PDA

View Full Version : Input on Forearm Tendon Injury

epnault
05-22-2012, 12:45 PM
I will try to keep this as short as possible. Well my dream finally came true this past winter and we got a place on a lake. On May 12 the lake was about right to do my first slalom ski run and my neighbor, whom I met as a reference from the people that sold us the place, asked if we could use his boat. He picked me up and I was first to go. (I have only skied with my wife driving my X9). He asked, "How does your wife pull you?" I didn't have an answer and she was at work. Keep in mind I am not an average sized slalom skier at 6'1" 235 but I love it and do OK. I answered "I think she just hits it all the way." Well he has a much smaller and lighter boat (19' Moomba) and when he hit it I tried to hold on and get up but it ripped the handle out of my hands violently. I didn't notice I was injured and he kept trying for about 5 times to get me up. Then about 6 hours later the pain came.

I let it rest for a week and bought those gloves with the dowells in them thinking it would help and grabbed my wife and my boat the following Saturday. Too late, the damage is done and I still couldn't get up. Take a look at my forearm photo with bruising.

Guys, I know I can't be the only guy this has happend to so how long is it going to take to heal something like this and what type of therapy should I be doing. It is making me sick that I can't ski right now. I am looking forward to the input.

SilviaMan
05-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Haven't had an injury just like yours, but I developed golfers elbow last year and it seemed to take forever to heal up fully. I want to say it took me longer than 4 weeks to feel a bit better and longer than that to fully heal.
I'm thinking your gonna be hurting a while.
Sorry to hear about your injury!

mzimme
05-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Sounds like good reason to perfect 1 handed skiing!

aquaman
05-22-2012, 01:26 PM
I would let it heal.....then in a few weeks...... try coming up a bit slower, not full power. :)

If that does not work, go to a larger ski.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Tendons take extremely long to heal as there is no blood supply. Take that forearm to your doctor and get a professional opinion. I partially tore the tendon in my right elbow (sounded kink of like velcro coming apart) and it took way too long to heal.

Kyle
05-22-2012, 01:41 PM
I tore up my elbow skiing one year and skied through it. It hurt like a SOB but I was skiing great. After the season it took me right at 9 months to heal.

My advice would be to stop skiing until it quits hurting and then try again.

SilviaMan
05-22-2012, 01:59 PM
just out of curiosity are you starting single ski or starting double and kicking one?
I'm also a bigger guy and when deep water starting on one ski it can be "fun" to get up. You may want to think about rigging up a kick ski, way easier to get out of the water.

epnault
05-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Thanks for all the posts guys. I appreciate it.

Since I got my MasterCraft a few years ago, I have always deep water started with 1 ski. Last year I went from a comp-free ride to the HO Coefficient X. In this transition I also switched to double boots last season too. I wonder if I should put my toe plate back on and try that after I feel better.

I like the idea of using a kick ski too, it has been so long and had not thought about that. That would be a good way to get back on the water sooner.

Hammer
05-22-2012, 02:15 PM
I'm 6'3 and 250lbs. Come up in double boots. Size is not the issue. The different pull that wasn't expected is the culprit. And not letting go. My 2 cents is go see the doc! I am currently recovering from rotator cuff repair and it sucks. Don't put it off. I did and now my season is shot.

russlars
05-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Go see your MD to get an opinion that has some substance. The bruising would seem to indicate that you have some torn muscles or tendons. If nothing is damaged too bad some physical therapy can really speed the healing time and get you back on the water quicker.

02ProstarSammyD
05-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Injury bug must be going around. I demolished my back last week and still haven't been able to stand up under my own power. I didn't feel a thing until the next day when I couldn't get out of bed.

Let it heal.

JimN
05-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks for all the posts guys. I appreciate it.

Since I got my MasterCraft a few years ago, I have always deep water started with 1 ski. Last year I went from a comp-free ride to the HO Coefficient X. In this transition I also switched to double boots last season too. I wonder if I should put my toe plate back on and try that after I feel better.

I like the idea of using a kick ski too, it has been so long and had not thought about that. That would be a good way to get back on the water sooner.

How can anyone recommend therapy if nobody knows exactly what is damaged, and how badly? Giving advice on this is a bad idea and taking any is foolish.

epnault
05-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Fair challenge. I just was just hoping this was something that commonly happens to skiers. I am kind of new to this sport, sorry.

BARE5
05-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Go see the dr. You may have torn something. Not worth the pain if you have insurance.

mikeg205
05-22-2012, 06:16 PM
^^^+1...you could have really injured it pretty bad...and the new symptoms could rear their ugly head when things seem to not hurt.

Unless I have a really experienced driver I always drill a slow and easy start...on anything... everyone loves that hole shot except the skier and his hands/arms... :D I would really see an orthopedic doctor.

JimN
05-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Fair challenge. I just was just hoping this was something that commonly happens to skiers. I am kind of new to this sport, sorry.

If you have bruising, you tore something. Could be muscle, tendon, veins. Have you tried checking fine motor functions with that hand? If you have problems doing certain things, apart from the pain, you may have messed something up badly enough to warrant an MRI or some other tests.

ahhudgins
05-22-2012, 07:01 PM
If you have bruising, you tore something. Could be muscle, tendon, veins. Have you tried checking fine motor functions with that hand? If you have problems doing certain things, apart from the pain, you may have messed something up badly enough to warrant an MRI or some other tests.

I agree with Jim, GET IT CHECKED! If you have bruising from a strong pull, it needs to be rested.
Iíve been living with shoulder pain for 2 years now. I had X-rays, cortisone shot, and a MRI. The doctor said that the MRI looked good but I could still have a small tear in my bicep tendon or a bad case of tendonitis. I took 6 weeks off from the gym last winter and it helped a lot, but as soon as I got back in the weight room and started skiing this month, the pain came back. At 50 years old, the doctor said that I need to give the shoulder a complete rest for 6 months, which will only happen when I die!:D

petermegan
05-22-2012, 07:11 PM
If you are looking to get up easier I would recommend putting your kicker back on and getting up with your front foot in only. This takes a little practice but about half the effort to get up. Does any body else do this? Can you dry start at all? Otherwise it sounds as if you are standing up a bit quick when getting up, try to stay crouching down as long as possible. Don't even think about skiing until fully recovered!

Miss Rita
05-23-2012, 12:58 AM
An Orthopedist won't be interested in you if you don't need surgery; they have short attention spans. ;-) You need to see your family doctor. If he/she knows what they're doing, they will send you to a physical therapist. If they don't know what they're doing, they will send you to an Orthopedist, who in turn will send you to PT. Trust me, because I'm a doctor. MD, 1983, Ohio State University.

nkorep2
05-23-2012, 01:17 AM
As others have stated, go see a doc. Based on your description, Im inclined to think you likely strained your forearm muscles. That strain could be more severe and could be an actually partial or complete tear. I have to disagree that all ortho guys will not be interested unless surgery is needed. I have 3 really close friends who are orthopedic surgeons, and they dont operate unless necessary. Id be very surprised that you'd need surgery anyway. Id say time itself will go a long way to heal your injury. Not a doc, yet, but from personal experience. Either way, go see a professional, and dont be afraid to see an ortho guy. :rolleyes:

JohnE
05-23-2012, 09:54 AM
I agree with all that say go to the Dr. I don't think it was the strong pull so much as probably poor form getting up. If my form is right it doesn't matter how strong the pull is....if it is really too strong and form is ok, then my hands may let go. Otherwise I think that poor form translates to more stress on certain muscles than necessary leading to injury. It's happened with arms and back for me.

tideengineer
05-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Go see a sports doc. To me it looks like muscle tissure tear/severe pull which is causing the bleeding/bruising. I actually pulled my quad muscle in half running the 110 high-hurdles...all that was holding the two sides together was what seemed to be two pieces of tissue the sizes of pencils....my whole leg turned black and blue. Dr. Andrews and others put me in high compression wraps for a few weeks and I recovered nicely. A good sports doc can help you in a hurry...not all are out for surgery....even though I've had a few of those too!

jafo9
05-23-2012, 11:46 AM
speciality probably doesn't matter as much as whether the doc is used to dealing with athletes. athletic recovery/treatment is a different mindset than the usual occupation/daily life type injuries. a good sports medicine clinic will have surgeons/non-surgeons/PT/etc all under one roof with the common goal of getting the athlete "back on the field" or in the water in this case.

tideengineer
05-23-2012, 12:31 PM
jafo9- exactly! A good sports rehab doc is all about getting "back on the field" without doing inreversible damage...my opionion was related to trying to get our fellow skier back on the water. Summer is just beginning.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-23-2012, 02:22 PM
My surgeon referred me to the Sister Kenny Spine Institute for my PT. I can't say enough about the quality of the care I received there. My recovery was considerably quicker than I would have hoped for.
http://www.allinahealth.org/ahs/ski.nsf

_fng_
05-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Area would be associated with the muscle belly of the wrist flexors. Muscles get much better blood flow then tendons and for this reason usually recover quicker. Maintaining flexibility and performing light, painfree strengthening exercises should be beneficial given there is no gross abnormality in movement to suggest tendon rupture i.e. during wrist flexion it deviates towards the thumb side (or you can't visualize the tendon). And as always, ice is your friend to control swelling and pain.

As far as PT goes, I'd recommend seeking a PT with OCS behind their name but I'm biased. This is a credential that requires at least 2 years practice (or completing a PT residency orthopedics) and completing a comprehensiveness written examination with ~50-60% pass rate.

epnault
05-23-2012, 03:24 PM
That is good news FNG. I hope you are right on the quick healing process. I got the ole dixie cup, ice cube, technique I learned from college football icing my foremarms every night.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I have continued my stength training morning routine regardless of the injury (boot camps M-W-F) and (core conditioning T-R) with out issues. I did try some pull ups yesterday and felt pretty good. Where it startes to hurt is when the majority of pressure moves to the fingertips, you know when you get to your final reps. I also did some wakeboarding last night.

I really like the comment about my technique. I am sure that was an issue too, I shouldn't blame it all on the driver. I am a complete raw skier, never skied with a good skier and never had any training. Any tips on where I could get some tips on technique for deep water starts?