PDA

View Full Version : NEW Boat / Rookie user

brentharvey@gmail.com
05-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Hey guys

New rookie user of an X2 saltwater edition 2010 60 hours on it. running it now in freshwater. MCX 350 engine

Some questions for some of you experts.

Started engine and noticed engine temperature was climbing fast. Happened to notice a valve to allow water to the water pump. Opened it and temperature went down. Does this valve need to be closed after use/ trailering? How about winterizing the water pump and hoses. Do I need to pump antifreeze into the hoses.

Is there a master valve for the ballast tanks? Tried to fill ballasts but no water in tanks. I assume there is a master valve to allow water to the impeller. Where is this valve? Does it need to be turned off when trailering etc. How about winterizing?

Ran the engine full throttle for about 15 min or so the engine temperature began to rise to about 180. The engine then automatically slowed down, I assume as a limp mode type of safety. Is this common to have the engine heat rise when at full throttle for long periods. If not any suggestions?

Seacock strainer. How often does it need to be checked if running in fresh water?

thanks in advance

bjames
05-17-2012, 02:28 PM
First off welcome to TT!!!

Engine temps arounf 160 would be normal, I assume your running this in the water and not on the trailer. I dont know of any valve isolating the cooling water intake. But the ballast intake lines should have isolation ball valves. These should be open at all times during the summer. For winterizing you can close them. Basically keep all valves open during the summer season. You may want to check your raw water impellor, perhaps it needs replacement. Wait a minute, :o if you have the Salt Water Series, then your cooling 'should' be closed loop. Im not familler with that. sorry.

CantRepeat
05-17-2012, 03:06 PM
I assume that with that main valve closed you were running the impeller dry*. How long did you run the boat without water?

* If is a closed loop cooling system then I believe the exhaust manifolds are still open water cooled. Therefor, you may still have an impeller that pulls water to cool them. The impeller housing, if you have one, should located on the front of the crank shaft near the lower front part of your motor.

It looks like this:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=66330&stc=1&d=1304798256

And the impeller looks like this:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=33218&stc=1&d=1207183966

And this is the heat exchanger that may have impeller parts in it.

http://mccollister.info/trannycooler2.jpg

On your boat the heat exchanger should be located on the starboard side of the engine, not the front.

willyt
05-17-2012, 04:01 PM
you ran at WOT for 15 minutes???!!!!

ricford
05-17-2012, 05:15 PM
you ran at WOT for 15 minutes???!!!!

Agreed! Running WOT is like putting your car in second gear and mashing the pedal to the floor and holding it there. Not recommended for long periods of time.
I would definitely check the impeller if it was run dry for some time. Not familiar with the closed loop system though.

nkorep2
05-17-2012, 07:35 PM
I believe running any motor at full throttle for 15 minutes would make the temperature rise pretty quickly.

CantRepeat
05-17-2012, 08:21 PM
I don't know.

I've ran both my 92 and 06 WOT from the dock to the sand bar, easily 10+ minutes, with out any issues. These motors are designed and programmed to be ran at high RPM for long periods of time.

I would look at other root causes for the over-heating issues.

nkorep2
05-19-2012, 12:06 AM
I don't know.

I've ran both my 92 and 06 WOT from the dock to the sand bar, easily 10+ minutes, with out any issues. These motors are designed and programmed to be ran at high RPM for long periods of time.

I would look at other root causes for the over-heating issues.

I was under the impression that the boat was run out of water at full throttle, but I agree, in water there should not be an issue.

brentharvey@gmail.com
05-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the replies. I ran the boat in the water. Just for your information not out of the water. Since the original post I figured it all out. I still have an issue of running at full throttle for longer than 10 minutes and overheating. Any suggestions why the overharting is occuring?

gatorguy
05-28-2012, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the replies. I ran the boat in the water. Just for your information not out of the water. Since the original post I figured it all out. I still have an issue of running at full throttle for longer than 10 minutes and overheating. Any suggestions why the overharting is occuring?

What was the original problem that you got figures out?

brentharvey@gmail.com
05-31-2012, 04:56 PM
Just did not run the boat at full throttle for long periods.

ntidsl
06-01-2012, 09:34 AM
what have you checked? No boat should over heat at WOT if in water and getting proper circulation. Closed system...what is your coolant mix? etc...

Table Rocker
06-01-2012, 09:56 AM
One thing you might check is to make sure it has a thermostat. If it doesn't have one, I have always heard you can see overheating at high rpm's.