PDA

View Full Version : R&R exhaust risers

robin
05-19-2012, 11:07 PM
I am having to R&R my risers due to leaky gaskets. The boat is at the lake, and i am attempting to gather tools and parts to take up with me to service it. Can anyone tell me the size of the allen wrench i need for the riser bolts?
Thanks,
Robin

tim79mc
05-20-2012, 08:46 AM
I did this last year on my 1979 S&S. I don't remember the wrench size - just bring a set & you should be fine.

The hard part is getting the old gasket material off. For that I used putty knives, utility knives, solvent, ... it did not want to go easily. After I got the material off, i buffed both the exhaust manifold and riser with a wire brush to make a smooth surface for the gasket, otherwise you'll have leaks. I used an electric drill to make this step go a lot faster.

To make this job easier, I took the riser off the exhaust pipe. While it was off, I chased the drain plug threads with a tap. The plugs had a plastic plug in them that had become stripped and threads were plugged with corrosion.

I'm pretty sure I got the replacement gaskets from skidim.

Good luck!

waterlogged882
05-20-2012, 08:58 AM
I am having to R&R my risers due to leaky gaskets. The boat is at the lake, and i am attempting to gather tools and parts to take up with me to service it. Can anyone tell me the size of the allen wrench i need for the riser bolts?
Thanks,
Robinlots of tools will work.

Cloaked
05-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Thanks,
Robin

I'd also go prepared with some 120 grit sandpaper, a razor-type scraper, a box end wrench, that may very well need filing down on one side to fit in the bolt carriage molded body, or if it's an allen, you'll need to cut about 1/2 of the short end off to get it to also fit into the bolt carriage molded body. A disc grinder will cut the allen wrench.

Cleaning the mating surfaces from the old gasket material is the time consumption. Otherwise, it's straight forward if you go properly prepared. If it's a PCM, you'll have a direction-specific placement for the gasket (there is one closed port). If it's an Indmar, the gasket orientation is irrelevant. Be sure and get the right gasket too. You do not need any other goop or sealant for the gasket. And here's another tip from the tablespoon.... use anti-seize on your threaded connections. And if you are going to remove the risers, replace the exhaust hoses. They will look perfect on the outside and can be deterioriated on the inside. Look at the link in my sig line that will show you a picture of a bad hose. Aside from that one, I just dissected another hose yesterday with 422 hours. It was blistered and beginning to fall apart on the inside.

.... Take your toolbox that has a variety of sizes and you'll fair much better. And Alfred will not do it for you...

Batman....

robin
05-24-2012, 07:35 PM
What I am looking for is for someone who has removed the risers to let me know what size of allen wrench I need to take. I dont have many larger in size allen wrenches, so will have to go buy one. I am hoping to only purchase ,and cut/ shorten it to make a custom tool to get it into the back bolts on the risers. Anyone make this "custom" allen wrench know what size it it? Please let me know. It looks larger then my largest...a 1/4" one i think. thank you.

Cloaked
05-24-2012, 09:29 PM
What I am looking for is for someone who has removed the risers to let me know what size of allen wrench I need to take. I dont have many larger in size allen wrenches, so will have to go buy one. I am hoping to only purchase ,and cut/ shorten it to make a custom tool to get it into the back bolts on the risers. Anyone make this "custom" allen wrench know what size it it? Please let me know. It looks larger then my largest...a 1/4" one i think. thank you.
3/8"

When I went to the allen wrench place, they did not have the 3/8" so he gave me the size they had in metric, closest to 3/8 standard. We mic.ed it and it was 2/1000s (larger) of the 3/8". Worked for me quite well.

I first started in on it with a hack saw. Forget that. Find an an angle grinder and cut it off then smooth the edges with a rasp file. Cut it down to about 60% of it's length (on the short side). Done deal.

Batman.....

robin
05-24-2012, 09:48 PM
thanks for the info cloaked. I will probably try and cut it with a dremel cutting wheel. they usually can cut through stuff like that pretty good. thanks again.

robin
05-30-2012, 11:28 PM
Well, I purchased a 3/8 allen wrench and took pride in my tool making perfection as i shortened it, deburred it, and sang to it. Got to the the lake with my made with love tool and what do you know? Wrong size! It required a 5/16 allen! Luckily i managed to find a 5/16 in the bin. Only a hack saw and NO vise at the lake to shorten it.....yikes! Well, i got it done, and the repair passed ops testing. The first pic shows half time, the second shows victory after testing.

robin
05-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Upon my inspection with light/ mirror, my manifolds/ risers still appear to be in good shape. The boat is 13 years old and has 391 hours, fresh water only. When is everyone else finding they need replaced? The last thing I want is for them to go bad and leak into my cylinders. Thanks, Robin

Cloaked
05-31-2012, 04:33 PM
Well, I purchased a 3/8 allen wrench and took pride in my tool making perfection as i shortened it, deburred it, and sang to it. Got to the the lake with my made with love tool and what do you know? Wrong size! It required a 5/16 allen! Luckily i managed to find a 5/16 in the bin. Only a hack saw and NO vise at the lake to shorten it.....yikes! Well, i got it done, and the repair passed ops testing. The first pic shows half time, the second shows victory after testing.Glad you got it fixed. Oddly as it is, I purchased a 5/16 and had to go back for a 3/8. Hope all went well....