PDA

View Full Version : Ski School tomarrow!!! any last minute advice?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-20-2005, 02:51 PM
Ski School tomarrow!!! :D any last minute advice? :confused:

Weather permitting of course. WIth all the nasty weather in WI lately, I hope a tornado doesnt come and blow my #*@ off of the lake!! :eek:

anyway, I was just wondering if anybody had any last minute advice for a my day at ski school. I am planning on getting a good night sleep tonite, I always eat a good healthy breakfast too.

as far as gear, I am bringing dry clothes, good food, water, shave gel, 2 skis, my handle, my wetsuit, my PFD, my gloves, my allergy eye drops, allenwrench for ski, Towels, sunglasses, hat. and my ipod for the drive.

My buddy got to remember his own stuff!!!! :uglyhamme

UMP

erkoehler
08-20-2005, 02:53 PM
sun block????

08-20-2005, 03:20 PM
you know I almost included that I dont wear sunblock. But THANKS for the advice. For some reason, I dont need it. my face takes on sun, but it doesnt burn bad, and I have a deep base tan all over so I am good!

parks_jr_55
08-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Where are you goin to Ski School at?

MarkP
08-20-2005, 03:30 PM

Weather permitting of course. WIth all the nasty weather in WI lately, I hope a tornado doesnt come and blow my #*@ off of the lake!! :eek:

anyway, I was just wondering if anybody had any last minute advice for a my day at ski school. I am planning on getting a good night sleep tonite, I always eat a good healthy breakfast too.

as far as gear, I am bringing dry clothes, good food, water, shave gel, 2 skis, my handle, my wetsuit, my PFD, my gloves, my allergy eye drops, allenwrench for ski, Towels, sunglasses, hat. and my ipod for the drive.

UMP
LMAO,

I donít bring that much stuff for a week!!

08-20-2005, 04:25 PM
Parks, going to Eagle River, WI

Mark, its funny. I am SUCH an organizer :uglyhamme my family and friends all say I take way too much $*@# with me where ever I go, whatever I do.

Hey, you ought to see how much gear I haul to a gig when I am playing guitar.....I need roadies!!! usually 4 guitars, 2 amps & extension cabinets, 1 floor switcher, 1 huge pedal board, 2 big boxes filled with cables, tuners, strings, wireless unit, guitar rack, and everything under the sun including the kitchen sink!! my Mesa Boogie Road king 2X12 amplifier in its road case weighs 160 lbs. :eek: so its WAY to heavy for me to be lifting around. plus the extension cab is 75 lbs.

UMP

erkoehler
08-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Parks, going to Eagle River, WI

UMP

Where at in Eagle River, WI??? Do you know the name of the place or the name of the lake that they are on?

Leroy
08-20-2005, 04:59 PM
You going to Mag Fest? Would be useful to have an organizer there!

Don't forget the slime! Friend lost a screw out of his bindings, may need some extra's.

Good luck in the class and remember to breath!

east tx skier
08-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Alcohol for your ears. Extra towels. Money for lunch.

MarkP
08-21-2005, 09:14 PM

UMPWell,

Come ON Ump... How did it go??

08-22-2005, 10:39 AM
SOrry I didnt post earlier, UMP was pretty tired when I got home yesterday after a full day of skiing. My primary goal was to hit the jacuzzi and the bottle of Aleve and then bed.
Overall I think it went pretty well. First thing I learned was I was holding the rope handle wrong, I had my wrong palm facing up. I ski left foot forward and I had my left palm up. SO we started by changing that right away. IN the morning sessions we worked on my technique. trying to correct things I was doing wrong. Working on proper form, keeping the rope at my waist(not at my chest). I wasnt looking were I should have been during my turns to properly execute the turn and cross the wake. So I made some improvements by lunch time on those concepts. I was keeping my head turned into the turn looking across the wake rather than just staring randomly. I was working my hips more bringing my hips into the rope handle coming out of the turns to accelerate out of it. THen We started working on 2 parts turns. Accelerating up thru the 2nd wake, then decelerating and setting up the turn. The cool part about this was it started to really solve my slack line problem on the offside turn because I wasnt cutting past the wake and over skiing the boat.

in the afternoon he wanted to intruduce me with the course to try and get used to developing a rhythm and getting my distance out from teh boat more uniform. Now please remember I have never, ever skied a slalom course, Hell I havent even seen one other than TV and internet. So running the course was more than a bit foreign for me. he stressed how I had to start my turns before the bouy to turn JUST around it in order to leave enough space to get to the next bouy. so after a few runs through I started to get the feel for it. I was running at 60 ft, 32 mph. by the end of the afternoon I damn near made 3 bouys. I had 2 consistenly and I was lookoing and feeling good doing it. The insptructor said I had good forrm and was doing well. I would have loved to stay out there and keep trying, but my body was wore out. My spirit was there, but I was just too tired to ski effectively. I was getting unstable and falling easily. The cool part about the course was the timing and distance structure that really tied things together for me. that really helped with the slack line thing. I tell you this, I always thought I was comfortable sking at 35 mph and skiing at 32 was a chore because I felt I was plowing through the water. WEll, I found out the problem isnt boat speed, its ME!. SKiing aggresively at 32 mph was very enjoyable and let me tell you, when using that 2 part turn concept accelerating up to the 2nd wake gave me PLENTY of speed! I didnt feel like I was dogging it at all. I was surprised at how the course can discipline you to get that rythym together. The only problem I had was I was so focused on making the bouys that I wasnt focusing on the concepts I had learned a few hours before. It was alot to absorb in one day. I am very eager to get out on the water and apply what I learned. it will be fun! :D I have a tremendous amount of respect for you skiers that run the course succesfully on any level. thats alot more difficult than it looks. So I headed for home with some new ideas, techniques, and a set of sore muscles, but a good kind of sore! My hands faired very well. They were sore, but NO blisters!! I repeat NO blisters!! after a full day. Now I dont know if that had anything to do with the correct right palm up thing, or my hands are just stronger, or the kevlarl liners......

Oh yea, I tried to wake surf at the end of the day too. I didnt make it up. I was pretty tired and I have never wakeboarded so the concept was pretty strange. I came close a few times, but got wobbly and wiped out.

It was a good day! :)

Leroy
08-22-2005, 11:15 AM
Great going UMP! Amazing, almost 3 balls at 15 off the first time! Congrats!

east tx skier
08-22-2005, 11:23 AM
UMP, that's great. Congrats. I hear you on slowing speed being a chore at first. After years of free skiing at 36, I've slowed to 32 (and make course attempts at 30 mph). Keep after it.

By the way, I fully expect a post from you about building a slalom course or buying a portable soon. :)

08-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Ya know eastie, its funny you say that. I just got off the phone with our local sherriff dept marine officer inquiring about installing a slalom course in our area. Apparently the great lakes fall under some different US coast gaurd laws than inland lakes do, so he wasnt sure about it. Obviously in this frozen tundra, we are the first people to ever inquire about installing a slalom course on Lake superior!! :uglyhamme so he was going to research the laws on it and get back to me. Of course, we could always use a portable course and remove it after every use too. but thats a bit of a pain. I would like to use a portable and leave it in for summer season.

The place we have selected is not an area that is frequented by fisherman much because of the beach type area, and there is a much better beach nearby, so this one isnt refreqneted by swimmers much. so I think it would be a good spot..... We will see... I am not raising the victory flag yet. and iF I have enough dedicated helpers, we can always use a portable and take it out everytime. :rolleyes:

we will see.

and thanks for the vote of confidence guys. I didnt know if 32 MPH at 15 off getting 2 bouys(almost 3) was a comendable mark for a first time course runner. I was happy with it after I realized the challenge that a course provides. I have never claimed to be a "great" skier, but even as humble as I was, that slalom course serves you up a good slice of humble pie!!!! 8p

YOu know it hit me last night. I was at a learning plateau for like 13 years as a skier. I never pursued skiing seriously until this year. I have accomplished so much in a short time. I have really catapulted my style. I am far more aggressive, yet smooth. I have become stronger, have more stamina, and I finally defeated the demon of starting on 1 ski this year. Thats enabled me to use double boots which has pushed my skiing even further. So I have really made leaps and bounds this season. I sometimes forget what I have accomplished because I am focusing on what I want to accomplish. Somtimes you need to stop and take a look around. (Eastie, you know how this is with guitar gear and playing too, right???) So I am doing well. I am planning on training all winter to get a good leg up on next season. Its a great expereince!!!! :wavey:

UMP

BriEOD
08-22-2005, 12:06 PM
LMAO,

I donít bring that much stuff for a week!!

Mark just needs his ski, shorts, ski belt and olive oil (binding lube). :uglyhamme

Kevin 89MC
08-22-2005, 12:59 PM
UMP, that's awesome! I just started course skiing about 3 years ago. No lessons (until a few weeks ago with Jason Paredes). It took me 5-6 times to even get through it at 15 off at 30 mph. Now that I've have access to a private lake with a course, 1-2 times a week for the last 2 years, I'm getting a bit better. I'm still at 15 off, can't quite make 34 mph. I can do 33, but it's tough. Jason helped out a bunch. We've also recently started videotaping ourselves, that really helps. It is truly humbling. It is also so incredibly addicting!! It is such a rush! I have not free skied yet this year, and I think that has actually hurt me. I have not worked on the things I need to do to improve my skiing. A good combination of both is key for me I think.
Good luck getting a course set up. My wife's cousins have cabins on a lake in northern Wisconsin, and some of us have thought of setting up a course there. Lake Superior is a whole different ball game I bet (and COLD too!)
Kevin

P.S. What boat did you ski behind? Yours? Does it have PP? I hope I don't ever have to ski the course without PP again-it rocks!

MarkP
08-22-2005, 01:20 PM
Mark just needs his ski, shorts, ski belt and olive oil (binding lube). :uglyhamme
Thatís right.. Donít organize, prioritize!!

08-22-2005, 01:36 PM
Kevin, they had a 2003 SN at the ski school. It had PP. It was a good tow. I dont have PP on my boat, but if I am going to get into course skiing, I suppose I may have to look into it. We will see...... I dont know.
1 step at a time.

so just for conversation sake, is it a pain to install PP. or are you better to bring it to a dealer and have it installed? What does it cost?

BrianM
08-22-2005, 01:55 PM
so just for conversation sake, is it a pain to install PP. or are you better to bring it to a dealer and have it installed? What does it cost?

If you are slightly mechanically inclined PP is an easy install as long as you don't mind drilling a 2" hole in the bottom of your boat. Takes about 3 hours to do by yourself.

08-22-2005, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE=BrianM]If you are slightly mechanically inclined PP is an easy install as long as you don't mind drilling a 2" hole in the bottom of your boat. QUOTE]

Oooofff....I dont know about that..... I am not to wild about the idea of drilling a 2" hole in my boat. :eek:

DooSPX
08-22-2005, 03:41 PM
did they tune your vengeance at all? Or was it all form, etc that was the problem going from your obrien to the Vengeance??

08-22-2005, 04:47 PM
Doo,

I made some adjustments to my Vengeance prior to ski school. I skied last friday to try it out. I dropped the whole fin a bit,from the top I would say I dropped it about 1/8" and just nudged the whole fin forward just a bit and moved the front binding forward one notch. It skis very nice now, but I think alot of the of the problem was my form and technique. But the biggest problem was my head just wasnt in the game that night I had problems with it. I had a bad night with my seige the night before, so it wasnt the Vengeance's fault at all. But the little tweaks I did to it really did seem to make it ski more comfortably. Im not "fighting" the ski at all. It seems very natural and fluid under my feet.

I asked him if he thought my ski needed any adjustments and he didnt think so, he couldnt see any evidence of a bad ski setup in my skiing. He said to just keep skiing it, it looks good to him, and skis good to me.

UMP :wavey:

Kevin 89MC
08-23-2005, 11:29 AM
Kevin, they had a 2003 SN at the ski school. It had PP. It was a good tow. I dont have PP on my boat, but if I am going to get into course skiing, I suppose I may have to look into it. We will see...... I dont know.
1 step at a time.

PP is really great. perfectpass.com has great info, but you can get it cheaper at skiertoskier.com. I actually got mine used. It was pretty easy to install. Drilling the hole wasn't too bad. I did buy a special drill bit, with "granules" on it instead of teeth, it is for cutting fiberglass & plastic. Found it at Home Depot. If you get around to doing it, I can take a picture of my bit, or even let you borrow it. The rest isn't too bad, just a bit time consuming, but pretty easy.
The biggest difference I noticed in my old boat before PP, is that we were able to really slow it down when pulling hard. We could slow it down by almost 2 mph. Then when we'd release for the buoys, the boat would speed back up, often pulling the rope out of our hands! It got to where I really did not like skiing behind mine anymore. PP solved that! It's not so bad on the newer boats. One time my B-I-L forgot to turn it on when I skied behind his '99 Prostar 190, and I thought I felt a little something wrong, but not nearly as bad as our old carb'd engines.
Good luck,
Kevin

08-23-2005, 11:42 AM
Thanks Kevin,

I will let you know if we decide to install a course next season. If we dont, then there is certainly no reason for PP. But even as beginners in the course, I may not need PP. I just plan on running it for fun, but I can always add PP if I feel the need to be more technical about speed control.

Does running 15 off at 32 mph require PP. I wouldnt think I would be pulling the boat around that much unless I was short line around 34 mph or so...... :confused: I dont know that much about course skiing so I dont know how important PP is to a beginner like me.... :confused:

UMP

parks_jr_55
08-23-2005, 11:43 AM
What lake was this ski school on?

Do they have a website?

Kevin 89MC
08-23-2005, 04:45 PM
That's where we're running - 15 off @ 32-34 MPH. I seriously thought of selling my '89 after getting used to the '99 in the course. PP really made a big difference in the pull for my '89. When free skiing I didn't care too much whose boat I skied behind. Once I started running the course, though, it became very apparent how much PP helped. My B-I-L's '99 didn't have PP right away, and when he got it, I noticed a small change. I think the newer EFI engines can hold RPM (and therefore speed) much better. His has the Corvette engine too. We probably don't tax it at all!
Good luck,
Kevin

08-23-2005, 04:59 PM
parks you can reach them at;

http://www.usawaterski.org/pages/schools/2005/Northpoint.htm

715-545-2522 is the phone #

I just found them by googling a search on ski schools. The USA Waterski page listed them as a certified school, so I called.

Give it a try, but if you want to go this year, you should call soon as there isnt much season left.

UMP