PDA

View Full Version : Thinking different boat

02ProstarSammyD
05-17-2012, 09:51 AM
So I pretty much struggled with this all winter. I bought an x9/209 last year and love it. Put a ton of money into it this winter and finally have it in pretty good shape and full of some goodies.

We went out last week and I remember why I had issues with it last year. Its a good sized boat but not really condusive to what we do. We are 65% board, 20% surf, and 15% just floating and having people out. We'd love to surf more but after putting enough ballast in the boat you literally can't walk or move. I usually have 6-8 people besides me on the boat.

I'm really thinking I want to go to a v drive. Would love to stay in the MC family but trying to figure out if I can get everything I want and still stay.

Good wake boat
decent surf boat
vdrive
able to seat 8 without severe cramping
looking to keep the budget around 25k
02+ (requirement from my credit union)

This is just preliminary thinking but anyone have any suggestions on a ride?

jdl xstar
05-17-2012, 09:58 AM
2006 X2 but it will probably be in the low 30's if you find a motivated seller. I had an 07 X2 (same hull as 06) and they are great boats for the stuff you say you do.

2006 X1 may work for you and will be in the upper 20's range depending on hours, engine. But the X1 will be noticable smaller in the interior than the X2.

02ProstarSammyD
05-17-2012, 10:06 AM
Yea really want to top out around 25 or 26. If it was a stellar deal I might go 30. Don't mind an older boat as long as its 02+. Really just want to stay with my credit union on this. The rates are great and like to keep my business local.

T Scott
05-17-2012, 10:09 AM
How about an 01-02 XStar or 205V?

02ProstarSammyD
05-17-2012, 10:16 AM
^thinking that maybe the best route. Just had a hard time before finding one in the age range

willyt
05-17-2012, 10:23 AM
205V isnt the answer. 7+ on that boat is cramped, plus the surf wake is sub-par.

throws one heck of a wakeboard wake weighted right though.

I'm going with JDL on this one, your best bet is an 06 X2, tons of room, great surf wake, good wakeboard wake.

I think you're going to have a hard time finding something that'll seat 8 comfortably in that price range...

nickespi
05-17-2012, 10:56 AM
I would suggest the X-30/230 Maristar. Plenty of passenger space, decent surf wake, good board wake, and should be in your price range. I bought my '02 X-30 last year for $30k and quite honestly over-paid, but it had $7k in stereo upgrades and only 300 hours.

73blue
05-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Just did a quick search on onlyinboards, looks like there's an 05 X-10 in NY for $27,500. I'm a big fan of the X-10 as an all-around boat, and if that one's in decent shape thats a good buy.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=31716

willyt
05-17-2012, 12:13 PM
X10 would be a good option, as it'd be big enough to suite your needs but watch out for that one posted above, it's sitting on a galvanized trailer that's obviously not made for the boat.

nickespi
05-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Hours are pretty high for my taste and I wonder if the trailer is even included in the sale. They didn't even pull the boat all the way up on the trailer.

ttu
05-17-2012, 12:20 PM
here is a nice looking maristar. not sure what kind of surf wake it will produce.

http://fayar.craigslist.org/boa/3020187337.html

nice looking older x2

http://wichita.craigslist.org/boa/2988786164.html

wrobins1
05-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Just did a quick search on onlyinboards, looks like there's an 05 X-10 in NY for $27,500. I'm a big fan of the X-10 as an all-around boat, and if that one's in decent shape thats a good buy.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=31716

The grey vinyl looks a little rough too...

02ProstarSammyD
05-17-2012, 12:36 PM
yea that boat looks beat. Vinyl looks terrible and just screams nasty. I've been through one fixer upper and not really looking for another. Right now just looking for ideas really. Still would have to put up mine for sale but wanted to see what would be that range before I got gun happy on selling mine

73blue
05-17-2012, 01:05 PM
meh, like I said, just did a quick search. Should be able to find an 03-04 in your price range tho

JohnE
05-17-2012, 01:32 PM
Another vote for the X30 given the price range. Or compromise space and go a pre-06 X2 (pointy bow)

BMcD
05-17-2012, 01:49 PM
SammyD,

Check out jaxed (http://boat.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/boat.cgi?cat=boa&fil=mastercraft&itm=&state=&ps=1000&pe=30000&ys=2002&ye=&so=d&submit=+GO+), it aggregates a bunch of site through a single search. You are probably going to have to search pretty hard to get everything you want in your price range, but don't give up.

I would agree with others that an '02 or newer X30 would be a great boat. We almost bought one for essentially the same purposes, but then found an X45 that we just couldn't pass up.

Good luck!.. and if you are interested in a custom wakesurfer, just drop us a line at Day1 (www.liveday1.com).

swatguy
05-17-2012, 04:09 PM
I own the 205V hull boat (Xstar 1.0).

I too would suggest something a bit bigger due to your crew size. While the 205V hull will do everything you are looking for above average you sacrifice a ton of room. The only upgrade you will get is a better wakeboard wake, and better surf wake, other than that you will feel just as cramped imo. Tjhis hull/boat is perfect for about 6 adults and thats it in my opinion. Can you fit more, sure but it gets cramped fast.

An X10/Maristar 210 would be the choice I would push in your price range. Tons of room, surfs and wake boards average, and has a ton more room than the 205v. The 205V will have a better wakeboard wake (pro Caliber size) where the x10 is just a bit more ramped out. While still decent its def not a 205V wake. The surf wake is about the same in size for both hulls, but the pocket is longer on the X10 thus edging out the 205V just barely imo.

X30 is also a good choice, but might be hard to find in your price range. I don't know where people are finding pickle hull x2' or x1's for that matter at under 30 but those are a steal if they are taken care of. Again tho you will still feel cramped even in a pickle fork X2.

02ProstarSammyD
05-17-2012, 04:21 PM
On a side note I'm seeing alot of older 210's well within range with lower hours that would fit the bill fantasticly. Who are you guys using for older boat loans. My credit union won't go past 10 years old. I hate to stray from them but if it comes down to it o well.

yea I haven't ever seen a pickle fork in that price range. The x10/210 might be the best solution. I love the "size" of the x9 but the layout just kills me. It seems to isolate everything into a pocket which is fine but when you start throwing sacks all over the walkways are gone. If I could find a pickle fork sub 30 I'd gladly tell 2 people they could sit their butts at home. Sadly I live in the world of "my wife is coming" or "can I bring an extra girl". As a 29 year old single fat guy I just can't manage to say no.

Maybe I should just compromise, keep the boat, tell my friends to bring bigger chicks, and toss the bags. I greatly appreciate the thoughts guys. For some reason I thought the 205v would seat more comfortably.

Will start keeping my eyes open on the x10's.

nickespi
05-17-2012, 04:55 PM
I got my boat loan through USBank. Really low rate and had no problem approving my loan amount on a 9 year old boat.

swatguy
05-17-2012, 05:20 PM
The 205 v handles people ok, but I think you are looking more for a boat to hang out in all day with a cooler and what not. 6-8 adults a nice igloo, snacks and gear will have you bumping knees everywhere. If you just use the boat near a dock area go out and ride and then come back to chill and part then I think the 205V is fine for that. But for a crew that big to spend a day on it will fill up fast.

willyt
05-17-2012, 05:45 PM
... Pickle fork x2 handles people absolutely fine - we've had 11 on Mattscraft's machine before. I would venture to say you could fit 8 comfortably.
Maybe it's just because it's my boat (and i see everything wrong with it) but I think the x2 is more spacious than the old star

02ProstarSammyD
05-17-2012, 07:26 PM
The 205 v handles people ok, but I think you are looking more for a boat to hang out in all day with a cooler and what not. 6-8 adults a nice igloo, snacks and gear will have you bumping knees everywhere. If you just use the boat near a dock area go out and ride and then come back to chill and part then I think the 205V is fine for that. But for a crew that big to spend a day on it will fill up fast.

Pretty much dead on. Usually its 2 up front, 3 in the back, and 2-3 in the middle. Add one monster cooler, a doghouse, and a few fat sacs and you have a moderate sized cluster. We'll float for a few hours but when its time to ride its kind of ridiculous. I actually thought about using the front ski locker as a massive cooler to save space. Still working on a jump seat for behind the drivers seat but right now that is owned by the cooler