PDA

View Full Version : Beer can Chicken

Flatwaterfooter
08-19-2005, 10:47 AM
OK folks doing my first beer can chicken tommarow. Give me some tips and recipes for a good bird.

jbfootin
08-19-2005, 11:06 AM
This one is conversation piece :toast:

The Tan-Line Turkey

1. Cut out aluminum foil in desired shapes.

2. Arrange the turkey in the roasting pan, position the foil carefully (see attached)

3. Roast according to your own recipes and serve.

4. Watch your guests as they try to decide where to start carving.

sizzler
06-12-2006, 04:18 PM
gave it a go this weekend........used a can of cider and put it in the smoker for 5 hrs

sizzler
06-12-2006, 04:19 PM
these beauties were caught the previous day,,,they also went in the smoker.......absof###lutely lovely

kalanic
06-12-2006, 04:23 PM
We called them "Dancin Chicken's" on the pipeline. We would just shove a 20 ounce can of beer up the chicken. When the beer began to boil the chicken would kinda dance around. It took about 3-4 hours per chicken.

richardsoncd
06-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Make sure you partially empty the beer, I usually open the top a bit larger with a pair of plyers, plug the neck hole with a potato carved to fit to trap the moisture. I rub the chicken with spices, add some fresh herbs to the cavity and every 30 minutes spray the outside of the bird with a water, salt, and apple cider vinegar mix (it really helps crisp the outside of the bird which has a lot of flavor but also traps in some more moisture).

east tx skier
06-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Feed the beer to the chicken so it doesn't fuss too much when you insert the can. ;)

maristarman
06-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Feed the beer to the chicken so it doesn't fuss too much when you insert the can. ;)

I think the medical term for that is

coldone-oscopy

tex
06-12-2006, 04:58 PM
Beer in the Butt Chicken

1 whole chicken
1 can of beer
2 tablespoons chopped onion
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 cloves garlic minced

Preheat smoker. Wash and trim chicken. While the smoker heats up, open the beer and drink half and only half. With a can opener, cut the top of the beer can off. Add onion, vinegar and garlic to beer. When the smoker is read place the beer in the middle of the rack. Carefully place the chicken over the beer standing up. You might need to get a little creative to make it stand up properly. Make sure the beer can is completely covered by the chicken. Smoke for about 4 hours or until the skin is a dark tan, the meat is pink and juices run clear.

Ric
06-12-2006, 05:14 PM
a guy in new braunfels a few years ago did ribs on a walmart grill that were to die for! before we hit the river one morning, we all half-drank about 10 beers.
he did his doctoring to the ribs while the coals were burning down
laid the half full cans on their side where the mouth was pointing upward so the beer stayed in
laid out the ribs across the laid down cans
closed the lid and hit the river
about 5 sloppy drunk hours later, those ribs were unbelieveable
I have always wanted to try that myself but have not

sanjuan23
06-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Anyone a fan of Gordon's Grub Rub.. I have used it on the Beer Can Chicken on several ocassions and it turns out great. Only drawback is a pretty high sugar content which will get pretty black after some time. But it does great to keep the chicken really moist.