PDA

View Full Version : Where do you store your MC for winter...?

bigmac
08-20-2005, 02:44 PM
And how much does it cost you? Winterization + boat storage around here costs anywhere from $400 (relatively insecure county fairground buildings) to $999 (fenced, locked, patrolled MC dealer).

I have a 20x30 pole building I built myself for $1100 several years ago for storing boats, but looking at my very substantial MasterCraft trailer, I simply assumed there was no way it was going to fit through the 106-inch wide overhead door (106 inches - what was I thinking?). Well, it does, with several inches to spare (woot) which saves me a lot of money. My previous trailer was too wide even though the boat is narrower.

Pleasant surprise...

erkoehler
08-20-2005, 02:58 PM
I think I may be either storing it in my garage up in Eagle River, or at the dealer in Minocqua. They charge 26 dollars per foot for the year. Indoors. You call they take it out and get it ready, drop it off and they put it away.

mcprostar197
08-20-2005, 03:18 PM
I think I may be either storing it in my garage up in Eagle River, or at the dealer in Minocqua. They charge 26 dollars per foot for the year. Indoors. You call they take it out and get it ready, drop it off and they put it away.

Yah, they really take good care of people there dealing with winterization.

bigmac
08-20-2005, 03:27 PM

Does that $26/foot include winterizing/oil change etc?

My dealer want's $250 just to winterize (not a bad price IMHO), including back-in-service, but I'll have to drop it off for winterizing, then pick it up to bring it home to store it - reverse the process in the spring. A little bit of a PITA, but I'm OK with it for the $750 it will save me each year.

MarkP
08-20-2005, 03:39 PM
I guess the winter lay up procedure costs about 50 bucks and 150 to keep it in the cave from the end of October till the 15th of May (about 50/55 degrees and secure)..

mcprostar197
08-20-2005, 03:43 PM
Does that $26/foot include winterizing/oil change etc?

My dealer want's $250 just to winterize (not a bad price IMHO), including back-in-service, but I'll have to drop it off for winterizing, then pick it up to bring it home to store it - reverse the process in the spring. A little bit of a PITA, but I'm OK with it for the $750 it will save me each year.

I'm pretty sure $26/ft is just for storage. I can ask my dad exactly how much it is to store, winterize, summerize, etc. when hes around and then I'll post it unless someone else gets to that first.

erkoehler
08-20-2005, 03:52 PM
I'm pretty sure $26/ft is just for storage. I can ask my dad exactly how much it is to store, winterize, summerize, etc. when hes around and then I'll post it unless someone else gets to that first.

26.00/ft just for the 1 year of indoor storage.

RobertT
08-20-2005, 04:57 PM
My dealer included three years winterization, and lifetime secure storage as long as I own the boat.

hahahaha:-)

Leroy
08-20-2005, 05:06 PM
Nice set up Bigmac! I will store in friends climate controlled garage this winter. No charge. In the past I have paid around $100 per month for garage.

bigmac
08-20-2005, 05:18 PM
My dealer included three years winterization, and lifetime secure storage as long as I own the boat.

hahahaha:-)

Holy Cr@p! That's a fantastic deal!

redmike
08-20-2005, 05:21 PM
Nice set up Bigmac! I will store in friends climate controlled garage this winter. No charge. In the past I have paid around $100 per month for garage.
good friend leroy! for the record, I store mine in my heated garage,

whitedog
08-20-2005, 06:14 PM
Mine goes in my buddies old barn. On cement floor. When the sleds come out my boat goes in. Costs a case of beer and I get to help drink it.

Winterization cost about 2 hours of my time and $50.00 + or - for oil anti freeze ect.Sumerazation takes about an hour and around $30 for a new impeller every other year.

AirJunky
08-20-2005, 06:27 PM
Sits on the side of my house. Which reminds me...... gotta get to work on that carport!

6ballsisall
08-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Last Winter I Stored my 86' on the side of our house. It was a real PITA. We'll look at storage areas this year. BTW, who all gets their boat shrinkwrapped? Whats that cost?

erkoehler
08-20-2005, 06:34 PM
Last Winter I Stored my 86' on the side of our house. It was a real PITA. We'll look at storage areas this year. BTW, who all gets their boat shrinkwrapped? Whats that cost?

I have never actually had it done, but I have seen the price at approx. $10 a foot in Northern WI.

H20skeefreek
08-20-2005, 07:57 PM
you can buy a kit and do it yourself from West Marine. Not sure of the cost.

maristarman
08-20-2005, 08:14 PM
Store it right in my driveway under one of those big 10 x 20 canopies from Costco that comes with the side panels. Cost $169. Don't need to winterize in my area, never gets cold enough to worry about.

bigmac
08-20-2005, 08:28 PM
you can buy a kit and do it yourself from West Marine. Not sure of the cost.

I have a friend that tried to do his own shrink wrapping with one of those Dr. Shrink kits a couple of years ago. It was pretty amusing. Once he got the boat draped and taped, started out trying to shrink it with a heat gun. That was a joke, so he got a propane torch. (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=266859&R=266859) . Then he had to get some repair tape to cover all the holes he burned in the cover with the torch. It took several hours and all in all he spent only slightly less than it would have cost to store it inside somewhere. To top it off, he didn't vent the cover and in the spring had the most amazing crop of mildew I've ever seen. He ended up having to get it detailed for another $200. He pays to have it stored inside now.

Maristar210
08-20-2005, 08:52 PM

Erk,

It costs a lot less if you buy the heat gun and the film. I did. If you know how is works pretty well. BTW I bought it for shipping equipment overseas at work, not for the boat.

www.dr-shrink.com

Steve

ski_king
08-20-2005, 09:28 PM
I store mine in my mom's unused garage.
She is thinking of selling, so I may have to put it in the bat cave with Mark's boat.

bigmac
08-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Erk,

It costs a lot less if you buy the heat gun and the film. I did. If you know how is works pretty well. BTW I bought it for shipping equipment overseas at work, not for the boat.

www.dr-shrink.com

Steve

Don't forget the vents and dehumidifiers ;)

I don't know.... $390 one-time for the heat gun amortized plus 6 vents plus $100 per year for the 17x120 film. That's compared to about $200-$250/year to have someone do it....about a 3 or 4 year payback?

I wonder what the advantage of shrink wrap is over a one-time $500 purchase of a custom trailering cover and a blue poly tarp if we're talking static storage.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-20-2005, 10:47 PM
I get to put mine in a 70degree garage all winter. Not mine I must add, although the fee is all year round house maintenance, but worth every penny/minute.

Gofast
08-20-2005, 10:51 PM
I stored mine in the backyard last year. Large corner lot with double gates.

However, I just got the call today from a storage place close to my house. 10 X 30 enclosed for $88 a month. Electric provided, so maybe I'll use a block warmer over the winter......Probably not, but the option is there.

Rob

dog paw
08-21-2005, 10:01 PM
Nice spread Mac! I can manage to pack mine in my garage with the sea doos not much room left but it works I look at winterizing like cutting your lawn if I cant do it I shouldn’t have the boat. Man 3-4 hundred dollars will by a couple tanks of gas! :D

bcampbe7
08-21-2005, 11:40 PM
Mine stays in the same place all year long...my garage. :)
This is the only picture I have of the boat store up for the Winter. I normally don't take the platform off as the boat fits in the garage with about 4 inches to spare, but was doing the yearly teak re-finishing and had it off.

EDIT:
When the boat trailer hitch comes off the SUV, notice what takes it's place. :cool:

betsy&david Harrison
08-21-2005, 11:43 PM
Ours stays put in the garage in Bakersfield. We winterize her and cover her up. B

Leroy
08-22-2005, 12:16 AM
Heated garage is great!

good friend leroy! for the record, I store mine in my heated garage,

erkoehler
08-22-2005, 12:52 AM
Mine stays in the same place all year long...my garage. :)
This is the only picture I have of the boat store up for the Winter. I normally don't take the platform off as the boat fits in the garage with about 4 inches to spare, but was doing the yearly teak re-finishing and had it off.

EDIT:
When the boat trailer hitch comes off the SUV, notice what takes it's place. :cool:

No MC decal on that truck? :eek:

Kell
08-22-2005, 01:00 AM
In the third bay of my garage so I can sit in it on those cold winter days in anticipation of late spring. :D Did the winterization myself last year, thank to all the fine folks on this board, oil & tranny fluid change, new impeller at summerization, etc....

Bert
08-22-2005, 01:31 AM
In the third bay of my garage so I can sit in it on those cold winter days in anticipation of late spring. :D Did the winterization myself last year, thank to all the fine folks on this board, oil & tranny fluid change, new impeller at summerization, etc.... Careful, I did that and on the first trip to the lake the battery was dead :o from listening to the stereo all winter while I drank beer :) and dreamed of summer. That was 13 years ago and my wife has never let me live that one down. Just has to tease me with that once every summer.

bcampbe7
08-22-2005, 10:35 AM
No MC decal on that truck? :eek:

You are not looking close enough. ;)

I am needing a new white "MasterCraft" decal for the vehicle. Do you have one that you want to give me? :D