PDA

View Full Version : stereo remote

patrhodes
05-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Dash mounted stereo remote suddenly stopped working. I've check wiring and fuses, any other ideas? If I need to replace has anyone done this and where could I find one? Thanks!

CantRepeat
05-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Might help if you said what stereo model what remote and so on.

02ProstarSammyD
05-21-2012, 08:33 AM
yep shoot some info. If its a clarion 2" or whatever they are I have one sitting in the garage I'll sell you dirty cheap

patrhodes
05-22-2012, 04:29 PM
Pretty sure it's a Clarion but I'll confirm this weekend when I'm at the lake. Thanks!

AZX9
05-25-2012, 12:41 AM
I just replaced my 9 year old head unit which required a new remote and remote wire. From the back of the head unit (if on the passenger side) the cord should go over towards the outside hull and up high under the deck. It should run through some PVC pipe that will be glassed to the deck. It will run up to the bow and around to the dash. You should be able to tape the new cord to the old one and use the old one as a fisch. You will need to pull the speakers to reach and pull the cord around. Also the front and side bow cushions. Over all you should be able to gain access under the dashes and through holes. Biggest obstacle for me was removing the side panel the remote was attached to. I ended up busting up some bolt attachments trying to get behind the panel. The plastic broke around the bolts. Could not find away to loossen and remove them. Had to use a torx driver on the outside and a wrench on the back side. Could not gain access of the back side. Your hands will be full of fiberglass when done.

patrhodes
05-25-2012, 10:40 AM
Sounds like a ton of fun! Overall how many hours invested in this little project?

02ProstarSammyD
05-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Sounds like a ton of fun! Overall how many hours invested in this little project?

Depends. Not sure what boat you have. You can get to mine from the back with tiny fingers and prayers. Most of the time you have to remove or loosen the side panel. The remote is held in by a bracket and 2 small nuts. You can lay down with your head under the dash and try to get your hand behind it. If not plan on removing the side panel which is a pita. Be very careful with the side panel holes. They will rip. if you do rip them put some finish washers over top and it looks pretty good. other than that yea its a pain. you could just be lazy and put one in the cupholder but I think thats pretty boojey.

BTW you don't have to replace the wiring like azx9 did unless you get a different pin remote than what is in the boat. The remote has a plug that is like 3" long so its right there by the remote.

patrhodes
05-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Boat is '99 SportStar open-bow. I climbed up under the dash this weekend and the remote is indeed remote. Couldn't get my hands on it! It is a Clarion stereo system and remote. I was reading that there is a fuse or fuses on the back of the main stereo unit? Could it be that? I'll attempt to check that out next. Perhaps just live with it until I can have dealer look at it?

AZX9
05-31-2012, 12:52 AM
Boat is '99 SportStar open-bow. I climbed up under the dash this weekend and the remote is indeed remote. Couldn't get my hands on it! It is a Clarion stereo system and remote. I was reading that there is a fuse or fuses on the back of the main stereo unit? Could it be that? I'll attempt to check that out next. Perhaps just live with it until I can have dealer look at it?

When you say "remote" do you mean wireless. Is it possible it has a battery?

patrhodes
05-31-2012, 08:34 AM
I don't think it's wireless.

Todd X14
05-31-2012, 07:01 PM
Dash mounted stereo remote suddenly stopped working. I've check wiring and fuses, any other ideas? If I need to replace has anyone done this and where could I find one? Thanks!

Dash Mounted stereo remote....Clarion...Good Luck!

patrhodes
06-04-2012, 11:43 AM
I take it from your reply I'm SOL?

02ProstarSammyD
06-04-2012, 12:08 PM
no he just means its gonna be a pita

AZX9
06-06-2012, 12:40 AM
be careful i ripped out the bolts that hold on my side panel trying to get behind the panel. If yours is like mine I have bolts I literally can't get to to the inner side to put a wrench on.

patrhodes
06-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Thanks for that info not sure I want to tackle this myself. Perhaps just live with it!

02ProstarSammyD
06-07-2012, 10:21 AM
be careful i ripped out the bolts that hold on my side panel trying to get behind the panel. If yours is like mine I have bolts I literally can't get to to the inner side to put a wrench on.

Easy fix though. Throw some finish washers on it and actually looks as good or better than stock. Don't be scared of it. Just take your time and you'll be fine. Nothing worse than no way to control tunes

AZX9
06-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Easy fix though. Throw some finish washers on it and actually looks as good or better than stock. Don't be scared of it. Just take your time and you'll be fine. Nothing worse than no way to control tunes

I bought a stainless washer to fix it but I would not call it a "finish" washer. I will have to really do some investigating how to get to two of the three damaged bolts. On one end the panel has a closed end. In the front it's open and you can reach behind. Just can't reach back far enough.

02ProstarSammyD
06-08-2012, 11:20 AM
I bought a stainless washer to fix it but I would not call it a "finish" washer. I will have to really do some investigating how to get to two of the three damaged bolts. On one end the panel has a closed end. In the front it's open and you can reach behind. Just can't reach back far enough.
Pretty sure I got to mine from the back or it was through the throttle box. Either way its not that hard. Its tight but once you get a socket on it you are gold. Taking out the seat makes it much more comfortable(done it both ways).

I did the stainless washers and didnt like it. Came back with these
http://www.primefasteners.com/images/washers/countersunkfinishwshrs.gif

looks like a clean factory install with a lil flash. I actually like it more than before.

AZX9
06-09-2012, 01:35 AM
I looked at those when I got the washer and they didn't have one large enough. Maybe I'll check somewhere else. I'm not following you on the throttle box. My throttle just has a handle sticking out the side of the panel. No box per say to take off and reach through. Getting a washer and bolt started you need to put a finger on it. From the back side its closed off and you cant get an arm behind it. Ive only found access laying on my back under the driver console.

AZX9
06-11-2012, 12:36 AM
I put on the 1" ss washer and it fits in the hole pretty good. I took a look at the shifter and it has a plastic silver decorative panel that is about 18" long. I'm guessing if I somehow remove the shifter handle I can gain access behind the panel to fix the other two broke bolt holds with washers. Anyone have experience taking off the shifter handle?

02ProstarSammyD
06-11-2012, 03:49 PM
I put on the 1" ss washer and it fits in the hole pretty good. I took a look at the shifter and it has a plastic silver decorative panel that is about 18" long. I'm guessing if I somehow remove the shifter handle I can gain access behind the panel to fix the other two broke bolt holds with washers. Anyone have experience taking off the shifter handle?

I'll try to take a pic of the washers today if it'll stop raining. The 18" or so long trim plate covers your shifter assembly. It is connected with 2 plastic wingnuts which you can get to from the passenger floor. Once you get that off your shifter assembly will become exposed. You remove one small allen screw from the bottom of the shifter itself and it will slide off. Once you unbolt the assembly from the panel you can gain access to the other bolts from there. I'm almost 100% sure you can still get to them without going this route but I think it was just b/c I have skinny arms and a high tolerance for pain.