PDA

View Full Version : 94' Prostar 205 Belt Squeal/Squeak?

shocker47
05-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Hey guys, I have a 94' Prostar 205 and just got the boat summarized. Last season this started to happen near the end and now it seems worse. Well when I start the engine cold or even warm I will her the belt squeal on idle and even more when i give it gas. I usually just wait about a minute or so for the squeal to stop then give it gas and go. Could this mean I need a new belt? Before I tried to tighten it and it helped a little bit but got back to being squeal. How can I check for the alignment? And what size belt does this take?

east tx skier
05-20-2012, 11:06 PM
When I had this start happening on my 93, a belt change solved the problem.

shocker47
05-20-2012, 11:18 PM
Any certain brand belt I should be using? Also what size/model belt?

east tx skier
05-20-2012, 11:22 PM
I actually took my boat to a local auto parts shop and matched it to a comparable truck engine. They even installed it for me. Ran me about $10.

Or, check skidim.com or a MC dealer. Belt sets are pretty cheap.

sp00ky
05-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Any certain brand belt I should be using? Also what size/model belt?

NAPA belt XL 7420 is what fits my 94 205. Buy 2 for a spare to keep in the boat and check to make sure rusty pulleys aren't eating the belts. Check for excessive belt dust.

93Prostar190
05-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Also check the edges of your pulleys to makes sure nicks, in the pulley are hurting the belt .... Loose belts make noise sometimes as well

ricford
05-20-2012, 11:49 PM
Mine was squealing last year, and I eventually noticed a very small drip from the circulating pump landing on the belt.

wicanefan
07-11-2017, 10:14 PM
Changing my Belt also, but cant figure out how to get bottom pulley off or at least how to get the belt under that pulley and around the top pulley and around the alternator ...Please help!
I have the proper belt and am ready to get this damn thing replaced
Thanks, Kids!

d2jp
07-13-2017, 08:37 AM
Changing my Belt also, but cant figure out how to get bottom pulley off or at least how to get the belt under that pulley and around the top pulley and around the alternator ...Please help!
I have the proper belt and am ready to get this damn thing replaced
Thanks, Kids!

Loosen the alternator bracket bolt, pivot alternator over to provide slack in the belt. Remove old, install new. Have a helper pivot the alternator back in place while you tighten the bolt. There should be just enough tension to keep the belt from slipping - it will have an inch or so of easy up/down slack between the pulleys. Some people will place a pry bar and pry the alternator in place for tension but I don't like to do that. Too much tension can result in premature bearing wear.

If you are trying to remove pulleys -- you're making it way to complicated.

mikeg205
07-13-2017, 10:49 AM
cut the old one off and get the new one on as nearly possible as you can... pop starter it will install itself.