PDA

View Full Version : Possible move to KC area

tdjaster
05-22-2012, 11:28 AM
My wife and I are possibly/probably moving to Kansas City in the next couple of months. We are pretty certain that we want to live at Raintree Lake in Lee's Summit.

Does anyone have knowledge/thoughts/opinions on this area? What is a realistic ski season (how many months)? Also who are the dealerships that best service inboards there? I think the closest MC dealer is in Lake of the Ozarks.

Thanks!

mzimme
05-22-2012, 11:35 AM
My wife and I are possibly/probably moving to Kansas City in the next couple of months. We are pretty certain that we want to live at Raintree Lake in Lee's Summit.

Does anyone have knowledge/thoughts/opinions on this area? What is a realistic ski season (how many months)? Also who are the dealerships that best service inboards there? I think the closest MC dealer is in Lake of the Ozarks.

Thanks!

Not sure on the dealership side of things, as I haven't had to service mine at a dealer, however, I do know a little about the lakes in the area.

Raintree is nice. It's a bit smaller, and limited to 21' boats. Property in that area is "cheaper" for "lakefront" type property, but you also arent allowed to have private docks. Docks are all community based docks. Not sure if they have a ski course set up.

Somewhat close to raintree lake is Lake Lotawana. That lake is a bit bigger, and you're allowed to have private docks along the lake. It's also a bit more expensive to live there. I know Lotawana has a ski club with a slalom course to use during the week.

There's also other lakes in the area that you can't live on. Smithville, is on the north side of KC, about 20 minutes from the downtown area, and there's Truman Lake, a bit south... as well as the ever popular Lake of the Ozarks and Table Rock about 2 and 4 hours away respectively. There's lots of fun in the area!

Check the kansascity.craigslist.org housing section, and search for Lotawana or Raintree... you'll get an idea of what the properties are like around those areas.

As far as ski season, this year we could have been skiing in February if you're brave enough. We had a very mild winter this year. Sometimes it doesn't even get over 50 until late into March. I have friends that wakeboard up until Halloween on some years, again, it just depends on how much you like colder water.

Bob B
05-22-2012, 11:52 AM
I live at Lake Raintree. It is approx. 300 acres. Yes, there is a slalom course.
The Mastercraft dealer I use is at Table Rock Lake, 200 miles but worth the drive. He does excellent work. (Ski & sports) My son used to completion slalom ski. Feb thru Nov. Dry suits in winter and wet suits in early spring.
The max. Lg on a powerboat is 21. Ft. (I have a2002 prostar 197).
…….
http://rlpoa.com/

tdjaster
05-22-2012, 11:55 AM
I live at Lake Raintree. It is approx. 300 acres. Yes, there is a slalom course.
The Mastercraft dealer I use is at Table Rock Lake, 200 miles but worth the drive. He does excellent work. (Ski & sports) My son used to completion slalom ski. Feb thru Nov. Dry suits in winter and wet suits in early spring.
The max. Lg on a powerboat is 21. Ft. (I have a2002 prostar 197).
…….
http://rlpoa.com/

Good insider info!

I'm guessing that since it's got a slalom course, the lake "culture" is pretty ski/wake-friendly? I'd hate to get there and then be shunned because my boat has a tower. :-)

How busy does it get? My vision is that we could come home from work and take a ski set a few nights per week and then spend some time on the weekends too, which I'm sure is crowded in the warm months.

P.S. I've lived in Texas for the past 9 years...what is this wet suit you speak of?.............just kidding.

Bob B
05-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Most slalom skiing is done early morning or evening. No traffic at all during the day. Fri nite thru Sunday evening you don’t use the course. Lots of wakeboarders.

d2jp
05-22-2012, 07:16 PM
I lived in Overland Park for about 4 years in the late '90's. The greater KC area is an awesome place to live. Great schools, restaurants, etc. Really enjoyed living there!`

StrmChzr
05-22-2012, 10:38 PM
I live south of Olathe near Hillsdale. HD can be good on weekdays but it's a zoo on the weekends.

I just boat an 05 XStar from MarineWorld in Wichita - so far i've liked their service. I know Williams Bros in Shell Knob is great dealer, but it's a windy road to Table Rock for a service visit.

If I were looking at KS versus MO living, be aware KS boat taxes are ridiculously high.

SkiDaddy
05-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Hi Troy,

I live in Shawnee on the West side of town. Just got a "new to me" 1993 190 ProStar. So far we've only gone to Clinton Lake which is in Lawrence. It's about 35 miles away from where we live. Had a great outing there last night with the wife and two boys.

KC is a great place to live. I just wish we lived on a lake instead of having to trailer to the water.......oh well......some day.

Good luck with your house search!

Chip

mzimme
05-23-2012, 09:23 AM
Hi Troy,

I live in Shawnee on the West side of town. Just got a "new to me" 1993 190 ProStar. So far we've only gone to Clinton Lake which is in Lawrence. It's about 35 miles away from where we live. Had a great outing there last night with the wife and two boys.

KC is a great place to live. I just wish we lived on a lake instead of having to trailer to the water.......oh well......some day.

Good luck with your house search!

Chip

You should check out smithville sometime if you haven't been there. The last time I dropped my boat in, the first boat I saw come into the dock was an 86 prostar. We chatted a bit, and went out separate ways. Pretty cool seeing another older MC out on the water at the beginning of the day. :cool:

tdjaster
05-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks for all the info. I'll keep you all updated if/when we move and hopefully we'll meet up on the water!