PDA

View Full Version : For Sale '75 M/C where to look for damage

Calif_BobPerry
08-20-2005, 01:53 PM
There is a 1975 Mastercraft that came up for sale near my house and he says it needs some work.He's asking $2000.00

What I would like to know,when checking out an older boat what are some of the things you look for besides the the engine and transmission as in age damage or just neglect.If the stringers are fiber glassed how do you tell if there's rot.Any ideas would be so helpful.

I know from past experiences be a boat,car, house etc. and even women if you find a few problems caused by neglect your going to find more.

Well he just returned my email and said it needs a starter and battery and the best thing he said is I don't know to much about boats...

I'll snap some pictures.....Thanks

erkoehler
08-20-2005, 01:55 PM
I am awaiting your pics. Jeremy79 would be the guy to talk to about this, but he is getting married today, so I don't think he'll be around. He probably won't be back until a week or so from now.

Calif_BobPerry
08-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Here are some pictures he sent me,I'll get better ones this afternoon

MarkP
08-20-2005, 02:43 PM
Did you blue book it?? I didnít but I donít think he is going to get 2 for it. It does look like a worthwhile project though

erkoehler
08-20-2005, 02:51 PM
Low Retail Average Retail

$2,030 $2,440

TOTAL PRICE $2,030 $2,440

MarkP
08-20-2005, 03:09 PM
I say work him for a better price but WDIK.. As far as rotten wood unless he lets you dismantle the floor its going to be hard to tell. Obviously look for soft spots in the floor. From the looks of the boat you will probably find them.

erkoehler
08-20-2005, 03:12 PM
2k appears to be high right off the bat. I wouldn't pay that much. There was a S&S that just sold in good condition in my area for around 4. That one definetly appears to need some TLC.

Calif_BobPerry
08-20-2005, 04:39 PM
I'm going to go look at it around 4pm pst,when I spoke with him he knows absolutly nothing about boats(he got the price $2000 out of the Kelly Blue Book).
Now get this,he owns a Hauling business(cleans backyards,houses,garages etc.) the boat was in this womans garage covered with.....I guess garage junk. He asked her if she wanted him to take that away to she no no it was my husbands and the kids learned to ski on it and so on.About two months later she called him to clean up the side of her house(he said about a half a truck load)she gave him the boat instead of cash...
So I think I have a good chance of talking him way down and maybe I can throw in one of my old dirt bikes.........so do you guys think if I can get it for 1000 to 1200 it would be worth it???
I don't want to invest much just clean it up and sell it,after my prop shaft slid back on our "81 S&S I decided(with full wife approvel I'll have you know) to just start our semi restoration instead of waiting till the end of Sept..\
After I look at it closer I tell you more and let you guys help me decide if its worth it

Thanks Again

6ballsisall
08-20-2005, 04:43 PM
I'm going to go look at it around 4pm pst,when I spoke with him he knows absolutly nothing about boats(he got the price $2000 out of the Kelly Blue Book).
Now get this,he owns a Hauling business(cleans backyards,houses,garages etc.) the boat was in this womans garage covered with.....I guess garage junk. He asked her if she wanted him to take that away to she no no it was my husbands and the kids learned to ski on it and so on.About two months later she called him to clean up the side of her house(he said about a half a truck load)she gave him the boat instead of cash...
So I think I have a good chance of talking him way down and maybe I can throw in one of my old dirt bikes.........so do you guys think if I can get it for 1000 to 1200 it would be worth it???
I don't want to invest much just clean it up and sell it,after my prop shaft slid back on our "81 S&S I decided(with full wife approvel I'll have you know) to just start our semi restoration instead of waiting till the end of Sept..\
After I look at it closer I tell you more and let you guys help me decide if its worth it

Thanks Again

I think $1k would be top amount I'd pay. Your going to put more money in a boat then you think if you want to flip it. I did this, set your budget by researching costs and then add an additional 50% and thats what you are likely to spend.

It would be a sweet boat for a collector but unless you can sell it for around $3-4k I believe it will be a difficult sale based on age. If you can keep the price point down there and it is a clean used boat it will make a great first time ski boat for someone

Calif_BobPerry
08-20-2005, 05:00 PM
I think $1k would be top amount I'd pay. Your going to put more money in a boat then you think if you want to flip it. I did this, set your budget by researching costs and then add an additional 50% and thats what you are likely to spend.

It would be a sweet boat for a collector but unless you can sell it for around $3-4k I believe it will be a difficult sale based on age. If you can keep the price point down there and it is a clean used boat it will make a great first time ski boat for someone

You are ever so right now that I think about it more.Were going to have our hands full redoing our "81 as it is.The time spent to make maybe $500 on a quick turn around is'nt worth the time and its a gamble at that.
We want to do our "81 right and taking the focus off this boat for another project ......no......Hey Thanks for the wake up call....but ya know my son and I are going to go look at it anyway ...we will let ya know how it looks :smile:

erkoehler
08-20-2005, 05:04 PM
If he truly knows nothing about the boat, point out as much as possible that is wrong with it and make it seems really bad. Then, low ball the price! Maybe you can steal it, price wise?

H20skeefreek
08-20-2005, 06:52 PM
find a bunch wrong with it, and see if he'll take $500 bucks. at the very least you can use it for parts, or part it out. If it's got a footrest, i'll buy it from you. If the motor runs, it could be worth that by itself.

I think someone on here is looking for a windsheild of that vintage.

Jim@BAWS
08-20-2005, 08:54 PM
Since no bank in the world would loan a penny on this boat the NADA
value is worthless. Yes it is a starting point. We (BAWS) sold a 72 last year refurbished for almost $6500. With that said...it is a Mastercraft
It is worth 5k if it floats. Older Mastercrafts are like older Boston Whalers
They are tough to put a value on At $2000 you will not get burned
Offer $1500 and if you get it just know you got a deal.
Not trying to say don't get the best deal possible but $2000 is a deal

The Older MC's had a wooden inliner surrounded by hand laid fiberglass.
Check the inner part of the boat. All motor mounts should be tight if they are not that means rot in the stringers

Jim@BAWS

Calif_BobPerry
08-20-2005, 11:56 PM
Since no bank in the world would loan a penny on this boat the NADA
value is worthless. Yes it is a starting point. We (BAWS) sold a 72 last year refurbished for almost $6500. With that said...it is a Mastercraft
It is worth 5k if it floats. Older Mastercrafts are like older Boston Whalers
They are tough to put a value on At $2000 you will not get burned
Offer $1500 and if you get it just know you got a deal.
Not trying to say don't get the best deal possible but $2000 is a deal

The Older MC's had a wooden inliner surrounded by hand laid fiberglass.
Check the inner part of the boat. All motor mounts should be tight if they are not that means rot in the stringers

Jim@BAWS

Thanks for your input,were going to look at it tomarrow morning.
Maybe you can answered my unanswered question.We bought our "81 S & S in 2001 for $5000 with only 377hrs for the original owner and I thought that was a great price.He always had it serviced(we have the reciepts) but kinda neglected it cosmetically.A few weeks ago we were cruising along and the boat started to shake really bad we slowed down it went away a few minutes later K-Bang engine ran boat did'nt.you can see the pictures of what happened under the "how old is my s&s thread.No problem we are just going to start our interior restoration a month early.
My real question for you is I think between 81 and 83 you could order you M/C with the wrap around or squared (like ours) windshield. There are two pictures of our boat(again under the how old is our s&s thread)
Every "81 we have seen has a two piece dash fiber glass and also there engine cover is tapered on the top and has a single vent in the rear of the cover.Ours is a one piece Padded dash and if you at the picture (engine cover is upside down on the transom) ours is box shaped and ther are two vents on the rear of the cover. Were there optional dashboards you could order or even engine covers.I have no idea and maybe you have the answer.

Jim@BAWS
08-21-2005, 10:11 AM
Calif BOB,

Sorry I do not have a answer for you because I do not see a question.
There seems to be a mix from MasterCraft as to what was put into
boats in the early 80's rounded windshields of straight ones.
I have always thought there was a distinct break between 80 and 81
or 81 and 82. I do know that there are no more parts available from
MC for those years. The only thing avail from MC for those years is
interior skins and only in a single base color.

What happened to your 83 motor?

Jim@BAWS