PDA

View Full Version : Water in the battery tray

BrianT
05-19-2012, 12:49 AM
I have water in the battery tray in my X7. I lifted the battery out to feel to see if there is a drain anywhere, nothing..... So my question is am I missing something and why on a low nose boat would they not put a drain in the betters area? Now I have to try to scoop out a bunch of water every time I take on some water over the nose?

amcmac
05-19-2012, 08:18 AM
I'm right there with you. My X7 is the same way. I am looking for a solution to this problem. I'd like to add a drain into the bilge if possible.

MattsCraft
05-19-2012, 08:52 AM
Battery Box? This is what I have for my 2 batteries.

amcmac
05-19-2012, 09:42 AM
On the X7/197, there a built in battery box, sort of. It is a hole in the floor with a cover. That battery box pictured would definitely protect the battery if water got down in the hole. I'm interested to know if anyone has done anything to drain the water out of the battery hole.

holdenh2o
05-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Look forward to solutions...

JR8778
05-19-2012, 11:29 AM
if the battery should spill acid it would go down the drain as well. No acid in my bilge.

BrianT
05-19-2012, 12:04 PM
I guess I get a "turkey baster" and suck the water out every time......

swatguy
05-19-2012, 12:12 PM
There is no.drain into the bulge due to the fact the want acid contained. The water beta in the from condensation mostly on the battery. Same happens on my 205v. I just check it every now and then. Buddy drilled a hole in his to the bulge, but I am more on the sealed box in case of an acid leak.

DBR
04-13-2013, 01:52 PM
Do you know the location of where he drilled a drain hole? I can't tell where it may drain to the bilge in my 1999 X-Star

Legolamb
04-13-2013, 02:04 PM
I would not drill any holes, I think a few have done this thinking any liquid would drain into the bilge area, and found out it didn't. I had the same problem with my 190, and have found that a battery cover larger than the size of the storage box works just fine. You could even use a tupperware or some sort of plastic container upside down to cover your battery and the box below.

JimN
04-13-2013, 02:20 PM
I have water in the battery tray in my X7. I lifted the battery out to feel to see if there is a drain anywhere, nothing..... So my question is am I missing something and why on a low nose boat would they not put a drain in the betters area? Now I have to try to scoop out a bunch of water every time I take on some water over the nose?

Condensation. Your battery stays cold after the air warms and moisture condenses on the surface, settling into the tray when it drips. Stuff a paper towel into the water to remove it occasionally. If it was a leaking battery, you wouldn't like the effects.

shocker47
04-18-2013, 03:02 AM
I would get a battery cover, also try to get all the water out of the compartment.

LittleFuss
04-18-2013, 10:48 AM
my 1997 190 did the same thing all the time. Did not want acid in my bilge either JR..However I ended up putting a shammy under it and rung it out after every other trip out or so...I guess you could do it every trip if you wanted too or had more water in there than I did...usually after 1 trip it was only 1/8" or so, so the shammy sucked that up pretty easy....

CBRENT
04-18-2013, 10:57 AM
My 86 always had a little water in the box. Wether it came from water getting in after a rain or from a long day of use. It def did not help that it was right under the observer seat where every one would sit with wet shorts. It was never an issue, it never interfered with the battery or the cables.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-18-2013, 11:11 AM
I just put a battery box cover on the battery and problem is solved.

Table Rocker
04-18-2013, 11:29 AM
One of those car wash sponges works great to dry out the battery box.

TxsRiverRat
04-18-2013, 12:00 PM
not to jack the thread, but the floor under my battery box caved in... Anyone else have this happen? Is there any easy repair without having to take the entire boat apart?