PDA

View Full Version : Using Cruise Control with Zero Off ...

EA2010
05-19-2012, 12:09 AM
I hit the water yesterday in my new X-25. So good.

Been playing around with setting up a good SURF profile - but I'm having an issue with launching and getting the cruise to stabilize. Here's what happens ...

With Zero Off cruise set to 10.8 mph, I nudge the drive into gear and then launch the rider by taking the throttle to 9 o'clock (the throttle stick starts at 12 o'clock, of course). The cruise accelerates to about 7 mph ... but then it stops (the throttle just seems to die). You have to "re-throttle" to 6 o'clock, which gets the boat on plane (and up to 11-12 mph) and then you have to throttle-back until it hits the 10.8 mph setting.

Obivously, this is not "cruise control" as too much manual intervention is required.

Does anyone have some advice for me?

It would be much appreciated!

EA2010
05-19-2012, 12:12 AM
Here's the good ship 'wake n bake' ready to roll ...

BrianT
05-19-2012, 12:32 AM
Here's the good ship 'wake n bake' ready to roll ...

Super nice!!!!!

bjames
05-19-2012, 01:50 AM
I hit the water yesterday in my new X-25. So good.

Been playing around with setting up a good SURF profile - but I'm having an issue with launching and getting the cruise to stabilize. Here's what happens ...

With Zero Off cruise set to 10.8 mph, I nudge the drive into gear and then launch the rider by taking the throttle to 9 o'clock (the throttle stick starts at 12 o'clock, of course). The cruise accelerates to about 7 mph ... but then it stops (the throttle just seems to die). You have to "re-throttle" to 6 o'clock, which gets the boat on plane (and up to 11-12 mph) and then you have to throttle-back until it hits the 10.8 mph setting.

Obivously, this is not "cruise control" as too much manual intervention is required.

Does anyone have some advice for me?

It would be much appreciated!

Sounds like the same problems I was having with Perfect Pass. What happends if you just push the throttle to 6 oclock position from the start? Does it still over shoot. I know in PP, adjusting the KDW setting supposably fixes this. I am still trying to get my PP to work properly. IMO by integrating the cruise with the Medalion interface, screwed things up. My Moomba LSV with Perfect Pass (basic version) was rock solid and dead accurate, now its all over the place:(

EA2010
05-19-2012, 05:28 PM
We were out again this morning. I got things working a little better. Will continue to experiment on the water ... and then post some suggestions here.

I'd rather be on the water than in front of this computer! Back to the lake! :cool:

EA2010
05-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Super nice!!!!!

Thanks dude!

jcube4osu
05-20-2012, 08:40 PM
I just picked up an X25 to replace a 209 and am having issues withthe PP as well. When I try to actvate a rider I get a different rider and cant get to the rider I want to select. They have uploaded a newer version so hoping it will address the issue.

EA2010
05-21-2012, 08:10 PM
They have uploaded a newer version so hoping it will address the issue.

Where can I find this upload?

EA2010
05-21-2012, 08:25 PM
By the way, I found the 2010 B.I.G. Manual: http://www.mastercraft.com/files/manuals/2010_BIG_Manual.pdf

The 2012 screen is quite different - and the fact that the manual doesn't really address the reality of how Cruise Control works in the boat makes reading it totally useless ...

Below, I will offer my experience based upon my first 10 hours on the water:

EA2010
05-21-2012, 08:43 PM
I found the B.I.G. to be super intuitive in terms of setting up (and editing) riders. You simply scroll thru each field to set the ballast tank levels, speed, attitude plate and surf tabs. Super easy!

Hint: if the B.I.G. shows your ballast tank(s) as being less than 100% full, but water is pouring out of your overflow, you should consider setting the ballast tanks to 90% on each rider profile. This avoids the B.I.G. trying to fill an already-full tank when you hit the ACTIVATE button. (There must be a way to calibrate the fill level of each ballast tank, but I have yet to get to that stage in the process.)

After you hit the ACTIVATE button, you are taken to the Cruise Control screen. Hitting CRUISE ON automatically lowers the attitude plate and both surf tabs and ensures your ballast tanks are filled to the set level. (I like this feature as it really helps get the boat (and rider) out of the water quickly.) You are now set to launch …

With my Zero Off cruise set to 10.8 mph, I was initially taking the throttle to 9 o'clock... but that’s when I experienced the boat “stalling” around 7-8 mph. It felt like a total power loss (as if I completely pulled back the throttle). I would have to apply more throttle MANUALLY to get the boat to respond again. By that time, the rider could fall (do to the sudden loss of pull) – but if they didn’t I could get the boat on plane again in about 1-2 seconds and continue with the session. Note: I still didn’t get to the AUTOMATED launch I was hoping for, but that was due to the rain setting in and us having to leave the lake for the weekend. More on that issue in a few weeks!

Now, once I had the rider launched, here’s where I learned about how Zero Off Cruise Control actually works. The cruise speed was set to 10.8 mph and the boat speed (bottom right of the B.I.G. in orange font) showed 10.8 mph … BUT it took me a while to see the ACTUAL SPEED setting, which is directly above the boat speed (in white color font). This is the actual GPS-based speed of the boat, which was always a full 2 mph LOWER than the boat speed. With the session still under way, I used the UP ARROW to increase the cruise speed to around 12.5 mph. The boat responded instantly and soon enough the ACTUAL SPEED showed as 10.8 mph, which is what I was looking for in the first place.

To conclude (for the time being): I am pleased that I can now get the rider to the correct speed for surfing; however, the launch using cruise control still needs to be resolved. I’m going to do some more reading and research (including searching for the illusive 2012 B.I.G. Manual) over the next few weeks until we can get back to the lake.

ALL COMMENTS WELCOME! Hopefully we can all work together to get this resolved!

EA2010
05-27-2012, 01:56 PM
I heard from my dealer that they are still waiting on the 2012 B.I.G. Owners Manual from Medallion.

In checking Medallion's web site, I see that they still only have the 2010 B.I.G. manual listed:

http://www.medallionis.com/Product_BIG.html

I'll post the 2012 manual when I get my hands on it ...