PDA

View Full Version : MasterCrafts and Motorhomes

Shooter McKevin
05-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Post photos, experiences, and advice about towing, launching, traveling with your MasterCraft and motorhome.

I toured around quite a bit last summer in an older Class C towing the 190. I had many apprehensions about my first boat trips in a motorhome but most things went better than expected, with a few surprises. I know there's a few others on the board that travel that way and I've been meaning to start a motorhome thread for a while.

I'll call out Sodar and BrooksfamX2, I'm pretty sure you guys will have tons of knowledge to share... and I suppose MariStar-Man as well...

BrianT
05-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Good one dude! Lets see some RV's!

carnage
05-23-2012, 03:14 PM
It's tough getting gas. Especially in a small gas station in the middle of nowhere. AND the X45 is taller than my RV ! ! !

Havn't tried to launch using the RV yet. I'm not that brave :)

Brian B
05-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Subscribed!

I have a 38' fifth wheel toy hauler that I'm selling to get a super C motorhome so I can use it for boating! No better way to have a "lake house" in Arizona!

Sodar
05-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Subscribed!

I have a 38' fifth wheel toy hauler that I'm selling to get a super C motorhome so I can use it for boating! No better way to have a "lake house" in Arizona!

I rented an '07 Super C a few years back and loved the way that thing pulled and how many people it slept. Very cool rig! Those Jayco Senacas are VERY nice.

Agreed that the best waterfront lots are only available via RV!

Sodar
05-23-2012, 04:03 PM
We do an annual trip with a motorhome every year and I love it. Back-up cameras are a necessity (most every newer HM has one). They make everything easier. I am able to get the boat in and out of our 12'x25' storage unit without issue.

I have launched with the motorhome before, but most places around here on the lakes & river will launch your boat as a courtesy.

Recently, my wife & I fell into a deal with her family member who no longer wanted their 2006 motorhome, so we took the payments over on it. I've always said that I never wanted to own an RV, but the deal was pretty good to turn it down.

GT500 MC
05-23-2012, 04:08 PM
We do an annual trip with a motorhome every year and I love it. Back-up cameras are a necessity (most every newer HM has one). They make everything easier. I am able to get the boat in and out of our 12'x25' storage unit without issue.

I have launched with the motorhome before, but most places around here on the lakes & river will launch your boat as a courtesy.

Recently, my wife & I fell into a deal with her family member who no longer wanted their 2006 motorhome, so we took the payments over on it. I've always said that I never wanted to own an RV, but the deal was pretty good to turn it down.

Sodar, or anyone - always wondered how or if you could launch the MC w/a motorhome. We've thought about renting one for a vaca but then was wondering how we'd get the boat in/out of the water without having a second vehicle there. Do most of the newer Class C's have the power/traction, etc. to get in and out of most ramps?

DemolitionMan
05-23-2012, 04:14 PM

Nice RV Cameron!

Sodar
05-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Nice RV Cameron!

Not mine. That was the rental. I think I have a pic of the newly acquired rig somewhere on my phone.

Shooter McKevin
05-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Not mine. That was the rental. I think I have a pic of the newly acquired rig somewhere on my phone.

I remember you saying that you were looking at buying a Super C. Is that the family unit you are talking about? Looking forward to the pics...

BrooksfamX2
05-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Well now,

I have been towing with a motor home for 10+ years. 99% of my boat towing and launching is done with the motor home, Class A. Backing the motor home down the ramp is not much harder than a pick up other than getting it turned around to get started down the ramp. I avoid the really tight places as much as possible. My wife gets out and spots for me when needed, using 2 way radios or the cell phones to communicate.

The biggest thing to be aware of is the combined length and turning radius. The key is planning your exit strategy before you get bound up into a place you cannot maneuver in, i.e. gas stations, parking lots, boat ramps, camps sites, drive ways, etc. Always know your max height for clearance also. I have a sticker on the dash with the max height just to remind me.

We love our motor home because it lets us take our “home” almost anywhere we want. In the “off-season” we tow a Jeep Wrangler to the mountains, lakes or beaches and have a rig to explore in. Dunes, trails, snow and mud. Makes taking the MH out in the winter much more fun.

Many of our boating friends tow with motor homes also.

This will be the first year towing the X2 with the MH, but was towing a 20' Crownline for 12 seasons before this one.

Motor home and boat dont match now..........:o

Forrest-X45
05-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Subscribed!

Super C's are the bomb. The Jayco Seneca 36FS is on my wish list. I want a class C but the standard class C with the Ford chassis can't tow my 45 plus who wouldn't want the Duramax for an engine in a super C? :headbang: The only used ones I have seen recently are in SoCal and one in Texas. My buddy has the Seneca 35GS and it is very nice and drives very well. There are 8.1 super C's out there for less money but they don't tow as well as the Duramax Kodiak models. For now I will stick with my truck camper but if the right deal for a 36FS came along..........

SkiDog
05-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Here's a motorhome trip to CSM back in 09.

Brian B
05-23-2012, 04:48 PM
I'm sponsored by a RV dealer about 100 miles from me and can use an RV when I want, but there's just something about having your own that's all stocked up and ready to go!

I used this International chassis Endura for a race a couple months ago. Yanked my 10K trailer like nobodies business. King sized bed and class a-like appointments.....

Sodar
05-23-2012, 04:54 PM
These are all the rentals from the past 4 summers. All have been diesel. IMHO, diesel is the only way to go if towing. My favorite was the green Monaco Windsor pusher with a 550 Cummins. It was so nice.

2006 Four Winds Chateau Super C (33')

2007 Forest River Super C (34')
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=79258&stc=1&d=1337798681

2005 Beaver Santiam (40')

2006 Monaco Windsor (40')

Below is the Motorhome we acquired. It's not a diesel pusher, but for a Class A gasser, it is pretty nice. Has a F'd V-10 that is very thirsty, but like I said, it was a deal that could not be passed on. The interior is pretty nice. All Cherry cabinets and leather seats. The layout is excellent with a restroom in the center, so you do not have people walking through the rear bedroom to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Should work out well for us...

Floor Plan
http://www.roamingtimes.com/rvreports/1/images/fleetwood-bounder-class-a-motorhome-floorplan-35E.gif

Sister Vehicle :)
http://rvshoponline.com/images/uploads/photos/PICT0003_3.JPG

BrooksfamX2
05-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Mines the 8.1 gasser with a Banks system. Does just fine. I think the GM 8.1 has a bit more HP and torque than the Ford V10.

mramerman@gmail.com
05-23-2012, 07:00 PM
We just got a slide in TC. Towing the x14v to some great lakes in Eastern Washington for awesome ski time and staying at some gorgeous campgrounds.

Have backed the boat into our garage (when home for the trip) with TC on the rig; however, we generally take the TC off and leave at the campsite before launching on the ramp.

gatorguy
05-24-2012, 01:52 PM
I don't have an RV, yet. I've been wanting one for a while now though. I have 5 kids, and it would sure make traveling a ton better. We drive all over the place, and I hate staying at hotels. Even though they are small kids, they still make us get 2 rooms which starts to add up. Also feeding them and stopping for the bathroom can really prolong a trip. Not to mention the whole world of RV/boating it opens up. My wife is not much for camping, and eating in the dirt.

I haven't really looked at any yet, so where would a novis start? I'm thinking Class A diesel pusher for my large fam. However it seems that the only ones I have seen are set up for only 2-4 people.

Any suggestions to point me in the right way would be great.

Brian B
05-24-2012, 01:58 PM
I haven't really looked at any yet, so where would a novis start? I'm thinking Class A diesel pusher for my large fam. However it seems that the only ones I have seen are set up for only 2-4 people.

Class A motorhomes generally cater to 2 people. Look into large C's or Super C's. They'll have the bed space for your whole family without having people sleeping on the floor.

mzimme
05-24-2012, 02:02 PM
This thread makes my jealousy go through the roof.

Some day...

Sodar
05-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Fleetwood and Forest River make Bunkhouse Diesel Pushers, but honestly for a family of 7, I would be looking at a Super C with a bunkhouse.

The first Super C I rented was set-up with the cab over bed, 2 bunkbeds, dinette bed,sofa bed and finally the master bed. We literally slept 8 adults in it and could have fit more if any of the singles had a significant other they would share the bed with. It was not the most comfortable situation, but it emphasizes the room the Super C's provide.

Shooter McKevin
05-24-2012, 05:23 PM
What would the seating / seatbelt situation be for a family of 7 in a large Class C?. The 24' we used had 4 seatbelts around the dinette and the 2 in the cab. The kids car seats went in perfect at the dinette. I have an awesome photo but it's on the computer at home. I'll post it up tomorrow.

It was sure a nice way to travel. When the wife needed the bathroom I said "ok, I won't crash while you're in there" When the kids (3 and 4 last year) needed to go, it's nothing to pull over. When the kids needed a snack, the wife opened the fridge and put something together. Sandwiches, left overs, cheese and crackers, ice cold beverages. I actually liked that part of it a lot too... eating less garbage while we traveled.

Shooter McKevin
05-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Here's a picture of our rig at Kicking Horse Ski Resort in Golden B.C. Our friends got married there last summer at the lodge on top of the mountain.

My buddy loaned me the motorhome for the summer. He doesn't use it. I told him I'd buy it from him and he said "why would you buy it when you can use it for free whenever you want"

DJ 50
05-24-2012, 05:52 PM
What would the seating / seatbelt situation be for a family of 7 in a large Class C?. The 24' we used had 4 seatbelts around the dinette and the 2 in the cab. The kids car seats went in perfect at the dinette. I have an awesome photo but it's on the computer at home. I'll post it up tomorrow.

It was sure a nice way to travel. When the wife needed the bathroom I said "ok, I won't crash while you're in there" When the kids (3 and 4 last year) needed to go, it's nothing to pull over. When the kids needed a snack, the wife opened the fridge and put something together. Sandwiches, left overs, cheese and crackers, ice cold beverages. I actually liked that part of it a lot too... eating less garbage while we traveled.

So you mentioned family of 7. You, wife, 2 kids 3 and 4. Are you Mormon with multiple wives, twins, or just not telling us ages on the other kids? Something ain't adding up here. Also you only mentioned 6 belts. Did you just pick whoever was being the bad kid/wife at the time and make them go without the belt?

Shooter McKevin
05-24-2012, 05:55 PM
So you mentioned family of 7. You, wife, 2 kids 3 and 4. Are you Mormon with multiple wives, twins, or just not telling us ages on the other kids? Something ain't adding up here. Also you only mentioned 6 belts. Did you just pick whoever was being the bad kid/wife at the time and make them go without the belt?

Bwaahaaahaaaa.... love it....

No, I have 2. Gatorguy was asking about a unit for his 5 kids.

Sodar
05-24-2012, 05:58 PM

I think your reading comprehension skills are lacking.

Shooter never said he had 5 kids... gatorrguy did. Shooter just asked how many seatbelts there were and commented about his experience last summer.

You follow?

Shooter McKevin
05-24-2012, 05:58 PM
I see the confusion. I guess I should have started a new paragraph after my question about the number of seatbelts in larger motorhomes, or put it in a separate post...

Good post DJ... I'm still chuckling...

DJ 50
05-24-2012, 06:02 PM
I think your reading comprehension skills are lacking.

Shooter never said he had 5 kids... gatorrguy did. Shooter just asked how many seatbelts there were and commented about his experience last summer.

You follow?

Yes they are. I had forgotten about gatorrguy's earlier post when I read Shooter's....my bad, and now I'm glad to hear all of Shooter's wives and kids get a seatbelt.

Sodar
05-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Except for that real pain in the butt wife who gets her own "seatbelt" on the roof of the RV.

BrianT
05-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Here's a picture of our rig at Kicking Horse Ski Resort in Golden B.C. Our friends got married there last summer at the lodge on top of the mountain.

My buddy loaned me the motorhome for the summer. He doesn't use it. I told him I'd buy it from him and he said "why would you buy it when you can use it for free whenever you want"

Nice looking boat Shooter!!

Shooter McKevin
05-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks Brian.

Shooter McKevin
05-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Below is the Motorhome we acquired. It's not a diesel pusher, but for a Class A gasser, it is pretty nice. Has a F'd V-10 that is very thirsty, but like I said, it was a deal that could not be passed on. The interior is pretty nice. All Cherry cabinets and leather seats. The layout is excellent with a restroom in the center, so you do not have people walking through the rear bedroom to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Should work out well for us...

Floor Plan
http://www.roamingtimes.com/rvreports/1/images/fleetwood-bounder-class-a-motorhome-floorplan-35E.gif

Sister Vehicle :)
http://rvshoponline.com/images/uploads/photos/PICT0003_3.JPG

I just saw that the floor plan of yours shows seatbelts on the sofa. I guess that answers my 7 seater question. A seatbelt on the recliner would be the ultimate!! I'm sure I could get one of my wives to drive while I nap.

Nice unit Sodar, that layout looks really sweet.

MasterKraftS&S
05-24-2012, 07:40 PM
This thread makes my jealousy go through the roof.

Some day...

This WHOLE TT FORUM makes my jealousy meter off the charts!!:love: I'm such a glutton I come back for more!

ski/hunt
05-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Nothing better than taking the rv to the lakes!! I use my Monaco Windsor for work, so the beast had some miles on it.... In the 400,000 numbers. With the kids and dog it makes the nights nice to hang out at a campsite with a nice shower and the amenities of home right there. I have launched the prostar with the rig but it wasn't comfortable!!!! The water had gone down at the ramp several feet from our visit 3 weeks prior so the ramp was much steeper than before. I had figured no problem then we get there and the angle of the 40 rv on the ramp and the weight in the rear and boat was crazy.....And the crowd I had gather to watch just made it all the worse!! I know they were just waiting for the rear tires to get into the slippery slim and see the whole thing slide in the drink!! So I figure on any long trips in the future I'll ask someone to drop it in for me, other wise the lakes we camp at are only 2 hrs. so the wife follows in our suv to dunk and retrieve----nice to have a shuttle to go grab gas and more beers anyway!!!
Pic of new Bimini and getting ready to hook up79309

Shooter McKevin
05-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Great way to travel!!

BrianT
05-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Looks comfy!!!