PDA

View Full Version : Snowmobile guys, when is the last time you've seen one of these?

Maristar210
08-19-2005, 08:02 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words. It's a 1975 Mercury 440
Sno-Twister with a top speed of about 85 MPH. Its a real blast from the past especially with the snowmobile crowd.

Stevehttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/mercsnowmobile002.jpg

Maristar210
08-19-2005, 08:03 PM
More at

www.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389

mcprostar197
08-19-2005, 08:06 PM
85 mph????? That is FAST for such an old sled....

Maristar210
08-19-2005, 08:07 PM

It's really true. Geared right they reach the century mark, all back in '75 Whooda thunk it???????

erkoehler
08-19-2005, 08:48 PM
WOW, that could be in the snowmobile hall of fame :D

ski_king
08-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Very Nice! There was a time when I wanted one of those!

I had my 78 Kawasaki up to 100 before under perfect conditions.

mcprostar197
08-19-2005, 09:35 PM
I had my 78 Kawasaki up to 100 before under perfect conditions.

WOW. That is really fast. I think I'm too much of a wuss to go that fast on a snowmachine. I think the fastest I've ever gone on one is 50 or so, but then again, if I'm riding its in the pow around 11,000 feet, and not on flat straight old railroad beds.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-19-2005, 11:42 PM
When you can get that up to 100 in the moguls, let me know. Or even get it above idle before it throws your back out.
Back then, they were good for one thing, straight and wide. Wandered like crazy. Back then we had Rupps and John Deers. Couldn't afford the fast ones, I guess we had a Polaris 340 that put a hurtin on most at the time, don't recall the year right now.
Now if it don't do 120mph there must be something wrong with it.
And to think you probably did those numbers with no studs or cleats. Noone thought about having to stop!! :eek:

parks_jr_55
08-20-2005, 12:37 AM
Snowmobiling is what MasterCraft owners do when they can't ski.

I have hit well over 100 on my Arctic Cat sled. The gauge stops at 100 but it keeps on accellerating well after that.

Bongo
08-20-2005, 01:35 AM
Going 50 MPH on one of those old sleds feels more dangerous to me than 100 MPH on one of the newer sleds. Suspension, width of skis, length and width of track, braking, etc.

Ah...need a little winter with the hot weather we're having...

Bongo

erkoehler
08-20-2005, 01:44 AM
Going 50 MPH on one of those old sleds feels more dangerous to me than 100 MPH on one of the newer sleds. Suspension, width of skis, length and width of track, braking, etc.

Ah...need a little winter with the hot weather we're having...

Bongo

100 is still very dangerous. Even on a lake. You hit a ice heave, you even jump some moguls and you can kiss your arse good bye! Most of the places where I snowmobile and from what I understand where Workin 4 toys snowmobiles they don't have the greatest response times with the emergency vehicles. Especially when you are 50 miles out in the sticks or in the middle of a lake somewhere.

bigmac
08-20-2005, 02:14 AM
100 is still very dangerous. Even on a lake. You hit a ice heave, you even jump some moguls and you can kiss your arse good bye! Most of the places where I snowmobile and from what I understand where Workin 4 toys snowmobiles they don't have the greatest response times with the emergency vehicles. Especially when you are 50 miles out in the sticks or in the middle of a lake somewhere.

50 mph speed limit here in Minnesota, even on the lakes. But people don't get killed or hurt nearly so often at high speeds on the lakes as they do on the trails. Couple of beers and just about any sled can go zero-to-pine tree in a couple of seconds and still be well below the speed limit.

I suppose the level of idiocy behind many snowmobilers has always been there, but today's sleds can make that idiocy absolutely spectacular. I've been a hard-core snowmobiler for 25 years, about as long as I've been seeing snowmobilers in Emergency Departments, and I'm at the point where I virtually NEVER hit the trails on weekends anymore.

erkoehler
08-20-2005, 02:18 AM
We do hit the trails pretty often on the weekends, but usually don't head out until all of the families are off the trails and then ride until 4 in the morning. That way, you can atleast see the headlights of on coming traffic 99% of the time before they are on top of you. Riding late, you also come across alot of groomers making for awesome trails!!!! :D

erkoehler
08-20-2005, 02:19 AM
one more: :D

bigmac
08-20-2005, 02:33 AM
We do hit the trails pretty often on the weekends, but usually don't head out until all of the families are off the trails and then ride until 4 in the morning. That way, you can atleast see the headlights of on coming traffic 99% of the time before they are on top of you. Riding late, you also come across alot of groomers making for awesome trails!!!! :D

When my son was little (he's 6' 5" now), we'd go out on the trails around here every weeknight - good incentive to finish his homework.

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/18813240.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/39067739.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/39067732.jpg

erkoehler
08-20-2005, 02:37 AM
Footing in the summer, and sledding in the winter :D
Although, this year I may also try some fooin in the winter :eek:

mcprostar197
08-20-2005, 02:49 AM
Man do I wish that my parents didn't sell our snowmobiles along with our place that we used to have in the mountains. I miss riding them sooooo much. Hopefully I'll have a new one someday.

erkoehler
08-20-2005, 02:56 AM
It is a very fun hobby, but is also very expensive.

Why do I have to love all the expensive hobbies???

mcprostar197
08-20-2005, 02:59 AM
Why do I have to love all the expensive hobbies???

Yah, no kidding. I bet my parents wonder the exact same thing about me.

SteveO
08-20-2005, 09:28 AM
We don't see many of those in TX. The only time we do is when someone imagrates to the country of TX from those other NAFTA places and didn't sell it before they left. It does look like fun. It reminds me of a trip to Utah when we went on sleds to the back bowls. That was awesome. For about a half a second it makes me wish we got snow here. Our winter wear is a drysuit.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-20-2005, 09:50 AM
A shot of a leisure weekend in a Midwest Winter.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-20-2005, 11:06 AM
Another....

Workin' 4 Toys
08-20-2005, 11:10 AM
My wife's sled. I only had it up to 118 on the "Dream-o-meter", but I am working on it.:)

bigmac
08-20-2005, 11:32 AM
My wife's sled. I only had it up to 118 on the "Dream-o-meter", but I am working on it.:)

That Viper is a really great sled IMHO. I had one before my current 4-stroke Vector, and my son's Viper is triple-piped, reeds, ported, and re-tracked. My lord that thing does scoot.

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/39067727.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/39067726.jpg

Workin' 4 Toys
08-20-2005, 12:29 PM
I have not and will not repipe it. Its got about 125hp now, with a pipe and rejet should be near 155. But its tooooo noisy. Even the quiet ones are illegal and will get you a fine where we go, and they check like hawks. Besides, the noisy sleds are what close trails. It's got a clutch set up from Simon CPR, new 1"track from USA tracks and 192 stainless steel studs and 8"bars. It is the perfect sled for my wife (it no slouch for me either I might add), it hauls *ss and it is the most comfortable ride in the trails. It is probably the most comfortable sled I have ever riden. It is nothing to do some trails at 70-80mph. And with the new track when we hit the 2-3 foot powder, it eats it up. Very fun, and some magazines have rated it among the best ever sleds. And it has what some say the most dependable engine yamaha has ever produced.
Not one issue with it yet. Other than I wasn't happy with the stock yokohama track.

parks_jr_55
08-20-2005, 12:30 PM

I know you go faster than 100 especially when you have one of the faster sleds out there. F7 Firecat.

Is that Fence Lake Lodge in the second picture?

Workin' 4 Toys
08-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Bigmac,
I must say your camera takes some outstanding pictures. The clearest I have seen on this site by far.

erkoehler
08-20-2005, 12:55 PM
I know you go faster than 100 especially when you have one of the faster sleds out there. F7 Firecat.

I have been over 100, and it is nuts. The scenery just is FLYING by, it is all a blur.

Yeah that is Fence lake lodge in the picture, back when they used to be a restaurant there. I believe that they closed it down to make condos???? Are they still closed??? Only go there in the winter. Was really good food.

bigmac
08-20-2005, 01:04 PM
Bigmac,
I must say your camera takes some outstanding pictures. The clearest I have seen on this site by far.

Thank you. Photography has been a hobby for many years. Digital photography has been a revelation - finally allowing me to get rid of the nuisance of the darkroom. I generally use a Nikon D2H digital SLR and some pretty high-end lenses. It's a heavy kit, especially in a Computrekker backpack for 200 miles on a snowmobile. But, life is all about the toys, after all... :)

http://pbase.com/hmac

JDK
08-20-2005, 01:29 PM
I generally use a Nikon D2H digital SLR and some pretty high-end lenses.

http://pbase.com/hmac

That's cheating!!!
The rest of us are using cameras that fit in our shirt pockets. 8p

erkoehler
08-20-2005, 02:59 PM
That's cheating!!!
The rest of us are using cameras that fit in our shirt pockets. 8p

Usually it is a Sony Cybershot for me.

Thrall
08-20-2005, 03:02 PM
[QUOTE=parks_jr_55]Snowmobiling is what MasterCraft owners do when they can't ski.

QUOTE]

Amen, brotha!!

Can't wait to fire up the ole' 800 and smell that 2 stroke smoke and clean mountain air!

mcprostar197
08-20-2005, 03:15 PM

haha. Fence Lake Lodge was the first place I ever rode on a snowmobile. They were all two man machines, and unfortunately I was too young to drive them. I rode on my sister's sled and she started going really fast, and my dad got soooooo damn pissed off at her for going that fast with me on the back, and then made me ride with him the rest of the time.

bigmac
08-20-2005, 03:15 PM
[QUOTE=parks_jr_55]Snowmobiling is what MasterCraft owners do when they can't ski.

QUOTE]

Amen, brotha!!

Can't wait to fire up the ole' 800 and smell that 2 stroke smoke and clean mountain air!

I switched to a 4-stroke this past year. Kinda wierd...quiet, no smell, no oil. I admit, after 25 years of ring-ding-dings, I like it...

mcprostar197
08-20-2005, 03:21 PM
Amen, brotha!!

God the 2 stroke smell is the best! I love when i'm snowboarding and either ski patrol or maintenance people drive up the mountain on their sleds. I can smell that gas the rest of my run down.

erkoehler
08-20-2005, 04:11 PM
[QUOTE=Thrall]

I switched to a 4-stroke this past year. Kinda wierd...quiet, no smell, no oil. I admit, after 25 years of ring-ding-dings, I like it...

I can honestly say that I would miss the smell :D

Workin' 4 Toys
08-20-2005, 10:40 PM
[QUOTE=Thrall]

That is the best sales pitch Yamaha has. I almost bought into it last year. I am glad I did not. Don't get me wrong, the motorcycle engine in a sled is impressive. Have seen the same motor in a quad and it hauled *ss but it was about 300 pounds lighter than the 4cyl sleds. At almost 600pds, it better be comfy, quiet, and smooth, because they certainly can't compete on the lake unless you put about 6-7K into it with a turbo. We found a few guys on the trails last winter that had to jump start theirs with their trucks because there is no back up system for starting, key and battery only. When its 25below zero, those batteries are solid blocks of ice, and wouldn't be much good.
Two friends of mine ordered attaks. We shall see how they run.
They sure do sound good.
But I will keep my oil burner for now, that why I run Klotz oil, it smells awesome. Almost as good as runnin 110octane in my old GTO, its almost that nice.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-20-2005, 10:43 PM
God the 2 stroke smell is the best! I love when i'm snowboarding and either ski patrol or maintenance people drive up the mountain on their sleds. I can smell that gas the rest of my run down.
This almost sounds sarastic. Not sure if it is or not, but it sure is a trademark of a two stroke. And if it don't smell, it must not be runnin' same goes for my truck, Diesel.
Not that a 4 stroke or gas job doesn't smell, you just don't catch people sniffing exhaust pipes.:)

6ballsisall
08-21-2005, 12:27 AM
I am not a sledhead but I always did enjoy the smell of a 2 stroke engine exhuast.

Im with you workin, the smell of burnt diesel gets my blood pumpin. I much rather enjoy the smell of burnt diesel out of a Cummins over a Duramax or Pstroke though. Pstrokes smell to sweet.

Maristar210
08-21-2005, 01:00 AM
Whoa,

I did start a little somethin with this. Just postin pics duuuude. happy Sunday!!

Steve

bigmac
08-21-2005, 01:09 AM
[QUOTE=bigmac]

That is the best sales pitch Yamaha has. I almost bought into it last year. I am glad I did not. Don't get me wrong, the motorcycle engine in a sled is impressive. Have seen the same motor in a quad and it hauled *ss but it was about 300 pounds lighter than the 4cyl sleds. At almost 600pds, it better be comfy, quiet, and smooth, because they certainly can't compete on the lake unless you put about 6-7K into it with a turbo. We found a few guys on the trails last winter that had to jump start theirs with their trucks because there is no back up system for starting, key and battery only. When its 25below zero, those batteries are solid blocks of ice, and wouldn't be much good.
Two friends of mine ordered attaks. We shall see how they run.
They sure do sound good.
But I will keep my oil burner for now, that why I run Klotz oil, it smells awesome. Almost as good as runnin 110octane in my old GTO, its almost that nice.

Sigh...Although I'm sure MasterCraft TTAdmin doesn't care ;) if we argue snowmobile brands, I've seen enough snowmobile brand chauvinism to last me plenty, including fist fights in bars over such a silly notion.

My first snowmobile was a new AC Panther back in 76 and between me, my wife, and 2 kids, I've owned and wrenched more than 40 snowmobiles in the last 30 years, several from each of the 4 current brands. I ride a mimimum of 3000 miles per year here in Minnesota as well as Montana and the Snowy Range in Wyoming. I've seen Cats, Doo's, Polaris and Yammies all dead on the side of the trail at one time or another and have had more than one of each die under me too. I won't say which brand has left me stranded the most because it doesn't matter.

Snowmobiles today are all well made, well designed. Some are better in some areas than others. I could argue the virtues and pitfalls of every sled out there, including yours, but in the end, we all ride the model and brand of machine that suits our particular wants and needs in that particular year. My dealer in Brainerd has been a close friend for 20 years and they sell Yamaha, Polaris and Ski Doo. When I trade our current sleds in next year, I dont' have a clue yet what I'll get. I like the Yammie 4 strokes, but the competition in the category sled I ride is getting hotter each year between the brands, and frankly, I don't care what color it happens to be.

Glad you like yours.....it's a great hobby, isn't it?

parks_jr_55
08-21-2005, 01:42 AM
Whoa,

I did start a little somethin with this. Just postin pics duuuude. happy Sunday!!

Steve

Some of us cant use a MasterCraft year round.

We dont sit on TMC all day.

I want to try snowboarding behind a snowmobile. I don't think it would be as forgiving as water.

parks_jr_55
08-21-2005, 01:46 AM
[QUOTE=Workin' 4 Toys]

I heard that paper companies are going to be making a high octane fuel that will be cheap and good to run sleds, ATVs and PWCs on.

Anyone else hear this?

bigmac
08-21-2005, 09:57 AM
I have not and will not repipe it. Its got about 125hp now, with a pipe and rejet should be near 155. But its tooooo noisy. Even the quiet ones are illegal and will get you a fine where we go, and they check like hawks. Besides, the noisy sleds are what close trails. It's got a clutch set up from Simon CPR, new 1"track from USA tracks and 192 stainless steel studs and 8"bars. It is the perfect sled for my wife (it no slouch for me either I might add), it hauls *ss and it is the most comfortable ride in the trails. It is probably the most comfortable sled I have ever riden. It is nothing to do some trails at 70-80mph. And with the new track when we hit the 2-3 foot powder, it eats it up. Very fun, and some magazines have rated it among the best ever sleds. And it has what some say the most dependable engine yamaha has ever produced.
Not one issue with it yet. Other than I wasn't happy with the stock yokohama track.

I haven't found noise from the Viper to be an issue. Even triple-piped (Bender) they let my son's machine into Yellowstone Park 2 years ago, and those @**hole park rangers put a decibel meter on every single sled going in from 30 feet astern. The Bender pipes are a tight fit, and I don't like the way we had to route the exhaust valve cables - already burned through one of them.

The Vector is substantially quicker than the stock Viper, although it falls off a little at about 80 and the top end between the two is about the same. My son's piped Viper will edge ahead off the line though. I have a radar gun and the Vector will hit 108 on hardpack and the Viper goes 104. That's with stock helix, spring and weights - I have the parts to reclutch both clutches but haven't got around to it yet. Suspension has never been Yamaha's long suit, but their current suspension is superior to what I had on my Viper in every way. This Vector will outrun my old Viper on the trails all day - handling is amazing..partly Ripsaw and partly suspension. I anticipate that re-clutching will even boost trail performance a little more - there's currently a little flat spot in the acceleration curves I've seen. My days of caring about whose faster across the lake are long gone. If I still cared, I'd have just bought something faster, but I've yet to see a hot lake-racer that handled really well on the trail.

ski_king
08-21-2005, 10:43 AM
Nothing like the smell of a 2 stroke if it is burning castor oil.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-21-2005, 10:45 AM
:) [QUOTE=Workin' 4 Toys]

Sigh...Although I'm sure MasterCraft TTAdmin doesn't care ;) if we argue snowmobile brands, I've seen enough snowmobile brand chauvinism to last me plenty, including fist fights in bars over such a silly notion.

I am not sure what part of the conversation appeared to be "chauvinism" but we have been both talking about the exact same Yamaha sled. We both have the same one.:confused:
At any rate, as shown in the pic, we as a group ride them all. We have Polaris,ski doo, yamaha, and Arctic Cat. Or course when one of our sleds p00p out on us the others aren't far behind with the ribbing. Should have bought this, should have bought that.:) Part of the fun.
I have a yamaha Viper, and I going to buy an Arctic Cat tomorrow if they come to agreement with the price. I have owned pol in the past.
If it were a choice available, I would get a REDLINE in a second. They were the ultimate sled. Too bad they folded when they were just getting started. I will get one in the future used of course, and possibly throw a 1100 or 1200 in it.
At any rate, we love the sport/hobby, can't wait until my 2 year old is ready to ride. Maybe by years end

Workin' 4 Toys
08-21-2005, 10:46 AM
Nothing like the smell of a 2 stroke if it is burning castor oil.
Thats what we run in our R/Cs too. Makes your eyes water!!

Workin' 4 Toys
08-21-2005, 10:51 AM
I haven't found noise from the Viper to be an issue. Even triple-piped (Bender) they let my son's machine into Yellowstone Park 2 years ago, and those @**hole park rangers put a decibel meter on every single sled going in from 30 feet astern. The Bender pipes are a tight fit, and I don't like the way we had to route the exhaust valve cables - already burned through one of them.

The Vector is substantially quicker than the stock Viper, although it falls off a little at about 80 and the top end between the two is about the same. My son's piped Viper will edge ahead off the line though. I have a radar gun and the Vector will hit 108 on hardpack and the Viper goes 104. That's with stock helix, spring and weights - I have the parts to reclutch both clutches but haven't got around to it yet. Suspension has never been Yamaha's long suit, but their current suspension is superior to what I had on my Viper in every way. This Vector will outrun my old Viper on the trails all day - handling is amazing..partly Ripsaw and partly suspension. I anticipate that re-clutching will even boost trail performance a little more - there's currently a little flat spot in the acceleration curves I've seen. My days of caring about whose faster across the lake are long gone. If I still cared, I'd have just bought something faster, but I've yet to see a hot lake-racer that handled really well on the trail.
Well, we will have a new rx1, new vector and 2 new attaks and 2 or 3 new A/Cs and 2 new Pols out with us this year, some new riders. We shall see who has the suspensions set right from the factory for endurance. And now matter the sled, the clutch always needs help for the particular rider. I intend to take my father out on one who hasn't riden in about 10 years. He seems to think its to rough, boy is he in the dark as far as these new suspensions.

ski_king
08-21-2005, 10:56 AM
....and here I am with only a pair of 20 year old Yamaha Bravo's left.

I wish I still had a hot sled...... :o

bigmac
08-21-2005, 11:51 AM
:) [QUOTE=bigmac]

If it were a choice available, I would get a REDLINE in a second. They were the ultimate sled. Too bad they folded when they were just getting started. I will get one in the future used of course, and possibly throw a 1100 or 1200 in it.
At any rate, we love the sport/hobby, can't wait until my 2 year old is ready to ride. Maybe by years end

I used to live next door to Gerard Karpik (FAST) and I've ridden the Blade a lot. Great sled, but u-u-u-ugly...wow!

My kids started riding at 3 and 4 on a Kitty Kat. They'd ride that thing for hours at a time. As they got older, I put them on SnoScoots - that was a disaster, so the next year I got a couple of Bravos. Great sled for kids!! My son outgrew the Bravo pretty quickly and by age 10 was going the SS/XC/XCR route. At age 20, he's a fearless wrench and an amazing rider. Great hobby - it's been a very rewarding part of our lives.

bigmac
08-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Well, we will have a new rx1, new vector and 2 new attaks and 2 or 3 new A/Cs and 2 new Pols out with us this year, some new riders. We shall see who has the suspensions set right from the factory for endurance. And now matter the sled, the clutch always needs help for the particular rider. I intend to take my father out on one who hasn't riden in about 10 years. He seems to think its to rough, boy is he in the dark as far as these new suspensions.

THAT is for sure. In 30 years, I've LIVED the progression in suspension and reliability. It's mind-boggling. Of course, so is the progression in prices....

Workin' 4 Toys
08-21-2005, 11:00 PM
THAT is for sure. In 30 years, I've LIVED the progression in suspension and reliability. It's mind-boggling. Of course, so is the progression in prices....

IN 95 I think they were 4000, now 9000 for new. I guess they have come along way.

JDK
08-22-2005, 02:14 AM
At almost 600pds, it better be comfy, quiet, and smooth, because they certainly can't compete on the lake unless you put about 6-7K into it with a turbo. We found a few guys on the trails last winter that had to jump start theirs with their trucks because there is no back up system for starting, key and battery only. When its 25below zero, those batteries are solid blocks of ice, and wouldn't be much good.

I'm really wondering if you know what you're talking about.
"certainly can't compete on the lake"
I love lining up against guys with exactly this attitude for a run. If we're talking stock sleds and running a 1/4 mile or more, to avoid reading a Yamaha snow flap you better have a ZR9 or MachZ.
"batteries are blocks of ice at -25 and aren't much good"?
It gets way colder than -25 where I ride (look at where I live), and I've never seen an RX on the trail with a frozen battery. I have also never seen a truck on the trail either.

.....and let's not even get into the discussion of mileage or which brand is most likely to finish the day on the rear end of a tow rope.

sizzler
08-22-2005, 04:43 AM
great toys and great pics lads..........but as useful as a fish's bicycle over here 8p

bigmac
08-22-2005, 09:55 AM
I love lining up against guys with exactly this attitude for a run. If we're talking stock sleds and running a 1/4 mile or more, to avoid reading a Yamaha snow flap you better have a ZR9 or MachZ.
It gets way colder than -25 where I ride (look at where I live), and I've never seen an RX on the trail with a frozen battery. I have also never seen a truck on the trail either.

.....and let's not even get into the discussion of mileage or which brand is most likely to finish the day on the rear end of a tow rope.

DOH!

I was hoping there weren't going to be any other Yamaha riders that saw WFT's observations. I found them puzzling too, but brand preferences in all toy areas (not just snowmobiles) are pretty polarizing and I was thinking we might skip all that. It's worth noting that WFT does ride a lot, and even owns a Yammie.

Those of us that have dedicated a substantial portion of our lives (and income) to toys deal with brand chauvinism all the time. Mac vs. PC, Nikon vs. Canon, MasterCraft vs. CC, Ford vs. Chevy -- jeez it's a long list and the discussions get almost violent when we get to the internet discussion groups. I can't think how many times I've seen the word "MasterCrap" on Wakeboard.com, or the number of times I've been told that my AirChair instead of SkySki was the biggest mistake of my life. I've had guys walk up to me on the side of a snowmobile trail for the sole purpose of telling me that my snowmobile was slow, heavy, and handled poorly, and squid-bike riders in Power Ranger suits are forever putting down my Harley. And the Sheriff's deputies that I work with razz me mercilessly because I carry a Sig instead of a Glock. Man, ya gotta laugh.

Anyway, I try not to let my ego get all wrapped up in my toy-brand selection. I can judge for myself whether or not I've bought the wrong brand, and it's easy enough correct next time I go shopping.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-22-2005, 04:41 PM

Ok, ok, your Yami is the exception. I did not mean to upset you, nor did I intentinally imply your sled is slow on the ice.
All I am going to say about the battery issue, is I had one experience riding with 4stroke guys on Yamis and they wouldn't start after being parked (I have no idea how long). they figured it was from frozen batteries and would start with a jump(at the house with the truck, not on the trail). I guess thats why they built in jumper cables out the top of the motor. It was not my assumption. We shall see what my buddies experiences with them is. Some brand new, some used. When the snow flies..... YAHHHOOOOO!!:D

Hey erk, you had any racing experience with a 4 stroke 1000cc yami against your 700?

And the tow rope, we have all had the tow rope out. I can assure you of that, new, used, high mileage, low mileage, (no mileage)

Workin' 4 Toys
08-22-2005, 04:51 PM
DOH!

I was hoping there weren't going to be any other Yamaha riders that saw WFT's observations. I found them puzzling too, but brand preferences in all toy areas (not just snowmobiles) are pretty polarizing and I was thinking we might skip all that. It's worth noting that WFT does ride a lot, and even owns a Yammie.

Those of us that have dedicated a substantial portion of our lives (and income) to toys deal with brand chauvinism all the time. Mac vs. PC, Nikon vs. Canon, MasterCraft vs. CC, Ford vs. Chevy -- jeez it's a long list and the discussions get almost violent when we get to the internet discussion groups. I can't think how many times I've seen the word "MasterCrap" on Wakeboard.com, or the number of times I've been told that my AirChair instead of SkySki was the biggest mistake of my life. I've had guys walk up to me on the side of a snowmobile trail for the sole purpose of telling me that my snowmobile was slow, heavy, and handled poorly, and squid-bike riders in Power Ranger suits are forever putting down my Harley. And the Sheriff's deputies that I work with razz me mercilessly because I carry a Sig instead of a Glock. Man, ya gotta laugh.

Anyway, I try not to let my ego get all wrapped up in my toy-brand selection. I can judge for myself whether or not I've bought the wrong brand, and it's easy enough correct next time I go shopping.

My chauvinistic selections...(since we have TJ'd already)
PC.,
Ford, Chevy, Pontiac, & GMC,(depending on type of veh.)
Canon,
Mastercraft,
Arctic Cat, Polaris, Redline and Yamaha,
Harley,
& Ruger
Not sure about the air chair but once I have experience I am sure I wil form an opinion.:)

bigmac
08-22-2005, 05:11 PM
My chauvinistic selections...(since we have TJ'd already)
PC.,
Ford, Chevy, Pontiac, & GMC,(depending on type of veh.)
Canon,
Mastercraft,
Arctic Cat, Polaris, Redline and Yamaha,
Harley,
& Ruger
Not sure about the air chair but once I have experience I am sure I wil form an opinion.:)

LOL :D

I will say that in my rather casual lake racing, the only 700 I consistently have trouble with is the F7. It always seems to get the jump, and I follow it about a length behind until we get to about 80, then it walks away. Of course, I'm not studded (I know, I know...I supect I know what you're gonna say about that... :o ) and I intentionally have my transfer set pretty flat. It's puzzling, because the torque curve of my engine doesn't show a flat spot. I have a custom helix and different spring that the guy based on actual acceleration curves. I haven't put it on yet, so I'm witholding my opinion, but the before-after acceleration curves the guy published look promising. We'll see. Too bad the transition period from boating to snowmobiling is so long (around here we call that boring transition period "Fall")

That F7 looks to me to be a great balance of fast-on-the-lake and good-handling-on-the-trails.

JDK
08-22-2005, 05:17 PM
When the snow flies..... YAHHHOOOOO!!:D

Now that I can agree with! 8p

Workin' 4 Toys
08-22-2005, 08:47 PM
I just a second ago hung up with my buddy who is tormenting me on the new sled (Idon't have possession of yet). He tells me he just got the 06 catalog of accessories in the mail. It has the accessory bag I have been in need of to match the new sled. I hope it is as nice as the Yamaha stuff I bought last year. Gotta match the ride right?!?

Perhaps I'll see you gentlemen on the trails one day. How about some pics of your sleds?

bigmac
08-22-2005, 09:25 PM
I just a second ago hung up with my buddy who is tormenting me on the new sled (Idon't have possession of yet). He tells me he just got the 06 catalog of accessories in the mail. It has the accessory bag I have been in need of to match the new sled. I hope it is as nice as the Yamaha stuff I bought last year. Gotta match the ride right?!?

Perhaps I'll see you gentlemen on the trails one day. How about some pics of your sleds?

Looking good is half the battle...

Here are my pbase galleries:

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/snowmobile
http://www.pbase.com/hmac/snowmobiling_2004
http://www.pbase.com/hmac/snowy_range
http://www.pbase.com/hmac/yellowstone_park

And here's a video I made ... mostly my kid. It's a big file and doesn't stream worth a darn - sorry. But I bet it gets your right thumb kinda itchy...

http://mccollister.info/yellowstone2.mpg

Workin' 4 Toys
08-29-2005, 11:21 PM
I was out in the shed tonight waxin' her up. It's just around the corner....SNOW that is...

mcprostar197
08-30-2005, 02:04 AM
Some of us cant use a MasterCraft year round.

We dont sit on TMC all day.

I want to try snowboarding behind a snowmobile. I don't think it would be as forgiving as water.

Thats for sure pretty fun. At our place where we used to have sleds, we hooked a rope to the back of one, built a nice kicked and snowboarded behind the machine to get good speed for the kicker.

erkoehler
08-30-2005, 02:10 AM
I match my sled pretty well......

erkoehler
08-30-2005, 02:12 AM
one more, I am in the green by the way :D

mcprostar197
08-30-2005, 02:20 AM
The Arctic Cat green is such a cool color green.

erkoehler
08-30-2005, 02:30 AM
It is a Love it or hate it color.

bfinley
08-30-2005, 10:34 AM
BigMac,

It looks like you were using short-tracks on your trips out west. How did that work. I'm planning a trip this winter and we are debating if we should bring our own sleds or rent out there.

Thanks,

Brandon

Workin' 4 Toys
08-30-2005, 10:41 AM
The Arctic Cat green is such a cool color green.
I don't like the green, although my new one will be green when it arrives, but not for long.
If all goes well, the green will be gone before it sees the light of day!!

Workin' 4 Toys
08-30-2005, 10:44 AM
BigMac,

It looks like you were using short-tracks on your trips out west. How did that work. I'm planning a trip this winter and we are debating if we should bring our own sleds or rent out there.

Thanks,

Brandon
Renting is very costly. And IF you take a hit, you might as well have bought a new one!! They won't cover damages. Two of the guys last year tagged trees, cost one a $1000, and the other close to $2000. And this was a 3 day weekend. It also doesn't help when you ride with a bunch of hammerheads trying to race all the time on the trails. But they knew what they were getting into when the rented them.

bigmac
08-30-2005, 11:57 AM
BigMac,

Thanks,

Brandon

We ride out of West Yellowstone because it's the best combination of trail, deep powder, and mountain riding. I've only used short-track snowmobiles. Last time I was there in 2004, I used my Viper with stock 1-inch track. My son has a 1.5 inch Camoplast on his piped Viper and puts thousands of miles in deep powder on the Snowy Range in Wyoming where he's going to school. In the thousands of miles of mountain riding I've done with him. I have yet to see him get stuck, and I've yet to see him be unable to go somewhere a mountain sled can go. I've seen him climb and/or high-mark hills beating long tracks, and I've seen him climb a hill to rescue long-tracks that were stuck. Although he's probably a better powder rider than I am, it's been rare that I've ever been stuck in a situation where a long-track would have prevented it. I believe that successful mountain riding in powder is about 90% rider ability and about 10% sled. OTOH, the trail handling of a long-track leaves a lot to be desired.

If I were going to Cooke City or Togwatee for the express purpose of deep powder riding only, I'd prefer a long-track mountain sled. If it were going to be a mix of trail and off-trail, then I'd skip the (sigificant) expense of renting and take my own sled.

bigmac
08-30-2005, 12:02 PM
Renting is very costly. And IF you take a hit, you might as well have bought a new one!! They won't cover damages. Two of the guys last year tagged trees, cost one a $1000, and the other close to $2000. And this was a 3 day weekend. It also doesn't help when you ride with a bunch of hammerheads trying to race all the time on the trails. But they knew what they were getting into when the rented them.

They do offer insurance, but issue in most places I've seen is that the deductable is very high. If you're going to rent, check your automobile policy or your sled policy. Many policies will cover that issue of damage to a rented slwd, or a policy rider is available.

bfinley
08-30-2005, 12:09 PM
Where do you suggest going for a mix of on-trail and off-trail??

bigmac
08-30-2005, 12:29 PM
Where do you suggest going for a mix of on-trail and off-trail?? West Yellowstone. Lots of well-groomed trails, lots of off-trail areas, lots of deep powder, lots of hills to climb. The town of West Yellowstone has some great places to stay and some great restaurants. The west entrance to the park is right there, and it's worth seeing in the winter once or twice.

Note that Yellowstone Park really has little to do with snowmobiling out of West Yellowstone, it's just an interesting side trip to take on one day of your visit.

Plan ahead. If you make reservations somewhere there, be sure to ask them about getting a reservation to go through the park.

erkoehler
08-30-2005, 01:39 PM

Go to the UP and make sure you like the off trail stuff before you go out to Yellowstone or other areas. There is a guide service through www.johndee.com called KSE tours that has awesome off trail adventures with serious powder riding.

Datdude
08-30-2005, 01:52 PM

I agree with ERK. We drop off in South Range, Michigan and ride the powerlines (South) towards Twin Lakes. The other option is staying on the trail and heading North towards Houghton. You can continue North all the way to Copper Harbor and find some off-trail areas up that way too. By far the best off-trail riding in the Midwest with tons of snow.

JDK
08-30-2005, 02:39 PM
Go to the UP and make sure you like the off trail stuff before you go out to Yellowstone or other areas. There is a guide service through www.johndee.com called KSE tours that has awesome off trail adventures with serious powder riding.

Good advice. Another thing to consider is that the trails in Yellowstone can be TERRIBLE (they can be very busy and the groomers don't work as often as some people are use to).
I also disagree with the statement above about shorties going where longtracks will. A good light rider can make short sled go alot of places on snow that's set up .... but that same light rider will go way, way, way further or higher on an equally powered Summit, M series or RMK.
Ever been to Cooke City in December? You'll know what I mean if you have.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-13-2005, 12:08 AM
I agree with ERK. We drop off in South Range, Michigan and ride the powerlines (South) towards Twin Lakes. The other option is staying on the trail and heading North towards Houghton. You can continue North all the way to Copper Harbor and find some off-trail areas up that way too. By far the best off-trail riding in the Midwest with tons of snow.
Are you talking about twin lakes being elizabeth and Mary?

Datdude
09-13-2005, 03:22 PM
I don't know the names of the lakes...there is a small town about 1/2 hour south of Houghton called Twin Lakes(on M26 I think). There is a couple gas stations, DNR office, internet cafe etc, but if you blink you will miss it

erkoehler
09-13-2005, 03:35 PM
You just described half the towns in the UP! :o

Datdude
09-13-2005, 04:59 PM
You just described half the towns in the UP! :o

Yes I did :uglyhamme

Workin' 4 Toys
09-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Yes I did :uglyhamme
Wisc, or Mich?

Datdude
09-15-2005, 04:41 PM
I am talking about Twin Lakes, Michigan

Workin' 4 Toys
09-15-2005, 10:58 PM
Ok, I guess that is why the lakes I was talking about didn't ring a bell with you. I was talking about Wisc. We have been riding that area for a long time. I haven't been there in a few years, but we used to go alot. Now we go up north, if we get some good snows, we'll head back to Twin Lakes Wisc.

erkoehler
09-15-2005, 11:00 PM
Get that sled yet, workin???

Workin' 4 Toys
09-15-2005, 11:23 PM
Get that sled yet, workin???
This is like a dream come true. Sorry for the delay, I have been outside polishing and waxing it. :)

Maristar210
09-15-2005, 11:26 PM
FWIW

I am going 60 to 100 miles north of the USA / CA... Soo border to ride dirt bikes starting at 11:00 am tomorrow. We are going over to Ontario and then we are hauling *** to a place 70 miles north where we'll spend the night and then haulin *** back. I have a 15T-46T sprocket combo on my KTM 525Sx if that helps....braaaap!!

Steve

erkoehler
09-15-2005, 11:31 PM
This is like a dream come true. Sorry for the delay, I have been outside polishing and waxing it. :)

That looks AWESOME!!!!!

Workin' 4 Toys
09-15-2005, 11:47 PM
That looks AWESOME!!!!!
No more playing around for me. It's the real deal. I am of course going to break it in before doing anything to it. I may have the pipes ceramic coated and put wear bars and studs in it before use. We shall see.

Thrall
09-16-2005, 12:42 PM
Workin 4, nice sled! If you've never rode Cat's big block sleds, don't even pull it out of the shed w/o studs. That sled 'll be all over the place and no traction w/ that kind o power.
Can't wait myself. Just got the sleds into the garage last week, gettin ready. It was 34 deg this morning outside.

Leroy
09-16-2005, 01:00 PM
You guys ever pull a snowboarder behind the sled?

Workin' 4 Toys
09-16-2005, 01:53 PM
You guys ever pull a snowboarder behind the sled?
Nope, not yet. WANNA PULL?;)
I would be more than happy to. I have a real good friend that is a ski/snowboard nut. I may convince him to take a blast at the local riding area if we get snow. Of course he might be picking ice chunks out of his teeth with the new sled.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-16-2005, 02:00 PM
Workin 4, nice sled! If you've never rode Cat's big block sleds, don't even pull it out of the shed w/o studs. That sled 'll be all over the place and no traction w/ that kind o power.
Can't wait myself. Just got the sleds into the garage last week, gettin ready. It was 34 deg this morning outside.
Several of the guys I ride with have F7's, ZR800's, RMK 800's, Fusion 900, RX1s, and some modified to death 1100's, and 1200's, all of which have been toy'd with so none are stock. Ive riden most of them, and can say I like the feeling of getting my arms getting stretched on the 1/4 mile ice drag strip. Although I have never riden one like mine yet. Should handle like the ZR800, but the power is suppose to be unbelievable. We shall see.

Leroy
09-16-2005, 02:04 PM
Looks like it would be fun, but reminds me of the video of the kids pulling each other on a board (wakeskate like) with a ATV by a pond!

Nope, not yet. WANNA PULL?;)
I would be more than happy to. I have a real good friend that is a ski/snowboard nut. I may convince him to take a blast at the local riding area if we get snow. Of course he might be picking ice chunks out of his teeth with the new sled.

bigmac
09-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Several of the guys I ride with have F7's, ZR800's, RMK 800's, Fusion 900, RX1s, and some modified to death 1100's, and 1200's, all of which have been toy'd with so none are stock. Ive riden most of them, and can say I like the feeling of getting my arms getting stretched on the 1/4 mile ice drag strip. Although I have never riden one like mine yet. Should handle like the ZR800, but the power is suppose to be unbelievable. We shall see.

When I was a kid, I liked that stuff too. The older I get, the more I care about trail handling and the less interested I am in across-the-lake speed.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Or maybe we could use "the saucer" You know the one, aluminum!!! Not one of these present day plastic cheapies. I would love to find a new aluminum saucer and a new "good quality" toboggan. Now that would bring back some memories of me getting tied behind the RUPP.:eek: Then we could have some serious fun on our hands!!

Workin' 4 Toys
09-16-2005, 02:20 PM
When I was a kid, I liked that stuff too. The older I get, the more I care about trail handling and the less interested I am in across-the-lake speed.
Funny part is, a few of these guys are retired! And not that there is anything unusual about it, but one of them has the fastest sled out there with about 240HP. Not sure if he will take it out onthe trails again this year, its kind of loud now.
We spend probably 50%-70% of the time on the trails.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-22-2005, 10:39 AM
Grayslake IL. snowmobile grass drags and huge swap meet this weekend if any midwesterners are interested.

madmax
09-22-2005, 11:38 AM
Hello again guys!
You must the difference between a boy and a man? It's the price of the toys. And I'm on of yours but I'm blue. I got a Yamaha Warrior 2005 last year and love it. Use to go on trails in Quebec mostly. I'll send you some pictures of it and of our last year trip in the country.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-22-2005, 04:26 PM
Hello again guys!
You must the difference between a boy and a man? It's the price of the toys. And I'm on of yours but I'm blue. I got a Yamaha Warrior 2005 last year and love it. Use to go on trails in Quebec mostly. I'll send you some pictures of it and of our last year trip in the country.
I rode with a few guys locally on warriors last year, I did not know them, we met on the trails. That was when I had the Viper out. Nice sleds. You have got to look into putting a turbo on it. They are unbelievable then.

erkoehler
09-22-2005, 04:30 PM
I like the new Nitro that came out by Yamaha, but can't justify the price.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-22-2005, 11:33 PM
Two of buddies just picked up attaks two weeks ago. Ordered them March I think. They had a demonstration inside a hotel in LaGrange if I recall, but they have the whole 06 lineup. They even had one cut in half. No rides, only for looking. That's were they ordered them. One had an RX1 and the other a Polaris 800.
They looked ok, did not do anything for me and for weighing in at about 600 pounds:eek: . And they are going to have to watch the aftermarket. The rx1s were easy to put turbos on, carbed with tons of room under the hood.
The attaks have no room for mods, it is soooo tight there is barely room for the air filter. And with the FI, they are now working on using a superchargers but it will look funny because the body panels will have to be modified. Not a good idea for trying to make them fast.
They will need to make them out of titanium to make the weight more user friendly.
We'll see how they do shortly. One red, the other blue. I look forward to the guys with their new RX1s and the others with the attaks runnin' each other. Stock for stock, we shall see if the added claimed 10 HP makes a difference.

erkoehler
09-23-2005, 03:06 PM
How many miles are you going to do if any before the modifications/

tommcat
09-23-2005, 03:25 PM
I'm looking forward to getting the chance to run against one of the new attacks. i'd like to find a new Mach Z to line up with too.

erkoehler
09-23-2005, 03:27 PM
I'm looking forward to getting the chance to run against one of the new attacks. i'd like to find a new Mach Z to line up with too.

What kind of sled did you say you had???

tommcat
09-23-2005, 03:39 PM
What kind of sled did you say you had???03 ZR900 with a lot of work done. dyno'd at 175HP, havent ridden this engine set up yet though. i'm looking forward to it

Workin' 4 Toys
09-23-2005, 04:00 PM
How many miles are you going to do if any before the modifications/
That depends on how many can keep up with it stock. If I get beat once, it won't take many more miles than that.:D Now, we attend professional races on occasion, and of course that is out of my league because I am going to trail ride it. Mods will come as needed. Starting with the clutch and carbs. Then down from there. Might goto a 1010 next year, but we shall see. I still want to be able to ride with my wife who will be on the Yami.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-23-2005, 04:04 PM
I doubt you find an attak rider who would run you, (maybe on the trails). I wouldn't think the owner would not subject himself to that after dropping $8/9000.00 on it.

erkoehler
09-23-2005, 04:12 PM
That depends on how many can keep up with it stock. If I get beat once, it won't take many more miles than that.:D Now, we attend professional races on occasion, and of course that is out of my league because I am going to trail ride it. Mods will come as needed. Starting with the clutch and carbs. Then down from there. Might goto a 1010 next year, but we shall see. I still want to be able to ride with my wife who will be on the Yami.

My biggest fear with the mods is that the sled will become unreliable and possibly even worse the sled would become untrailable.

tommcat
09-23-2005, 04:37 PM
I doubt you find an attak rider who would run you, (maybe on the trails). I wouldn't think the owner would not subject himself to that after dropping $8/9000.00 on it.
i dont know, i found an awful lot of RX1 guys that wanted to last year. they all seemed to have it in their heads that they were on the fastest things on snow. seems to be a strange frame of mind those guys are in.
mine is fast but i know there are a lot of things faster out there, i'm curious to see how bad i run against the mach. they are supposed to be seriously fast.

erkoehler
09-23-2005, 04:39 PM
tommcat,

Where do you normally ride?

tommcat
09-23-2005, 04:50 PM
tommcat,

Where do you normally ride?
Maine, the Moosehead lake area mostly. also some riding in Pittsburg, NH. both have HUGE, wide, smooth trails that make cruising all day at 80-90 a breeze.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-23-2005, 11:54 PM
i dont know, i found an awful lot of RX1 guys that wanted to last year. they all seemed to have it in their heads that they were on the fastest things on snow. seems to be a strange frame of mind those guys are in.
mine is fast but i know there are a lot of things faster out there, i'm curious to see how bad i run against the mach. they are supposed to be seriously fast.
Oh, I'd say bring it! I too look forward to some blasts down the strip.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-23-2005, 11:57 PM
My biggest fear with the mods is that the sled will become unreliable and possibly even worse the sled would become untrailable.
Not if done properly. And do the homework. I think you are efi, so you are stuck anyway. Youre stuck with clutching and track mods. Thats about it.

erkoehler
09-24-2005, 01:43 AM
Not if done properly. And do the homework. I think you are efi, so you are stuck anyway. Youre stuck with clutching and track mods. Thats about it.

I am EFI, I have 153 studs in the track so that is already done. I want to do some work on the clutches, but am not sure what to do or how to do it.

Workin, we may have to get together some time in the late fall so you can show me how to get those clutches on the F7 setup to wake the sled up a bit.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-24-2005, 10:14 PM
I am EFI, I have 153 studs in the track so that is already done. I want to do some work on the clutches, but am not sure what to do or how to do it.

Workin, we may have to get together some time in the late fall so you can show me how to get those clutches on the F7 setup to wake the sled up a bit.
A bunch of us Illinois sledders are getting together in the near future in Orland Park on a Monday night if you are interested. If you are let me know, "lots" of F7 guys. Let me know, about 1 hour from you, but may be worth your trip.

erkoehler
09-24-2005, 10:39 PM
I know where Orland Park is, my Aunt lives out there. Takes 30-40 minutes.

Are you still going to the show tomorrow workin?

Workin' 4 Toys
09-26-2005, 12:56 AM
I know where Orland Park is, my Aunt lives out there. Takes 30-40 minutes.

Are you still going to the show tomorrow workin?

I went today, boy, what a disappointment. They had hardly anything there compared to previous years. Picked up some stuff, but no where near what I would have liked. I might have to go visit Mike. I will have to call him and find out when he gets his '06 lineup in.

Let me know about meeting with us. Should be a pretty good turn out.

tommcat
09-26-2005, 11:02 AM
Oh, I'd say bring it! I too look forward to some blasts down the strip.
what are you riding?

Workin' 4 Toys
09-28-2005, 12:46 AM
what are you riding?
Wife's sled (which is no slouch and is actually a good sled) 2002 Viper, and mine is an '03 ZR900 I just picked up.

erkoehler
09-28-2005, 05:13 AM
I went today, boy, what a disappointment. They had hardly anything there compared to previous years. Picked up some stuff, but no where near what I would have liked. I might have to go visit Mike. I will have to call him and find out when he gets his '06 lineup in.

Let me know about meeting with us. Should be a pretty good turn out.

I never made it to the show, buddies backed out on me last minute, so I had to go skiing....what a pain right!

I just picked up my new slide rails, orange hyfax, orange bumper kit, and I am going to get some orange ski loops.

tommcat
09-28-2005, 08:29 AM
Wife's sled (which is not slouch and is actually a good sled) 2002 Viper, and mine is an '03 ZR900 I just picked up.let me know if you need any set up help on the 900. i've tried a lot of different parts like pipes and clutching so i can tell you what worked and didnt.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-29-2005, 12:01 AM
I never made it to the show, buddies backed out on me last minute, so I had to go skiing....what a pain right!

I just picked up my new slide rails, orange hyfax, orange bumper kit, and I am going to get some orange ski loops.
Eric, don't forget about the 10th if you can make it. Bring some of your friends if you want, should be a good time.
The show wasn't worth the trip. Hardly anything there this year. Supposedly they have sold the land there and have a new site for next. Hope its better next year.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-29-2005, 12:04 AM
let me know if you need any set up help on the 900. i've tried a lot of different parts like pipes and clutching so i can tell you what worked and didnt.
Thanks for the offer. We have things in the works already, nothing done to it yet, I need something to campare to before and after. We shall see when the snow flies. (Its about 50 out right now, so it won't be much longer)
Now giving me a tip on how to suspend a sled over another, that would help. I am in process of stacking my sleds in my shed. One will be on a platform, and the other on stands. Lifting cables for the top. I actually hope to have it all done by next week wed. We shall see.

erkoehler
09-29-2005, 12:04 AM
I usually close at work on Mondays, but I will see what I can do. I talked to a bunch of the guys that I ride with and we are also going to be together.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-29-2005, 12:06 AM
I usually close at work on Mondays, but I will see what I can do. I talked to a bunch of the guys that I ride with and we are also going to be together.
Uhhhh, please explain the second sentence to me.......:rolleyes:

erkoehler
09-29-2005, 12:12 AM
Uhhhh, please explain the second sentence to me.......:rolleyes:

We will be doing the "preseason" work and get together soon also. I have to replace the slide rails on both sides and then put new bearings in all the bogie wheels. Plus, new hyfax.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-29-2005, 12:19 AM
Man, and I am still trying to put mine away for storage, and you are getting ready to run.

Are there any legal places to ride in your area? We have a few forest preserves they let us run in just a few miles from my house, but you need a special permit, NOT illinois pass.

erkoehler
09-29-2005, 12:24 AM
There are trails out in McHenry which are 30-45 minutes away, however usually when they get snow so does southern WI, so we go to my buddies place in whitewater.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-29-2005, 12:34 AM
I was thinking if you were to do a quick blast on a weekday or whatever. We would go whereever on weekends. But when I need a fast blast, I shoot down the road.

erkoehler
09-29-2005, 12:37 AM
I was thinking if you were to do a quick blast on a weekday or whatever. We would go whereever on weekends. But when I need a fast blast, I shoot down the road.

Quick blast on a weekday is normally in the fields across the street and down the block from my house. I haven't ridden out in McHenry as I here the trails are lacking signing, and they are never groomed after the first day.

Where we ride in Whitewater only takes us 1 hour and 30 minutes to get up there. The trails are much better, and the establishments that we visit are much more fun :D

Workin' 4 Toys
09-29-2005, 12:48 AM
I get it. Its different for me. After work, I go home, figure out the nights arrangements that have been made for me (ahhh, the married parental life), and if I get a chance to make an escape from reality, I load up and go. 5 minutes I am riding, and legally. Well, relatively speaking, there is a 45mph speed limit.:( And get to ride for a few hours.
Usually about a dozen calls are made on the way to see who is there, or on the way.

erkoehler
09-29-2005, 12:52 AM
I get it. Its different for me. After work, I go home, figure out the nights arrangements that have been made for me (ahhh, the married parental life), and if I get a chance to make an escape from reality, I load up and go. 5 minutes I am riding, and legally. Well, relatively speaking, there is a 45mph speed limit.:( And get to ride for a few hours.
Usually about a dozen calls are made on the way to see who is there, or on the way.

Put me on the will call list.....hopefully we get snow in this area and up North.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-29-2005, 12:54 AM
If you make it to the HOOTERS meeting, we'll trade numbers. How's that?

erkoehler
09-29-2005, 12:57 AM
If you make it to the HOOTERS meeting, we'll trade numbers. How's that?

I'll try my best, I have to get out of ski practice and work to do anything on mondays. AND, Steveo and HB are wanting to get together sometime in OCT so I am probably going to have to switch for that.