PDA

View Full Version : Impeller

jjr
05-20-2012, 09:17 AM
Looking for advice. Impeller went yesterday , I have new one in hand, does boat have to come out of the water or can it be done while afloat. 94 prostar 190 Indimar ? Any advice appreciated.

03 35th Anniversary
05-20-2012, 09:24 AM
It can be done in the water. But if you have never done it before pull it out of the water or you'll have a steady stream of water coming in the boat with you.

jjr
05-20-2012, 09:27 AM
looks easy when you say stream gushing??

03 35th Anniversary
05-20-2012, 09:29 AM
looks easy when you say stream gushing??

It would actually be coming in at a faster rate than if you left the plug out. But the same amount of force.

BrooksfamX2
05-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Is the pump housing below the waterline??

jjr
05-20-2012, 09:37 AM
No its above think that will help ? Also thought I might pull hose and block ?

ttu
05-20-2012, 09:43 AM
if you are on the water why couldn't you simply close the water intake valve?

CantRepeat
05-20-2012, 09:56 AM

Not all boats have them.

And water will push up through the raw water line regardless if it is or isn't above the water line.

I had a gasket go bad on mine one year when the bilge pump kept kicking on I finally lifted the engine cover to find water streaming out of the raw water pump. This was while the engine was off.

If you take into account the plug is 3/4 and the water line is 1 1/4 it's almost double the amount of water coming in the boat.

I did replace the gasket while on the water. With the impeller in it was semi blocking the water port on the pump but what was still flowing in a good rate.

BrooksfamX2
05-20-2012, 09:56 AM

Good point. And if the pump housing is above the waterline, water should not gush in. Water does not flow up hill very well.......:rolleyes:

BrooksfamX2
05-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Not all boats have them.

And water will push up through the raw water line regardless if it is or isn't above the water line.

I had a gasket go bad on mine one year when the bilge pump kept kicking on I finally lifted the engine cover to find water streaming out of the raw water pump. This was while the engine was off.

If you take into account the plug is 3/4 and the water line is 1 1/4 it's almost double the amount of water coming in the boat.

I did replace the gasket while on the water. With the impeller in it was semi blocking the water port on the pump but what was still flowing in a good rate.

Hmmm....well I have a shut off valve on the intake. Hopefully my PM's will ensure I dont need to change it on the lake. Never had one go out in 30 years off boating. I change them before that happens.

CantRepeat
05-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Hmmm....well I have a shut off valve on the intake. Hopefully my PM's will ensure I dont need to change it on the lake. Never had one go out in 30 years off boating. I change them before that happens.

Yeah, I do the same. Change them out every year regardless of how they look and put the old one in the boat as a back up. Good thing I kept the gasket from the year before as well.

You know, I wouldn't know why the water would come in if the pump is abovr the water line. I assumed mine was above but it doesn't make sense. I guess I need to check it out the next time we go out.

jjr
05-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Just made the change no waer came in .I disconnected hose first no water . Real easy job. Running back in shape . Really appreciate all the help and reply's thanks.

coz
05-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Just made the change no waer came in .I disconnected hose first no water . Real easy job. Running back in shape . Really appreciate all the help and reply's thanks.

On mine it can be changed in the water without any gushing out at all, do others have this problem?

CantRepeat
05-20-2012, 10:50 AM
On mine it can be changed in the water without any gushing out at all, do others have this problem?

Well, I'll have to guess and say the Vdirves must have a lower raw water pump then DDs.

CantRepeat
05-20-2012, 10:51 AM

Good news, glad you got it fixed.

BrooksfamX2
05-20-2012, 11:11 AM
You know, I wouldn't know why the water would come in if the pump is abovr the water line. I assumed mine was above but it doesn't make sense. I guess I need to check it out the next time we go out.

I could see where a little swell action could put pressure on the pickup line as the boat rocks forcing a bit in, but at rest the water will find equilibrium so if the housing is above the waterline, water should not come in. If you are sacked out, that could put the boat lower in the water also.......

ricford
05-20-2012, 12:28 PM
I've never done my impeller in the water, but I check my strainer every day (weedy conditions), and water never comes in from the intake hose. Isn't that the same thing? I think the only water you would get is water draining from the engine, not up from the lake.