PDA

View Full Version : Trailering with/without Cover

Nick911
05-21-2012, 02:50 PM
How do you guys typically trailer your boat for long distances? With or without cover? How do you protect your gel coat if you do use cover? I've seen pics of guys leaving the poles up under the covers.

Ski-me
05-21-2012, 02:52 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=47663&highlight=cover+trailer

a little reading for you.......

east tx skier
05-21-2012, 03:22 PM
General rule of thumb is do not leave a cover on when you trailer. The cover will collect dirt in the canvas and will move around, essentially like rubbing your boat with sandpaper. I have made this mistake and it was a pain to polish out.

There are a couple of companies out there that make "trailerable" covers. One is Coversports. The other is Evolution. I have a coversports cover on my Nautique and it works well. It is drum tight and has no straps to the trailer or poles to tent it. I have trailered through a monsoon and the boat has come out boat dry on the inside. No scratches from the cover either.

That said, unless it looks like serious rain or I am taking the boat somewhere in town where I would put the cover on at the destination, I leave it off.

Picture of my cover.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-BoFEwTkOE34/TaJ5SziKhgI/AAAAAAAAD00/mt3zBaOMkqw/s912/IMAG0050.jpg

BrooksfamX2
05-21-2012, 03:38 PM
General rule of thumb is do not leave a cover on when you trailer. The cover will collect dirt in the canvas and will move around, essentially like rubbing your boat with sandpaper.........

Yes it will. With that said, I trailer everywhere with the cover on. For long trips I seal the leading edges of the bottom of the cover with the blue painters tape. Keeps the dirt and air out. This has worked well for me.

Ski-me
05-21-2012, 03:51 PM
General rule of thumb is do not leave a cover on when you trailer. The cover will collect dirt in the canvas and will move around, essentially like rubbing your boat with sandpaper. I have made this mistake and it was a pain to polish out.

There are a couple of companies out there that make "trailerable" covers. One is Coversports. The other is Evolution. I have a coversports cover on my Nautique and it works well. It is drum tight and has no straps to the trailer or poles to tent it. I have trailered through a monsoon and the boat has come out boat dry on the inside. No scratches from the cover either.

That said, unless it looks like serious rain or I am taking the boat somewhere in town where I would put the cover on at the destination, I leave it off.

Picture of my cover.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-BoFEwTkOE34/TaJ5SziKhgI/AAAAAAAAD00/mt3zBaOMkqw/s912/IMAG0050.jpg

Nice to see the whole boat! Looks like it's still brand new...... :cool:

east tx skier
05-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Thanks. It took some buffing, initially, but it's a very well maintained 14 year old boat.

Nick911
05-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Tower up or down?

Jerseydave
05-21-2012, 06:59 PM
Tower up for me when trailering but I suppose either way is ok. Just protect your vinyl with foam blocks if the tower comes in contact with it.

Unless you have a power tower.....then down to keep the bugs off! :D

EA2010
05-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Tower up or down?

Nick, I got mine out to the Okanagan. Cover on, poles out, tower down. No issues ... and the roads after Golden were full of pot holes!

Nick911
05-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Nick, I got mine out to the Okanagan. Cover on, poles out, tower down. No issues ... and the roads after Golden were full of pot holes!

Was there any damage where the cover touched the rub rail and did you use any type of wrap?

EA2010
05-21-2012, 07:44 PM
Was there any damage where the cover touched the rub rail and did you use any type of wrap?

Nope and Nope ... but it can't hurt to take those precautions described above (if you have the time).

rsmith_5568
05-21-2012, 08:10 PM
I always do tower up and cover off. If boat gets dirty that is a good reason to wash when we get there usually with an ice cold beer in hand!! But when I tow back as long as no rain it really helps to dry out boat with cover off

mikeg205
05-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Thanks. It took some buffing, initially, but it's a very well maintained 14 year old boat.

Too bad you had to settle for them "N" decals... :D - j...u....s...t...s...a..y...i...n'...lol

swatguy
05-21-2012, 09:26 PM
The factory MC covers are not very good to tow with. The will leave scuffs and marks on your boat especially over time. The will also bleed on your vinyl after rubbing long distances.

I have an aftermarket cover that I can tow with, but I try to always tow with cover off. If it is a monsoon cover on for sure.

As far as the tower up or down, if its power tower I would say down is ok. Less bugs to deal with all over the tower, racks and speakers. However if its manual up all the way. To many parts bouncing around on a manual one that can lead to problems. Plus tower up looks legit :) its a wakeboat.

bjames
05-22-2012, 06:02 PM
For 2012, MC recommends towing with ZFT5P in the down position with the locks in place. They recommend against towing with the tower raised. Kind of the oposite of what was recommended in 2011.

LaRue
05-22-2012, 07:03 PM
I was informed by MC dealer to leave NDT up when towing

CantRepeat
05-22-2012, 07:17 PM

What tower do you have?

EA2010
05-22-2012, 08:05 PM
What tower do you have?

ZFT-4

Mastercraftdave
05-22-2012, 09:52 PM
For 2012, MC recommends towing with ZFT5P in the down position with the locks in place. They recommend against towing with the tower raised. Kind of the oposite of what was recommended in 2011.

They told us this on our X45 and not to tow with the cover on.

I dont think I would tow with the cover because of the two side straps will rub on the gel coat when attached to the trailer.

east tx skier
05-22-2012, 09:56 PM
Too bad you had to settle for them "N" decals... :D - j...u....s...t...s...a..y...i...n'...lol

Indeed, but they're only stickers. 8p

Nick911
05-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Towed 200 miles at 60 miles and hour yesterday with cover on, poles down, and tower ZFT4 up. I used shrink wrap where the cover touched and it all turned out fine except where there was no shrink wrap, got a bit scuffed. I haven't checked vinyl yet.

Only issue was one of the binimi poles came loose from tower. Will look at ordering custom trailer towing cover.

carnage
05-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Why chance it towing with the cover on ... There are too many things that can happen that are BAD !!

Scratch your Boat
Worse Gas mileage
Rip cover
Fly off on highway
Extra work