PDA

View Full Version : What did I do?? 1985 MC SS Gauge replacement

DH9441
05-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Hello,
I purchased a full set of gauges to replace the originals on my 1985 MC S/S. Now I have zero power. Nothing works...zero nothing. The only life I get is from the volt meter. When I turn the battery on the volt meter shows 13ish but only if the blower switch is in the on position. (with the key in the off position) If I turn the key it goes back to dead. Other than that no life in anything. I replaced each gauge one by one being so ever careful to mate up the correct wires exactly how they were. When I took out the gauge cluster I turned off the battery first. I check the main breaker on the back on the motor it seems fine. Iím at a loss on how a breaker would have tripped but is there some other hidden one? I just bought this boat and this was my first project....bummer-
thx-

mtajpa
05-19-2012, 11:19 PM
Make sure your battery is not dead. Batteries will show voltage until a load such as the blower is applied.

DH9441
05-20-2012, 11:17 AM
TY, but checked that. Battery is good.

gweaver
05-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Visually inspect your connections- maybe you've got a short where two wires are touching. Any connections feel warm/hot? Re-check all connections? The fact that it's completely dead would lead me to think it could be one of the main connections at the battery or a ground. You said you 'turned off the battery'- is it on a switch? Is the switch corroded/bad? Maybe a little wiggling to rub corrosion off?
G

JimN
05-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Hello,
I purchased a full set of gauges to replace the originals on my 1985 MC S/S. Now I have zero power. Nothing works...zero nothing. The only life I get is from the volt meter. When I turn the battery on the volt meter shows 13ish but only if the blower switch is in the on position. (with the key in the off position) If I turn the key it goes back to dead. Other than that no life in anything. I replaced each gauge one by one being so ever careful to mate up the correct wires exactly how they were. When I took out the gauge cluster I turned off the battery first. I check the main breaker on the back on the motor it seems fine. I’m at a loss on how a breaker would have tripped but is there some other hidden one? I just bought this boat and this was my first project....bummer-
thx-

Purple is connected to Ignition ON, Black is Ground, Blue is Illumination. The dash has a ground buss and all of the gauges should be connected to this by daisy-chaining the wires. If you have a bad terminal in the line, the whole thing stops working. The Hot leads may be daisy-chained, too. You'll need to use a voltmeter or test light to find out where the problem is.

The lanyard is in place, right?

thatsmrmastercraft
05-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Whenever I get really weird things happening electrically, it almost always turns out to be a bad ground. I would start checking the ground for the fuse block and then start checking gauges.

Have you verified the path of battery voltage to the fuse block?

JimN
05-21-2012, 02:56 PM
Whenever I get really weird things happening electrically, it almost always turns out to be a bad ground. I would start checking the ground for the fuse block and then start checking gauges.

Have you verified the path of battery voltage to the fuse block?

If I suspected this, I would use a test light and connect the clip to the ground buss under the dash and poke the tip into a good ground point on the engine if the wire isn't long enough to reach the battery negative.

DH9441
05-21-2012, 11:31 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. I checked and doubled checked all the connection. They are clean and look good. However, I'll check once again.

The battery is on a quick disconnect from located on the battery. It's good shape. I haven't seen a ground buss under the dash....Not sure if I have one or perhaps I over looked it. I wired the new gauges identical to the old M/C gauges. They are not daisy chained together. The used ones I purchased were. I took a pic of both gauge clusters before I started. I'll post it here soon.

Not sure what this one means "The lanyard is in place, right?"

Thx

JimN
05-21-2012, 11:51 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. I checked and doubled checked all the connection. They are clean and look good. However, I'll check once again.

The battery is on a quick disconnect from located on the battery. It's good shape. I haven't seen a ground buss under the dash....Not sure if I have one or perhaps I over looked it. I wired the new gauges identical to the old M/C gauges. They are not daisy chained together. The used ones I purchased were. I took a pic of both gauge clusters before I started. I'll post it here soon.

Not sure what this one means "The lanyard is in place, right?"

Thx

You know the safety switch near the throttle or on the dash? THAT lanyard. If it's not on the switch, your dash goes dead.

Don't worry, it has happened to many TT'ers.

MasterKraftS&S
05-22-2012, 12:14 AM
My '84 has no lanyard - Anyone see one on an '85?

madcityskier
05-22-2012, 12:19 AM
None on my 85. I really think those are amongst the most counterproductive things ever put on a boat. I've never seen anyone actually connect one to a pfd they are wearing, sure have seen them fail and need to be bypassed though.

DH9441
05-23-2012, 12:21 AM
Yeah, no Laynard on my SS. Heres a pic of both guage clusters before I started the swap out.

http://s840.photobucket.com/albums/zz324/dhart6/?action=view&current=Gauges.jpg

DH9441
05-23-2012, 12:25 AM
Where is the fuse block?

mzimme
05-23-2012, 08:34 AM
The fuses are the little round knobs next to each switch on the dash. Check the one above the key hole. They just twist counter clockwise and pull out of their holes.

DH9441
05-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Ya, know that may just be it!! I'll check. I can tell the ignition swith has been replaced so it's newer and in good shape. However, could be a loose ground or tripped fuse etc.... I'll check tonight. TY

Oh wait, hmmm that wouldn't explain why nothing works on the boat...blower, Bilge pump, nav light etc.. :-(

glgisler
05-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Here's a rather obvious (embarrassing, etc.) idea prompted by these statements: "When I turn the battery on the volt meter shows 13ish but only if the blower switch is in the on position. (with the key in the off position) If I turn the key it goes back to dead." Might it be possible that with that aftermarket ignition switch that you're actually starting in ACC position and switching to OFF? Or maybe something wrong with the switch? You shouldn't be getting a voltage reading with the ignition switch off. Just a thought........

liledgy
05-26-2012, 12:02 AM
Take a pair of jumper cables and bypass your positive cable from the battery to the solenoid. I had 13.5 volts too, until I put load on it. The connection going around the battery was bad. Bypassing it led me to it.

DH9441
05-26-2012, 01:07 AM
I gave up and took it to my long term boat mechanic. Turns out the '85 SS had an Amp gauge. I swapped it out with a Volt gauge but wired it up just like it was as Amp gauge. He took out the orange wire. We traced it back to the engine wiring harness disconnected there as well. It still doesn't really make sense to me but all is working now. Glad I get to take her out this w'end. On another note...what is the best way to clean out to speedo pickups? While I had the gauge cluster out I used my air compressor to blow out the tubes. I had disconnected the tubes from the pickups prior. I was surprised how much dirt blew out. I changed out the speedo gauges as well. I need to change out the packing as well. I bet it has never been done.

Cloaked
05-26-2012, 07:07 AM
I gave up and took it to my long term boat mechanic. Turns out the '85 SS had an Amp gauge. I swapped it out with a Volt gauge but wired it up just like it was as Amp gauge. He took out the orange wire. We traced it back to the engine wiring harness disconnected there as well. It still doesn't really make sense to me but all is working now. Glad I get to take her out this w'end. On another note...what is the best way to clean out to speedo pickups? While I had the gauge cluster out I used my air compressor to blow out the tubes. I had disconnected the tubes from the pickups prior. I was surprised how much dirt blew out. I changed out the speedo gauges as well. I need to change out the packing as well. I bet it has never been done.Use a paperclip. I carry one on my keychain... there used to be available a small gadget that would act in the same manner as a paperclip but it seems to have gone away over time. The newer type pitot tubes are redesigned to not clog as easily but I can't see much difference.

DH9441
05-26-2012, 08:07 AM
Ok, will do TY-