PDA

View Full Version : MC Boat advice, to go 280 or X80 from a X10

DBrown2
05-17-2012, 01:45 PM
We have used my 2002 X10 now for the 4 season, its now fully loaded the way I want it. Stereo, Ballast Additions, Prop etc. It throws a good wake for Board, and then Surf, and still can ski behind. I always ski in a given weekend outing at least 2 times.

I love the look of the Fork boats and a solid Hull Color, but from what I read here... the XStar is out, so I need a X2 or possible a X15 or X25. My pricing budget is really 40K or less or could maybe squeeze to 45K providing it is already setup.

Plus the wife really likes the Flip up Backrest cushions on the newer boats.

I have known of a 280VDL that a person has been trying to sale for 1.5 years, its priced in the low 40's. Then I see several X80's the same pricing.

My usage is we play in the am or late pm, due to traffic volume on the lake then wave ratio.

50% Board/Surf
15% Ski ( Not doing course runs, just your casual cutting hard outside the middle... working the spray)
35% Hanging with Friends tied up.

The wife rarely does anything but Sun and enjoy life with friends.

So do you like your Big Freakin Boat? or wish you had a smaller Boat? How really bad is the fuel consumption? Then is there another boat you would recommend, so I dont have to spend 50-80K

nickespi
05-17-2012, 01:57 PM
My X-30 suits my needs pretty well and is definitely in your price range.

JohnE
05-17-2012, 02:35 PM
280 and X80 would be nothing but a cruiser IMO. Is the 280 VDL single or twin screw? It definitely would make your wife happy as it's great for sun and enjoying life.

scott023
05-17-2012, 02:40 PM
280 and X80 would be nothing but a cruiser IMO. Is the 280 VDL single or twin screw? It definitely would make your wife happy as it's great for sun and enjoying life.

I've seen it throw a wicked good surf wake, and if it's a twin screw, everyone on board will get a great surf wake.

jason95gt
05-17-2012, 02:59 PM
If you are going to cruise and surf then you are fine. The 280 with a single motor is a pain to drive compared to twins. Unless you are really good at wakeboarding and don't mind riding at 27mph then don't even consider.

scott023
05-17-2012, 03:01 PM
If you are going to cruise and surf then you are fine. The 280 with a single motor is a pain to drive compared to twins. Unless you are really good at wakeboarding and don't mind riding at 27mph then don't even consider.

Also, I wouldn't attempt to ski behind an 80 either...

vandit0022
05-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Well speaking from experience, if you want to ski behind an X80, forget it, there is no way. Ha the wake is big and rampy even without ballast. Fill up the ballast; add a few family/friends, even bigger wake. Speed is higher on this boat for boarding, and surfing, takes a bit to master making wakes clean. BUT..........I love it.

Big, big, and big....lots of room, tons of storage, we board, we surf, we hang out, we happy hour cruise, and you never seem to be bumping into people. Everyone has room to hang out and not be on top of one another. If you're on a big lake with chop......she will never/rarely ever nose under even in big water. Realize, bigger boat = bigger bills (!fuel! but I will say it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be) = bigger amounts of time on maintenance/cleaning. It just took me 2 days to fully wax mine. Well worth it, but my friends/neighbors swear I spend more time cleaning than I do using. If you're going from an X10 to an 80, driving is going to be a huge change. Do you have a dock or storage or what do you plan to do? Towing can be a bit of an adventure. :steering:

kgrove
05-17-2012, 11:08 PM
Curious why you say the XStar is out...

The are plenty of options between the 10 and 80. Most people I've heard of get the 80 only if they need the square footage and seating. A big driver for what boat works for you is how many people and size constraints. In your price range you would likely be happy with (from small to large) x2, 15, 30, and 45 (I didn't mention the 25, 35, or 55 because their relatively new introduction means newer and likely out of your indicated price range). Leave a few more specifics about how you will use it and where you need to store or tow it and you'll get plenty of good advice.

DBrown2
05-17-2012, 11:39 PM
Towing isn't a issue I have a Chevy Duramax.. Then storage I have access to a large building.. Just back in and dump it.
The use of rear deck is for the wife... When we park everyone usually draws to my boat due to stereo and the wife is a social butterfly. Plus a small thing is I hate people standing on sun deck or walking over it. I have drove a friends 280 SeaRay love the cruising but turning sucks... Plus it's harder to spot people or items in the water. I mention the 80 cause you get so much boat for 40 ish not to mention toilet and sink.
X Star out due to surf wake from what I read I'm talking 04 newer hull

vandit0022
05-18-2012, 01:16 AM
No worries on towing then, long as you don't mind a triple axle behind you and can wedge it into the ramps. I manage at a fairly tight ramp here locally. The toilet is likely a porta potty unless it's got a vacuflush on it which most don't. Not a single person has ever used it on mine, and the bathroom really is handy for storing people's bags and such. Also one of my friends kids like to hang out and watch movies in there....go figure. Turning is fine, no problems seeing people/things in the water. Has the walk thru sundeck but other models do too. I encourage you to go see one if you haven't, will really give you the scale of things.

DBrown2
05-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Vandit,
I went last night to look at it again... Freak man its huge, a 2011 SeaRay 210 was setting next to it. As for Ramp issues, I dont have any within 2 miles of my house is the Boat Dock area, and you can turn Semi's around. I am use to pulling Goosenecks with Hay on it so, again pulling the boat isnt the issue. I am going to see if I can take it out for a day and demo it. I am sure then I will know without a doubt.

I had thought last year with the 190's which was my first MC, the value on the 90's models being down compared to what I had in mine and sold it for 16K. I have saw several for the 6-8K range possible picking one up just for Sking, but then again. Its like owning more than 2 vehicles in that will it get really used. Plus I have friends that have boats, so I can easily get pulled there.

How is it to handle with docking, and loading and unloading.

willyt
05-18-2012, 10:46 AM
im surprised no one has directed you to the 45 yet... you might be able to snag one of those in the 45 range.
Arguably better seating arrangement/bigger interior, great surf wake pretty decent wakeboard wake (from what i'm told). Plus walk through, and better handling.
if it is a single screw i want to say i've read somewhere that they had issues with the 8.1 blowing up in that boat from the load. That being said, the CIE guys went through 3 8.1's in 5 years in a maxed out star, so may be the engine and not the boat (there's a reason they went to 2 screws).

vandit0022
05-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Takes some getting used to but I do it all the time. Of course just need more room on the dock, and trailering is like any other I guess. Big factor for me because it has a high profile on the water, is the wind. I have to factor that into trailering/ lining up for the dock more than my previous boats. I travel between 20-35 miles to the lakes I go to. Trailer all the time. It's my norm. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

vandit0022
05-18-2012, 12:13 PM
im surprised no one has directed you to the 45 yet... you might be able to snag one of those in the 45 range.
Arguably better seating arrangement/bigger interior, great surf wake pretty decent wakeboard wake (from what i'm told). Plus walk through, and better handling.
if it is a single screw i want to say i've read somewhere that they had issues with the 8.1 blowing up in that boat from the load. That being said, the CIE guys went through 3 8.1's in 5 years in a maxed out star, so may be the engine and not the boat (there's a reason they went to 2 screws).

In terms of the seating arrangement that is true. I've been in a couple 45's and the cockpit area has more seating but that is because there is no sink, and the passenger seat when in the up position on the 80 creates a forward facing seat. It's foldable though creating more seating. I have not heard of the 8.1's blowing up but I think anyone puts extreme loads in any boat and it will stress the engines.

DBrown2
05-20-2012, 05:24 PM
The 80 has 350 in it and 04 model. I will look at some 45's

DBrown2
05-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Looking at X30 or x45. Just afraid the 280 is overkill anyone else?

bjames
05-30-2012, 06:11 PM
Have you looked at any X55's? You can get them with a fridge/sink.

kgrove
05-30-2012, 06:50 PM
I think the parameters on the OP were $40-45K, so unlikely an X55 would be an option - too new to have depreciated that much. The 35 also might be an option but same problem.

DBrown2
05-31-2012, 04:48 PM
x30,35 or 45.
The 80 swallowed my boat dock w no room for others it normally would fit two 21 ft boats and two jet skis. It would still for jet skis and a john boat.
Thanks again and yes price range is still 40-45.

kgrove
05-31-2012, 08:38 PM
I doubt you'd find a x35 for that price range as the model is somewhat new and none of the boats would have depreciated that much. The X30 and X45 are both great boats - primary difference is how many people you typically bring with you. The X30 you may be able to get away with the MCX engine... The 45 may be heavy enough you'd prefer a bigger engine. Both due to the engine and size of boat you should be able to afford a newer x30 than x45 for the same price. You won't go wrong with either, so go take a look and seen which fits you best.

DBrown2
06-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the input still trying to locate one just to take it out. The majority of the boats in my area or on the lake are prostar, Maristar or X Stars but I'm still looking