than that in order to catch the odd skiing day in November/December and you risk the occasional early freeze.

I'd be more inclined to go the attached-foot route if I were doing a lot of (or ANY) dead-winter riding, but it just doesn't happen here. At the time a Minnesotan/Wisconsonian/UP Michigander HAS to winterize his/her boat, the water temps are still 40-45 degrees and water in the booties just isn't a big deal. It remains to be seen if I have to re-think that when I (presumably) start riding in April/May after the ice goes off (April 21st +/- 5 days).

Barefoot Central promotes their latex dry socks as being great for barefooting - put them on over some heavy socks and barefoot away, they say. In my admittedly brief experience, slipping the dry socks on over some cut-down wool socks (will insulate even if wet) is pretty simple.

Don't get me wrong - I really liked the suits from Wiley/Adrenaline. But at both of those places there was a 3-4 week wait, and I just didn't want to wait. Additionally, at both places there was confusion on the sizing. They would custom make them, but neither of the people I talked to were clear on how to measure. They wanted to go by weight and height, I wanted to go by inseam, chest and waist size.

Anyway, the suit's hanging up, zipper lubed and open and all the seals liberally sprayed with 303 Protectant. The only boat on the lake that's not stored is Leo's SeaDoo Speedster. That's a scary little boat - it has no wake, but l have trouble visualizing hydrofoiling behind it. If we do indeed get it out and go, I'll be sure to report back here. It might be interesting...

MarkP
11-14-2005, 08:41 AM
is that the Ohio River you're skiin' on???use to love my days runnin' the river, some great conditions 24-7!!!
BC

That is the Ohio. That spot, (at the mouth of the Beaver River) is about 20 min from my house. Your right, even though itís a wide pool you can find miles of good water, often. The guy I alternate boats with, keeps his Supra at the first marina on the Beaver, just where it meets the Ohio. Its not my favorite spot but, cant beat beet the drive time. I usually bring my boat to Shenango Lake or up on the Allegheny River.

Erk I think your setup would be best, because you can just throw away the socks as your bindings tear them up.

areamike
12-02-2005, 11:42 AM
Hey all. I have been following this thread a little and been looking to buy a good drysuit mainly for Barefooting and Slalom.

Well, here's what I ordered.
http://store.barefootcentral.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=267

I was going to buy the Barefoot International Drysuit, but after careful consideration and talking to the owners of Barefootcentral, I decided on the Ocean Rodeo Drysuit.

I'll let you all know how it does.

Thanks for the topic.

rodltg2
12-02-2005, 12:34 PM
thats a great price.