PDA

View Full Version : X-star wakeboard settings- Tips and advice?

REDLYNER
05-21-2012, 02:52 PM
I picked up an '05 X-Star this weekend and spent about 12 hours on it from Saturday through Sunday, much of the time was playing with the wake, speed, and ballast. I moved up from a direct drive Centurion, so it's almost like starting completely over. A few observations-

Rope length is between 60' and 65'
At full ballast (p/s/c) the wake was unreal on starbord side, but port was frothy at ~22mph.
With an empty boat (just driver), the best wake for our short rope seemed to be a full port and empty starboard and center.
23.5mph seemed to fast for this length of rope
No matter the speed, everyone who boarded said it was much harder on their backs than my direct drive. Are we going too slow? Why the extra strain?

What are you guys doing for your "perfect" setup? Just curious as to how it differs from mine.

I have a new rope arriving this week (65' - 75' adjustment) and two 350lb fat sacks left over from my direct drive. Just based on this weekend, I'm guessing that filling up all three stock ballast tanks, throwing one of the 350lb's in the port rear locker with 70' of rope at like 23.5 to 24mph is going to be a pretty decent little setup. But I'm just guessing.

Thoughts? Feedback?

I realize there is probably some over analyzing going on, but I enjoy physically shaping the wake for a perfect ride as the boat driver almost as much as I enjoy being pulled behind the boat.

krutzmart
05-21-2012, 03:12 PM
You really need to add more ballast. Make sure you have the right prop too.
750 in both rear lockers. (only fill full when surfing) its to much weight in the wrong place for wakeboarding.
You also need 150's under the front seats, these are for wakeboarding when you don't have alot of bodies, and if you reallly want jaz it up throw a 750 in you walk - thru to the bow. that's right on the floor in middle of your walk-thru.
The absolute best thing you could do is load it up with 11 hotties and yourself , thats why you need the extra ballast, the hotties won't be the weight you need, but this is the the x likes best.

Just my .02

Good Luck

Jerseydave
05-21-2012, 06:02 PM
I have the same boat, '05 X-star. Weight placement is key so I have disconnected my rear hard tanks. I run (2) 400's in the rear lockers and fill the KGB tank. For extra weight I put a 750 in the walkway sometimes, but not usually needed.
Most of us ride 70'-75' of rope anywhere between 21.7 - 23 mph. The wake is even by moving people around in the boat, not by leaving ballast empty on one side. If you cannot even your wake out by moving people around then something is wrong.

Here's a quick video with the extra 750 in the walkway, 7 people on the boat, I think speed is 24 mph? (can't remember for sure) maybe 80 feet of rope?

Josh Palma riding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYgr4Mn2Hkc

snork
05-21-2012, 08:26 PM
If you place 350# in the port locker you need the equivalent amount in the starboard locker
Get some lead shot about 300# and move it around the ports side under the observer seat or whats equivalent to the drivers weight. Distribute whatever shot thats left equally between port and starboard
The idea is to have equal weight distribution bow to stern and port to starboard otherwise the wake will not be even

swatguy
05-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Get a little in the nose on that boat. It needs some bow weight. How many people were in the boat with you messing around? The lean on V drives tend to be a bit more exaggerated requiring you to offset for the driver a bit more. Reason is the torque of the prop, engine in the rear and a few others, but you will need a little extra on the port side even if its just you, an observer, and a rider. This also becomes more apparent upping to a more aggressive prop. When I upped to my ACME 1235 Prop in my signature here I needed about 300lbs to offset the new torque.

At 23mph you should be having a supra clean wake with that little weight. I would add a 350 minimal to the walkway to start out even with just factory. Remember that if one side is washy, usually that side needs more weight.

willyt
05-23-2012, 05:51 PM
im planning on putting about 12 people in the boat, 2800lbs (pwt + stock) of ballast and riding at 24 mph at 75 ft this weekend. If i get on plane with that setup i'll shoot some pics over here.

snork
05-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Willyt, hope you have that thing propped correctly and at a min of 24mph
You're gonna have loads of fun

vision
05-23-2012, 11:04 PM
I have the same boat, '05 X-star. Weight placement is key so I have disconnected my rear hard tanks. I run (2) 400's in the rear lockers and fill the KGB tank. For extra weight I put a 750 in the walkway sometimes, but not usually needed.
Most of us ride 70'-75' of rope anywhere between 21.7 - 23 mph. The wake is even by moving people around in the boat, not by leaving ballast empty on one side. If you cannot even your wake out by moving people around then something is wrong.

Here's a quick video with the extra 750 in the walkway, 7 people on the boat, I think speed is 24 mph? (can't remember for sure) maybe 80 feet of rope?

Josh Palma riding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYgr4Mn2Hkc

Agreed. We run slightly more weight in all location, but our set up is the same as Jerseydave's.

Move a little weight to the side that is washing out when the rider is dead between the wakes. If you need to add more than 50 - 100lbs to one side, then you have weight hiding somewhere on the opposite side. BTW, never go by the ballast gauges. They are nearly useless.