PDA

View Full Version : How to launch on a steep ramp?

fskof
05-20-2012, 06:07 PM
How do you guys launch from a steep ramp?
Today I was at a steep ramp and had the hardest time getting the boat off the trailer and then back on. The problem is I couldnt pull the boat off the trailer and then I backed the trailer in a little deeper then the bow eye wouldnt clear the v-block. I tore up the carpet on the v-block

Whats the secret?

The boat is a 2003 prostar 209 with a single axel trailer

tommyadrian5
05-20-2012, 07:10 PM
How far do you tow to your ramp? I guess a drop hitch could level out your trailer slightly, other than that i'm not sure...

Lars
05-20-2012, 08:44 PM
I have the same issue at shallow launches too. have to get the tires side-wall-deep to clear the v block with the bow eye. ps197.

Latin Flyer
05-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Liquid rollers! It,s a spray, like wd40 for carpet. That thing is unreal, i was not able to pull the boat in by hand before i used it.
WARNING, it is VERY sliperry, i would not unhook the boat till i,m sure it will slip into the water.

Jerseydave
05-20-2012, 10:20 PM
I've used a super steep ramp a few times at Smith Mt Lake VA. I'm talking put the suburban in 4WD LOW to get up this sucker!
To load the boat on the trailer I have to back the trailer in so the boat buddy is at the same level as the bow eye......it's in so deep the boat guides are totally under water but yet the cap where you put brake fluid in is still above water. (that is a steep ramp!)
After hooking the winch strap to the boat I have 2 people watch the boat guides as they re-surface to make sure the boat is centered on the trailer. It's a 3 person job.

The liquid rollers product sounds good....I just wonder if it hurts the gelcoat over time?

Sullivan
05-20-2012, 11:37 PM
I use a ramp that is pretty steep. For me, the best way I have found is to keep the trailer shallow. I have a tandem axle trailer and only back it in so the water comes up half way on the fender over the wheels. I then power up the trailer and the boat rides up the bunks to the boat buddy. This seems to be the only way I can get it to work.

onejdgreen
05-21-2012, 08:38 AM
When unloading, back the trailer as deep as you can to wet the bunks, if you don't use the Liquid Rollers (which sounds interesting...). This will allow the boat to slide better because the carpet will be wet. Same when loading. Wet the carpet all the way before trying to load. Drop hitch doesnt hurt either. What are you pulling with?

Barefooter92
05-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Launching is easy, I just bury the trailer and float it off. Problem is getting back on. I have to keep my boat centered as to not land her ontop of one of the guide poles. All while prop is disengaged.

Our ramp is so steep the only thing out of the water is the wench.

Brian B
05-21-2012, 12:35 PM
I took my vblock bunk off and re carpeted it in two pieces. Now there is a channel in between the two that allows the eyelet to slide in between.