PDA

View Full Version : 1000 mile tow cover on or off?

JFresh
05-17-2012, 04:30 PM
I5 through California. Dust, bugs, possible rain and lots of truck traffic. Any suggestions?

Thank you

CantRepeat
05-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Off and wrap your tower in saran wrap too. Then you can just pull the bugs of when you unwrap it.

Ski-me
05-17-2012, 04:51 PM
If you can, get some mudflaps too so any small rocks don't fly up and chip the front of the boat.

Agreed, keep top off.

h2oskifreak
05-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Off. I towed my boat 600 Mi. recently after purchase and used cardboard on the hull and glass. Don't know that it did any good, but I do know I didn't get any rock chips that could have happened w/o the protection. Just have to do the front part of the hull until it isn't a leading edge.

aaron.
05-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Off and wrap your tower in saran wrap too. Then you can just pull the bugs of when you unwrap it.

x2, this is your best bet. Your cover will be stretched after that long of a drive.

bjames
05-17-2012, 04:54 PM
I have been told to wrap the rub rail and tower with shrink wrap, then cover your boat (assuming its a trailering cover). The shrink wrap around the rub rail will protect the gelcoat from being scratched by the cover rubbing.

CantRepeat
05-17-2012, 05:11 PM
I have been told to wrap the rub rail and tower with shrink wrap, then cover your boat (assuming its a trailering cover). The shrink wrap around the rub rail will protect the gelcoat from being scratched by the cover rubbing.

I would think the canvas cover would ware through the wrap over 1000 miles and any where the cover touches is going to be marked up and scuffed up. You're better of just cleaning the boat when you get there.

CantRepeat
05-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Off. I towed my boat 600 Mi. recently after purchase and used cardboard on the hull and glass. Don't know that it did any good, but I do know I didn't get any rock chips that could have happened w/o the protection. Just have to do the front part of the hull until it isn't a leading edge.

I think taping thick cardboard over the window is a nice idea. I'd not heard that one before.

CantRepeat
05-17-2012, 05:12 PM
If you can, get some mudflaps too so any small rocks don't fly up and chip the front of the boat.

Agreed, keep top off.

And mud flaps are a real bonus.

I made a set out of scrap metal and some $20 trucker flaps from Napa.

bkblaida
05-17-2012, 05:15 PM
We tow our boat over 1,000 miles each summer. We have a custom made trailering cover and it has held up through rain & shine for the past 5 years. With this cover we can fill the boat with stuff and everything arrives dry and in the same condition we packed it. It also keeps the inside of the boat clean. In addition we have a cloth Mastercraft cover that came with the boat. We use this cover for storing the boat but it is to loose of a fit to be suitable for towing.

Panda Cub
05-17-2012, 05:22 PM
No cover! It will reduce your mileage by a minimum of 2 mpgs! Mudflaps and cardboard are a good idea!

mart_it
05-17-2012, 05:25 PM
Previous owner of my boat trailered from Az to Mi and I drove it from Mi to Quebec with cover on. Boat cover held fine and boat wasn't dirty at all.
I'd rather have to clean the exterior of road dust and have my interior stay clean than the opposite.

bjames
05-17-2012, 05:33 PM
x2... I would rather keep the boat covered during travel. After all thats what the trailering covers are intended to do. Also I would think a covered boat would be more areodynamic than an uncovered boat:rolleyes:

I used to trailer my boat without a cover, but i got sick of cleaning out all the bugs afterwards.

BrooksfamX2
05-17-2012, 05:44 PM
I tow 600 miles several times a year with the cover and supports in place. I put the blue painters tape around the bottom bottom edge of the cover. Helps keep wind and durt from getting under it. I also tape a piece of foam pipe insulation on the top of the windshield frame so the (slightly) flapping cover doesnt wear on it. With cover on, boat and gear stay clean and dry. You can get a lot of dirt and dust in a boat on a 1000 mile trip.

BrooksfamX2
05-17-2012, 05:46 PM
I tow 600 miles several times a year with the cover and supports in place. I put the blue painters tape around the bottom bottom edge of the cover. You can also put it on rub areas to protect them. Helps keep wind and durt from getting under it. I also tape a piece of foam pipe insulation on the top of the windshield frame so the (slightly) flapping cover doesnt wear on it. With cover on, boat and gear stay clean and dry. You can get a lot of dirt and dust in a boat on a 1000 mile trip.

Nick911
05-21-2012, 04:39 PM
We tow about 3000 miles over the summer, and would like to keep cover on as all our luggage essentially goes back there.

Keep the poles in or out?

GT500 MC
05-21-2012, 04:43 PM
I tow 600 miles several times a year with the cover and supports in place. I put the blue painters tape around the bottom bottom edge of the cover. You can also put it on rub areas to protect them. Helps keep wind and durt from getting under it. I also tape a piece of foam pipe insulation on the top of the windshield frame so the (slightly) flapping cover doesnt wear on it. With cover on, boat and gear stay clean and dry. You can get a lot of dirt and dust in a boat on a 1000 mile trip.

So you almost have it sealed then with the blue painters tape? I also trailer 1,000 miles each way on our annual summer trip and shrinkwrap all of the parts of the boat where the cover touches the boat and the tower. Like the foam pipe on top of the windshield idea but curious on the blue painters tape.

sand2snow22
05-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Fold the tower, put orange life jackets under the tower and have the boat shrink wrapped for $300! Make sure the shrink wrap goes to the bottom of the hull, not just to the rub rail....

mikeg205
05-21-2012, 07:57 PM
off. - I go 800 miles... to northwest ontario... no flopping around...no rubbing..as soon as I park it...cover it...

EA2010
05-21-2012, 08:01 PM
I just towed 600 km thru the mountains with the cover on (poles down). Not a scratch ...

JFresh
05-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Just completed the tow with cover on. I wrapped the rub rail with stretch wrap about 14 inches wide with two layers and then put on the cover. It worked great and did not rub through but next time I will probably do another layer and try to pull it tighter. I also wrapped the tower but I did not do a good enough job and it started whipping after about 10 miles. So I pulled it off. I did not wrap each component individually i.e. speakers, bars, lights so it created lots of drag since it sticks up above the truck and I would not recommend it. I did put pipe insulation on the windshield with blue tape which was a good idea.

In addition the mastercraft tow cover held up very well but it does not keep water out if you are planning on storing items inside the boat while under tow.

Overall I am very happy I had the cover on or else the inside of the boat would have been full of rad grim which would be a pain in the butt to clean. Also there seems to be a security aspect of having the cover on drawing less attention when parked or filling up.

On another note 9.8 mpg with my 5.4 F-150 was no bargain at $4.45 per gallon.

BrooksfamX2
05-21-2012, 10:18 PM
Nice report, thanks. I will continue to tow with cover on as always. I may add the plastic wrap to the rubrail on my 600 mile trip coming up.