PDA

View Full Version : Start / Stop button

Latin Flyer
05-20-2012, 09:40 PM
OK, let,s see if someone can give me real explanation about this ( sorry if it,s a stupid question, i,m mechanichaly challenged)

Why do i need to stop the engine holding the start stop button instead of just swiching the key off???

Thanks to all.

Jerseydave
05-20-2012, 10:33 PM
You have a start/stop button??? Any pics? I'm not familiar with one on any MC.
Usually our boats just have a keyed ignition switch and a kill switch with a lanyard.

Latin Flyer
05-20-2012, 10:43 PM
2012 x2, sorry on the pictures, i dont know how to upload them!

bcd
05-21-2012, 09:22 AM
The key will work to shut off the engine. If you turn the key off though, it resets your cruise wakeboard/surf settings to the stupid auto-level mode and starts emptying your ballast when you key on again. Using the start/stop button will save your wakeboard/surf settings.

Table Rocker
05-21-2012, 09:48 AM
The key will work to shut off the engine. If you turn the key off though, it resets your cruise wakeboard/surf settings to the stupid auto-level mode and starts emptying your ballast when you key on again. Using the start/stop button will save your wakeboard/surf settings.
I would say that is a pretty good reason to use the button!

08M3Sedanski
05-21-2012, 09:54 AM
It also keeps the music on while you are changing riders. If you turn off the key... you lose the tunes.

DeeeJay02
05-21-2012, 10:38 AM
WOW!.....thank you for this thread, I was going crazy every time we switch riders the tanks empty, I was getting so annoyed. I was looking thru the BIG manual and couldn't find anything. Now it makes sense.....thank you

AZX45OD
05-21-2012, 11:23 AM

Ding, ding, ding! NOW I know why my rider settings wouldn't work properly when I changed boarders. I will be using the off button from now on when switching riders. This is the kind of information that is invaluable but is hard to come by. My dealer didn't know...it is not in the manual...

malibu-dale
05-21-2012, 11:27 AM
I assume the "hour meter" doesnt keep running by leaving the key in the "on" position. I would assume the hour meter only operates when engine is running?---at least I would hope that is the case.

Quinten
05-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Indeed the hour meter runs only when the engine is on.

Do someone knows what the differece is between key position 1 and 2?

ski/hunt
05-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Maybe it has changed but on my 96 the key on, or one click before start, runs the hour meter. The key backward, or one click away from start (acc. Position) runs lights, and tunes but no hour meter. The prior owner of my prostar must not have known this---When the shop hooked up the computer to the motor they told me there was 43 hours less on the engine than on the hr meter....lot of time listening to tunes with the key in the on position.....

kgrove
05-21-2012, 05:10 PM
Damn... Wish my 2008 had this on/off switch. I use an iPod connection to the stereo. The ipod and connection re-initialize when you turn off the engine for a rider switch. Not only do you lose music, it takes a number of seconds after engine on to start playing again and about one in ten times it would fail and require a hard reset of the stereo and or iPod. To get around this I had them wire stereo power directly to the battery, but now I'm fearful of forgetting to leave the battery switch to on with the steel playing and draining the battery. My Perfect Pass still has to recycle, but it doesn't take too long (but does require that I reselect Cruise front the main menu.

Nice improvement, but what took MC so long to figure that one out?

Latin Flyer
05-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Thanks guy. But if you do not turn the key the hour metter WILL keep running.
So i guess not a real mechanical reason to use the off buton?

bpinhigh
05-21-2012, 07:55 PM
FYI Per the manual for my 2010 the hour meter only clocks above 300 rpms.

bjames
05-24-2012, 11:47 AM
To stop the engine using the Start/Stop button, Press the button for 3-4 seconds, the engine will shut off. :cool: