PDA

View Full Version : Boat lift questions

197 TT
05-19-2012, 08:44 AM
Just purchased a house on the that comes with a boat lift. Don't know too much about it yet. I have a 197 that I will be storing on it. It was previously used for an I/O, but I think I can adjust the bunks enough to accommodate an inboard. Some questions I have, are two bunks typical (since my trailer had four) and are they enough for my boat? Are there general guidelines to determine weight capacity based on cable thickness? Also, assuming the bunks don't need adjustment differently and capacity won't be an issue, I will likely store my buddy's '06 Xstar on it occasionally.

Any thoughts, recommendations or info sources? thanks

CantRepeat
05-19-2012, 08:49 AM
I don't own a lift and don't store my boat on one.

What I have noticed is that 2 bunks is enough and they should be lined up to support the boat under the stringers.

hcoog17
05-19-2012, 08:58 AM
I agree with ^. I have an x30 on a Hydrohoist. The lift has 2 bunks. It has been on there for 2 years without any issues. My trailer does have 4 bunks.

73blue
05-19-2012, 09:43 AM
2 bunks is ok, but there's a big weight difference between a 197 and an X-star. The lift may be able to handle your boat but not his. You really need to get the lift model # and look it up, then carefully inspect the cables, winches and all that. Any idea what size I/O was stored on it before?

barefoot
05-19-2012, 11:30 AM
I have two bunks on my lift and I used the trailer bunk pattern as a guide to set it up. Originally, it was set up for and I/O. I got the hardware from the local pier service guy and made the bunks myself.

Check the tag on the lift for the detention, weight, etc. Right now, we're shooting in the dark trying to answer weight related questions. If you're buddy wanted to put his xstar on your lift and it wasn't rated for a boat that heavy, I would pull it on and crank it up enough so the boat wasn't floating. Shouldn't do much harm assuming you're not lifting the boat clear out of the water.

swatguy
05-19-2012, 12:18 PM
As mentioned above check the weight capacity. The other thing you want to measure is the height of the bunks above the crossmembers. I/o's don't need the clearance like you 197 will for the tracking fins. Just make sure not to pull to far into it as your prop will touch as that sits lower then tracking fins.