PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Tank

BrianT
05-17-2012, 12:41 AM
So I tried filling up a rear ballast tank today and nothing! When it was sitting on the driveway I flicked the switch and could hear the pump but when I was on the water it didn't fill.... Any suggestions? It's a 09 X7 by the way.

mallees
05-17-2012, 12:53 AM
Pickup valve could be shut, or impeller might have the center spun out of it.

AZX9
05-17-2012, 01:00 AM
Pull the impeller and replace. If you can hear the pump that should do it.

BrianT
05-17-2012, 01:08 AM
Good to know. Would the impeller be shot with 80ish total hours on the boat?

AZX9
05-17-2012, 01:27 AM
Very well could be. It's the same setup as the raw water impeller. As the boat sits over the long winter it's left in a position where a few fins are bent over and they just sit that way until you start using them again next year. Then you flip the switch in the driveway with out water in the pump and it breaks off a few fins. Might be a good idea to pull them when you winterized.

BrianT
05-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Thanks AZ!

sand2snow22
05-17-2012, 01:47 AM
Very well could be. It's the same setup as the raw water impeller. As the boat sits over the long winter it's left in a position where a few fins are bent over and they just sit that way until you start using them again next year. Then you flip the switch in the driveway with out water in the pump and it breaks off a few fins. Might be a good idea to pull them when you winterized.

True if he has a black impeller, but most likely not in his case. My bet is he has the yellow or green impellers. Pull the cover off of the pump, check to see what color impeller you have. Turn the switch to fill and empty, with a visual, make sure it is spinning. Green impellers are the best. Make sure you have one. Yellow impellers have trouble priming sometimes. Your pump could be shot, too. Pumps mounted with the impeller facing up are prone to failure. Water leaks in them and they are toast.

BrianT
05-24-2012, 12:45 AM
So I bought a new green impeller and took the cover off the pump today. The impeller was the yellow one and it had the plastic center spun out. The new green one had the metal key'd style slot instead of the plastic center in the yellow one. Haven't tried it yet but I'm sure that will do it.

bjames
05-31-2012, 07:19 PM
Never done it before, but how do you change the impellor? Does it just pull out, meaning no set screw holding it in? If its that simple, I may buy a few extra just to keep on the boat just in case. Laste year i went through 3 green impellors in a matter of 20 hours. All replaced under warranty. Also the dealer figured it must have been a bad batch as all of them had the centers spun out.

BrianT
05-31-2012, 08:18 PM
Easy to change. 3 screws to take off the top and then the impeller pulls out with a little screwdriver help. The green one has a metal center so I hope it lasts a little longer. The yellow one I pulled out had a plastic center and it was heated up and spun to a almost perfect circle. Gonna try it out on Sat as it looks like a nice day to be on the water.