PDA

View Full Version : LQ-9 Doesn't Fit??

87Craft
08-20-2005, 08:27 AM
I'm casually looking at 197's. What's the deal with all the LQ-9's? Seems like the air filters are crushed on all of them? Do all LQ-9 owners have this issue?

gene dobies
08-20-2005, 09:05 AM
No, not at all, mine is just fine. And a great engine I might add.

RobertT
08-20-2005, 10:32 AM
This should be a link to the 2005 manual, go to page 30...

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/local_links.php?action=jump&id=15

In the 2004 manual it had the LQ9 listed with about 330hp, so either it is a typo or they changed it.

Anyway, I think you should make note of the minimum octane ratings required, the LQ9 says 93octane is the minimum. If you are filling at a marina all the time, that may be a huge factor.

Just something to think about. I went with the MCX, but have ridden behind a LQ9 more than once. They are both great engines, it just seems like the LQ9 doesn't get into its powerband until it reaches higher RPM's, while the MCX seems to pull very hard from the start then the curve goes down. If the octane rating was not a factor, my guess would be get the MCX if you are primarily going to pull slow speed sports (high load, under 36mph. If you are going to operate in corrosive water or salt water, then no question the LQ9 is your best bet due to being a closed system.

Not knocking the LQ9, just saying it may not be for everyone.

For what its worth, I went wakeboarding with two identical Xstars, with large load in each, one with the LQ9 and one with the MCX. The LQ9 took several minutes to get on plane, while the MCX jumped up on plane quickly. That may have a lot to do with the prop, dont know, but like I said it just seems like the MCX curve is slanted towards the lower side of the RPM range while the LQ9 does not shine until it gets going a little.

LQ9 is very cool looking though:)

87Craft
08-20-2005, 12:26 PM
RobertT...i agree, it does look really cool.

This is what i'm talking about. I went to boattrader.com and every 197 with the LQ-9 has this to some extent.

gene, your's isn't like this?

Jim@BAWS
08-20-2005, 01:00 PM
87 CRAFT Here is a SUPER Clean 03 with 2 years of factory warranty
left. Will even take your 87 on trade

Give me a call
Jim (813) 996 2297

http://www.boattraderonline.com/addetail.html?80328804

ski_patrol_72
08-20-2005, 01:00 PM
Im curious to know the overall top end speed difference between the LQ-9 , MCX, and the L-18 on a prostar for example. I know props, elevation, air temp all make a difference. looking just for a general difference.

87Craft
08-20-2005, 01:17 PM
Jim@BAWS, the pic included in your ad shows the LQ- air filter is crushed even worse than the one in the picture i included. Does the motor cover press against the filter?

87Craft
08-20-2005, 01:18 PM
forgot to mention...no offense to anyone on the board, but yellow is not on my list of color choices.

jpattigr
08-21-2005, 01:33 AM
My LQ9 has a crushed filter just like the picture above!! Great motor and boat though. :eek:

ski_king
08-21-2005, 09:48 AM
Is the filter being crushed by something inside the motor box or is it being collapsed by the high amount of air being sucked thru it?

Maybe when they begin to get dirty and air flow is restricted, they collapse?

Are there any other engines that have a filter instead of a spark arrester? There shouldn't be much dirt in there other than belt dust.

RobertT
08-21-2005, 10:09 AM
MCX has the K&N filter too.

pilot02
08-21-2005, 10:40 AM
Powerslot 82
I'm with you, I think it may be a suction problem. If it were the cover, I'd think the whole filter would be crushed down.

RobertT
08-21-2005, 03:56 PM
You can never have too much suction:)

No way its that. If it is, then its WAY undersized and the engine cant breath.

My guess is that its too long of an engine for the stock engine shroud, and it wasn't worth making a new one just for this engine.

Anyone have one in a V-drive?

Workin' 4 Toys
08-21-2005, 09:40 PM
Im curious to know the overall top end speed difference between the LQ-9 , MCX, and the L-18 on a prostar for example. I know props, elevation, air temp all make a difference. looking just for a general difference.
My '03 X7 with the MCX will do 46 on the speedometer. I have yet to GPS test it, but others I have driven next to seem to think we are pretty close to accurate.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-21-2005, 09:45 PM
MCX has the K&N filter too.
Yes it does and it is an oval shape and would be fine, but with the PP it slightly tilts the oval shape and the higher part of the tilted filter touches the cover. Not enought to crush it, but you can see a filter mark inside the cover on the foam. Not an issue yet, but in 10 years there may be a wear spot. You can slightly see the issue on my avatar.
K&N has thousands of custom filters ready to order. Measure what you want, find it on the website, and then have a local parts shop order it for you. Just make sure the sq. inches is at least the size of what you have or bigger.
I have done this for a custom built vehicle I never would have guessed I would find a filter to fit. All it took was a few minutes of internet shopping and a week to get, and no more issues.

bepresto
08-21-2005, 09:50 PM
it is not the amount of air that the LQ-9 sucks in. it is indeed the motor box closing down on the air filter. and top end on this engine is all based on the prop that you are running. factory prop on mine tops out most of the time at 49 mph. that is running with just the usual ski equipment and one passenger.

rodltg2
08-23-2005, 12:02 PM
mine will do about 52 with one passenger. my air filter is crushed some too. it also tried to crap out on me again. wouldnt start just turn over. i disconnected the battery to reset the system and it started right up. whats up with that is this normal? Jim?

gene dobies
08-23-2005, 12:32 PM
RobertT...i agree, it does look really cool.

This is what i'm talking about. I went to boattrader.com and every 197 with the LQ-9 has this to some extent.

gene, your's isn't like this?

No it isn,t. Mine is untouched, not crushed.

gene dobies
08-23-2005, 12:37 PM
it is not the amount of air that the LQ-9 sucks in. it is indeed the motor box closing down on the air filter. and top end on this engine is all based on the prop that you are running. factory prop on mine tops out most of the time at 49 mph. that is running with just the usual ski equipment and one passenger.
Mine tops out right at 49mph also. Don't know how yours gets to 52 Rod, that is nice.

rodltg2
08-23-2005, 01:09 PM
i dont know, does powerslot make any difference? it seems like this motor really doesnt get going till about 36.

gene dobies
08-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Hey Rod, do you have powerslot, I don't, just curious if that gave you the little edge?