PDA

View Full Version : Water inbetween the sub floor and the outer hull

nkorep2
05-21-2012, 02:07 AM
So I pulled the carpet, and stripped just about everything that was left in the boat. I removed the bilge, and then I unscrewed the automative floater switch. As soon as I removed the screws holding it in place, water started rushing out of the holes. So, I have water under the sub floor. Now, from what I understand there is foam in this part of the boat. Its a 1990 Prostar.

As I was sitting in the boat after pressure washing, I looked and noticed a "crack" by the observer seat. It seems like the joint is separating.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-05A9JY9nU9E/T7nL7bFOJrI/AAAAAAAACi0/fjPcxy3p1nM/s640/2012-05-20_17-06-31_342.jpg

Its about 2 feet long. Then I noticed the same thing, basically on all 4 corners of the boat. Is this something I should be super concerned with? Should I epoxy this "joint" in the fiberglass floor and seal it to forget it? :confused::confused:

And do I need a drain plug installed somewhere to drain the water that is already there?

Thanks,
Nikolai

markismm
05-21-2012, 10:26 AM
I had a similar problem on my S&S. I actually cut a hole (bid enough to fit the end of a shop vac in) in the subfloor just in front of the ski pylon and vaccumed all of the water out. There was a pretty good sized cavity in there. I filled it in completely with fiberglass resin and everything seems good. I actually noticed it first when I stepped down in the sump one day when doing some wiring and heard water squishing around. I drilled a test hole and water poured out. Not sure how it got there, but it has now been removed and filled in as described above. I took some video of the water shooting out of the test hole. It freaked me out at first, but everything is great now.

nkorep2
05-23-2012, 02:03 AM
should this whole be made in the very bottom of the bilge area, or in the sides, in the stringers?

Anyone else have any experience with this issue? Im tempted to not worry about it.

markismm
05-23-2012, 10:01 AM
I considered not worrying about it too, but my curiosity got the best of me. The water I was hearing was all in between the two inner stringers and under the sub floor of my bilge. Therefore, I cut a hole about four inches in front of my ski pole (towards the bow of the boat) with a rotozip tool with a preset depth on the blade to ensure I did not go too deep. After it was cut, water poured out. I let it sit for a while after sucking it dry, then sucked out the rest before I began to refill the hole with resin and glass.

nkorep2
05-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Is the hull construction the same on your 84 S and S as it is on my 90' prostar as far as the fiberglass is concerned? Im under the impression that that cavity should be filled with foam.

markismm
05-23-2012, 02:43 PM
The cavity I am referring to on mine is very narrow and was not filled in with foam. I know that most of the open areas around the stringers were filled in with foam, but the area directly below the sumps subfloor was open. The subfloor was glued/glassed in from what I can tell which left a cavity (which has now been filled in). If you can, try stepping on the subfloor in front of the ski pylon and see if you can hear water squishing around. This may give you some indication about what you are dealing with. If you do not hear anything squishing around, just disregard what I have said.

nkorep2
05-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Ive stepped there, and hear nothing. My fiberglass may be more solid than yours? Idk, Im still contemplating if I was fuss with drilling a hole or not. If I do drill a hole, I'll likely also install some sort of a drain plug so I can access it later if I need to.