PDA

View Full Version : Odd sound...

bcampbe7
08-19-2005, 09:19 PM
I was out skiing this evening and noticed my boat ('96 PS190) making a very faint whirring (is that a word???) noise when I would put it in gear. It would make the noise for about 10 seconds then go away. This is the first time I have heard the noise. Anyone have an idea of what to look for. It sounded like it was coming from the front of the engine, like the water pump.

mcprostar197
08-19-2005, 09:37 PM
My boat and my friend's '04 X-7 make a whistling type noise randomly when you put it in gear and only for a couple seconds. I just figured it was a normal sound to hear occasionally.

bcampbe7
08-19-2005, 11:18 PM
It may be normal, I just can't remember ever hearing it... :confused: It does make the normal sound in reverse.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-19-2005, 11:46 PM
It may be normal, I just can't remember ever hearing it... :confused: It does make the normal sound in reverse.
Turn the radio up as loud as it goes.... Can you still hear it, No, it must be normal?!?!
Seriously, check you fluid level, and make sure it is not milky in color.

east tx skier
08-19-2005, 11:47 PM
My father in law's boat, when it got the new shaft, makes a ringing noise when you put it in and out of gear. Comes and goes. Mechanic took another look and said everything looked ship shape. Haven't had a bit of trouble with it in the last year since it got the new shaft/noise.

bcampbe7
08-20-2005, 01:57 AM
Turn the radio up as loud as it goes.... Can you still hear it, No, it must be normal?!?!
Seriously, check you fluid level, and make sure it is not milky in color.

Did check the oil and it was fine.
Oh, and yes it does go away when the radio is turned up. :)

bcampbe7
08-20-2005, 01:57 AM
My father in law's boat, when it got the new shaft, makes a ringing noise when you put it in and out of gear. Comes and goes. Mechanic took another look and said everything looked ship shape. Haven't had a bit of trouble with it in the last year since it got the new shaft/noise.

Thanks ETS... Guess it may be normal and I have just not paid close enough attention.

bigmac
08-20-2005, 02:15 AM

Good to know, since my boat makes exactly the same ringing noise.