PDA

View Full Version : Well... finally made the plunge - Off the swim platform and..

bjames
05-22-2012, 02:40 PM
And onto the concrete below :eek:

We just loaded the boat back onto the trailer at the launch and were covering it up. It was fairly windy, so the cover keeped blowing around like a parachute. My wife was on the port side of the boat working the sides of the cover and I was standing on the swim platform working the back. Well I stepped towards the starboard ecorner and nothing was there... I went down and my left leg hit the platform rotating me into a back roll. From the height of the swim deck on my X25, I hit the concrete with my back (tucked position) then head. My wife was pretty concerned about the possibility of a concussion. I almost blacked out shortly after. A few minutes after the fall, my right ear started to sound like a tunnel and my sight was getting grainy (almost spotty) and I got very thirsty. After about 5 minutes that all cleared up. Funny thing is, I was more concerned about how embarrased I felt than how I felf physically:o. Today I am sore all over (left leg, right foot, both elbows badbly cut and bruised, entire butt bruised, back, neck and shoulders extreamly stiff and sore. I felt like I was hit by a car:o

Lessons Learned... BE VERY CAREFULL WHEN WORKING ON THE PLATFORM. This is the first time this is ever happed since I owned boats with swim platforms (5 years) as I have always considered myself as being carefull.

Luckily I did not have a concussion or any broken bones, that I am aware of. My fall could have ben a lot worse.:)

LittleFuss
05-22-2012, 02:49 PM
Damn BJ glad your are recovering...the vision problems and hearing could indicate a mild concussion...web MD is a beast...New rule now walking on platform when not in water...I would rather be safe...of course I have a 190 and the tie downs are easier to reach...

BrianT
05-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Holy cow dude!!!!! Glad to hear it didn't end your season or worse!

O2BESOHUGE
05-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Hope You Are Ok! Thats A Pretty Big Fall!

JimN
05-22-2012, 03:50 PM
And onto the concrete below :eek:

We just loaded the boat back onto the trailer at the launch and were covering it up. It was fairly windy, so the cover keeped blowing around like a parachute. My wife was on the port side of the boat working the sides of the cover and I was standing on the swim platform working the back. Well I stepped towards the starboard ecorner and nothing was there... I went down and my left leg hit the platform rotating me into a back roll. From the height of the swim deck on my X25, I hit the concrete with my back (tucked position) then head. My wife was pretty concerned about the possibility of a concussion. I almost blacked out shortly after. A few minutes after the fall, my right ear started to sound like a tunnel and my sight was getting grainy (almost spotty) and I got very thirsty. After about 5 minutes that all cleared up. Funny thing is, I was more concerned about how embarrased I felt than how I felf physically:o. Today I am sore all over (left leg, right foot, both elbows badbly cut and bruised, entire butt bruised, back, neck and shoulders extreamly stiff and sore. I felt like I was hit by a car:o

Lessons Learned... BE VERY CAREFULL WHEN WORKING ON THE PLATFORM. This is the first time this is ever happed since I owned boats with swim platforms (5 years) as I have always considered myself as being carefull.

Luckily I did not have a concussion or any broken bones, that I am aware of. My fall could have ben a lot worse.:)

I would get checked out for concussion- if your eyesight and hearing were affected, I would bet you got one, especially if you almost passed out. If anything like this happens again, have someone look at your pupils- if one is dilated more than the other, it's time to get help.

mikeg205
05-22-2012, 04:06 PM
^^+1 I would get checked...for any residual symptoms you may not be aware of ..

JimN
05-22-2012, 04:38 PM
BTW- you can't swim in concrete that has already set. Kudos for trying, though.:D

thatsmrmastercraft
05-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Last Memorial Day I took a spill and landed in a similar position on my right shoulder blade and neck (head tucked). Shortly afterward I started having pain in my right arm. Ended up needing surgery on several vertebrae in my neck to remove bone spurs which formed from the impact. I went to the doctor shortly after the spill. If you haven't gone........you should.

bjames
05-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Thanks guys... No fluid discharging from ears or nose, pupils were good and large bump on the head. If swelling dosent/pain doesnt subside, I will go see the doc. :)

JohnE
05-22-2012, 09:23 PM
You should go see a dr. But all the bumps and bruises mean you took the hit to a lot of places, instead of one place (like your head) absorbing the impact. You are fortunate if you come out relatively unscathed. Glad to hear it.

AZX9
05-23-2012, 01:18 AM
I jumped off the platform of my first boat about ten years ago and twisted my ankle. The guys about twenty feet away wiping down their boat heard the snap. I still have a large bulge on the side of my ankle from where the tendons healed back. It healed on its own without any cast. I'll probably be a gimp when I get older though.

scott023
05-23-2012, 01:37 AM
That's horrible to hear. Hope you get better quickly.

nkorep2
05-23-2012, 01:56 AM
You actually probably did get a concussion, the newest research is pretty scary, its super easy to damage your brain, hitting your head on concrete from a fall like that most definitely caused damage. You may not have noticed significant side effects, but do be careful and observant.

hragsarkissian
05-23-2012, 04:00 AM
You should definitely go see a doctor and make sure everything is ok...better safe than sorry.

broncotw
05-23-2012, 11:58 AM
I would go see a doctor! The recent research on concussions and long term effects is pretty sobering.... The worst thing that can happen is you spend an hour in the doctor's office.... It's good peace of mind knowing all is well....

dobber
05-23-2012, 10:55 PM
I'd go see doctor. My wife had a concussion last July and she still is not driving.

DooSPX
05-23-2012, 10:59 PM
I can agree with going to the doctor... My mom had bleeding on the brain from a slight bump on the head and it didn't show up till almost a month later. She was in the trama for 48 hours then in ICU for a week, then a regular room for another 5 days before she could home.... it was very scary, I have to say.