PDA

View Full Version : Wiring 1983 SS Coil Help Please

Runnit
05-18-2012, 08:58 PM
I just go the new Pertronix electric ignition conversion and the flame thrower 2 coil. I did not label the wires I removed from the old coil. I need to know which side I hook the purple wire too on the coil and which the gray wire goes too? Stupid mistake but I don't want to guess wrong. Thanks a ton, I did bypass the ballast by just connecting the wires.

Excited to try and get her running. Truthfully wishing I just go a whole new billet distributor with EI but I will see how this goes.

markismm
05-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Purple to Positive and Grey to Ground (or negative side).

imracin68j
05-19-2012, 02:34 AM
Do yourself a huge favor and put an HEI on it. It loses the coil and you will never have to set the gaps again. I think you can get a new HEI for about 60 bucks on Ebay.

Runnit
05-20-2012, 12:43 AM
Purple to Positive and Grey to Ground (or negative side).
Thanks for the help, she started right up and ran great!

thatsmrmastercraft
05-20-2012, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the help, she started right up and ran great!

Put the same thing on my '77 today. Might want to check the timing if you haven't. Mine was off a degree or two.

markismm
05-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Not a problem. Glad to help. I actually just put a brand new billet Pertronix Distributor in my boat this season. If you ever have to replace the module in your factory Prestolite, consider going with the system i have. It is fantastic and cost about the same as the replacement of the Prestolite module itself.